Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a problemn accessing their Turn-by-Turn Nav thru Onstar? I tried several times with the reps. and they said it was currently inactive and unable to use. They also patched me through to the service techs and they said the problem was 'fixed', but to no avail.

I'm thinking I need to give it some more time to settle in as I just purchased my Acadia 5 days ago....just curious. Oh, and I have an SLT-1, no nav., no DVD.

UPDATE 03-26-2007

I took a stab at trying it out again and now it works!!! :rock: :blob: I guess I just needed to give it a couple of days to set up with the Onstar folks. I also noticed while driving through some parts of Arlington, VA that the T-B-T Nav isn't covered in all areas. The Onstar rep told me that even though the vehicle has cell phone coverage, it also needs data coverage. In order for the Acadia to receive the directions it has to be in an area that supports the bandwith to carry the data info. Interesting! As soon as I hit RT. 66 it kicked back in. I can see why Adam is having trouble in his area...he might not have the data coverage needed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Re: Turn-by-Turn Navigation

Thanks for posting the poll!! :thumb: :thumb:

We can not have Turn by Turn due to Verizon not a cell option here in the southern Kentucky area. I was really hoping that it would work.

Adam

·
Registered
125 Posts

Adam, what does Verizon have to do with OnStar Turn-by-Turn?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Adam...I guess it pays to read that huge sign saying, READ BEFORE YOU POST!
It really works! 8)

I'm in the MD/DC area and I KNOW it can't be related to me being in a no coverage zone....

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

No problems using it here... (then again, we live smack dab in the middle of Verizon country. In fact, they employ me. In fact, this post is coming from a verizon building >:D )

·
Registered
322 Posts

MrBiz said:
Onstar uses Verizon for their phone service. The way the Turn-by-Turn directions work is though the phone service....

·
Registered
322 Posts

Videla3 said:
Adam...I guess it pays to read that huge sign saying, READ BEFORE YOU POST!
It really works! 8)
:blob: :blob: :thumb: :thumb: :rofl: :hyper: :cheers: :cheers:

WWWWWOOOOHHHHOOO!!! We have a reader!

Thanks!

Adam Boca

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts

Adam Boca said:
MrBiz said:
Onstar uses Verizon for their phone service. The way the Turn-by-Turn directions work is though the phone service....
So say I'm on a road trip and depending on the Turn-by-Turn directions to guide me because I have no clue where I am... suddenly I'm in an anti-Verizon part of the country... I'm dead in the water? That seems nutty. I thought it depended on a satellite, not a cell tower. :-\

Having said that, I haven't tried it out yet.

·
Registered
322 Posts

All I know is that we can not use it because there is no Verizon coverage in our area.

·
Registered
497 Posts

No problems accessing and activating Turn-by-turn naviation from OnStar. However, I didn't find it as accurate or flexible as the NAV system. Really stinks that it doesn't work where there isn't Verizon coverage.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Are you getting OnStar Turn by Turn for free during the first year? I thought just the Safe and Sound Plan was included in the free trial.

·
Registered
246 Posts

According to www.onstar.com, the Acadia comes with the Directions and Connections plan. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

It comes with EVERY feature that onstar offers.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Adam Boca said:
All I know is that we can not use it because there is no Verizon coverage in our area.
Adam,
Does that mean that if I request T-by-T from OnStar to drive from DC to the Corvette Museum, that I'd lose directions where Verizon doesn't have service?

·
Registered
322 Posts

Acadia4VA-WV said:
Adam Boca said:
Adam,
Does that mean that if I request T-by-T from OnStar to drive from DC to the Corvette Museum, that I'd lose directions where Verizon doesn't have service?
I think they are not offering new service in our area. There are tons of towers around, but non that are owned by Verizon.

Adam

·
Registered
125 Posts

Wow, it's interesting that Turn by Turn is standard on the Acadia, but it is an upgrade on the Outlook. Score for GMC.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Adam Boca said:
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Adam Boca said:
Adam,
I think they are not offering new service in our area. There are tons of towers around, but non that are owned by Verizon.

Adam the reason you do not have Turn by Turn is your house is in an area that is not covered or maintained by Verizon. If you have an address that falls inside of Verizons network the Turn by Turn will work just fine. In fact as long as you got the directions outside of the area that doesn't have Verizon the Turn by Turn will still work. Meaning If I downloaded a route from here in Washington and drove to Adams house I would have the directions the entire way including right in front of Adams house, because I contacted and downloaded the route inside the Verizon network.

Adam

·
Registered
218 Posts

acadia7j100001 said:
Adam, can you actually talk to OnStar, but not get turn by turn?? or can you not even contact OnStar?
His OnStar does work, but since he is in an area that is not a Verizon area he cannot connect to the Data Packet part of the Cell towers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts