GMC Acadia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wandering around some automotive sites and came across superchargers so my question is does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that produces a turbo or supercharger for the 3.6 litre that will bolt on to our trucks?

·
Registered
540 Posts
DSNY FN said:
So I was wandering around some automotive sites and came across superchargers so my question is does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that produces a turbo or supercharger for the 3.6 litre that will bolt on to our trucks?

I had emailed a few companies a while ago to see if they made a turbo or supercharger for the Acadia. I remember getting one email stating that they didn't make anything for the Acadia as of that time. I was at the dealer watching a technician changing a power steering pump in the Acadia while I was waiting for parts. I asked him how the pump was to change. In his words "It SUCKS". There is no room. He let me check out the Acadia that was on the lift to see where things were located. So room to add anything in the engine compartment is tight.
Now if they made a kit like they do for the Corvette's it would be nice. They place the turbo's at the back of the exhaust. You have to run oil feed lines,oil return lines,(oil return pump-Thanks Blue ;)and the charged air tube to the air intake. It could go where the resenators are or modify the muffler and fit it in there. I don't need this for my Acadia but it is always nice to know its available. >:D

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I think a supercharger would be nice, but there just isn't the space for it unless you throw turbo's in the exhaust area as stated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll bet with the 3.6 Camaro's coming online, that somebody will step up to the plate & produce something for this engine. I know that the CTS already had the 3.6, but not many Caddy owners are rodders/gearheads. JMO.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
DeForger said:
...Now if they made a kit like they do for the Corvettes it would be nice. They place the turbos at the back of the exhaust. You have to run oil feed lines, oil return lines, and the charged air tube to the air intake. It could go where the resonators are or modify the muffler and fit it in there. I don't need this for my Acadia but it is always nice to know it's available. >:D
Well, you could always make your own, don't forget the pump for the oil return line EDIT eh?:

:)

I thought the sleeper 12 second Dodge Caravans with the factory turbo motor were pretty cool, but something like that on the Acadia would never fly around here.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Well, you could always make your own, don't forget the pump for the oil return line EDIT eh?:

:)

I thought the sleeper 12 second Dodge Caravans with the factory turbo motor were pretty cool, but something like that on the Acadia would never fly around here.
Hi Blue,
I made the edit in the original posting and added the oil return line pump. I know that was mentioned for the Corvette installation. Just forgot to add it. This picture you posted with the turbo is in a Caravan? The return oil line has a little mud around it. Ground clearance is low. With a little imagination anything is possible. I heard that a lot in Disney but it fits here too.

Bobby

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as was mentioned the Camaro with the 3.6 being released should hopefully start the ball rolling for thrid parties to start producing more performance mods etc for the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
DeForger said:
Hi Blue,
...This picture you posted with the turbo is in a Caravan? The return oil line has a little mud around it. Ground clearance is low. With a little imagination anything is possible. I heard that a lot in Disney but it fits here too.

Bobby
That turbo is on my 1995 Trans Am. It has picked up some weeds/debris but never scraped anything. The Dodge FWD turbo setups (like in my Daytona) all put the turbo behind the motor- hard to get to, but good placement for less lag.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer I bought my truck from just ordered a supercharger for a 3.6 litre G8 so they are being made I just wonder if the application would cross over without modification to the Acadia the G8 is rear drive and the engine thus mounted differently than in our trucks.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
DSNY FN said:
The dealer I bought my truck from just ordered a supercharger for a 3.6 litre G8 so they are being made I just wonder if the application would cross over without modification to the Acadia the G8 is rear drive and the engine thus mounted differently than in our trucks.
The 5L40 5-speed in the G8 is rated to handle only up to 260 lb-ft of torque, so I wonder if they do anything to beef it up prior to the supercharger install (stock, the LY7 in the G8 puts out 248 lb-ft).

The 6T75 6-speed in the lambdas is rated for up to 301 lb-ft (stock, the LLT puts out 270 lb-ft), so there is a little more of a cushion there.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
VVEERRYY Interesting! I wonder hao much work it would be to mod the 3800 supercharger and make it fit?

I like superchargers over turbo's - quicker response, less maintenance headaches.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'd say it is a matter of finding the room under hood. If they can put two blowers/turbos under the hood of a late model Corvette, someone will figure out how to do it for the Lambda. Geo makes a good point about the transaxle, does GM make anything larger in the way of a transaxle? Not as easy as going from a 4L60 to a 4L80 I guess.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
No one mentioned that fuel should be changed to 93 octane, or above, to keep from blowing the fire out in the c-chamber when you ROMP on it!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Closest thing I could find was a PCM retune for after your mods.

Year / Model
Acadia
Product
Price / Code
Purchase

2007-2008 GMC GMC Acadia 3.6L ***Customized PCM (You must send your PCM for modification)
Need VIN and PCM Service number
$495.00

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
OH BOY I can hear the clank of $$ now :help:

·
Registered
131 Posts
mrvids said:
Closest thing I could find was a PCM retune for after your mods.

Year / Model
Acadia
Product
Price / Code
Purchase

2007-2008 GMC GMC Acadia 3.6L ***Customized PCM (You must send your PCM for modification)
Need VIN and PCM Service number
$495.00
Who is the vendor for the PCM flash? Do you have a link by chance?

·
Registered
87 Posts
That 3.6 motor is built in Canada. Sad
Guess that means it was cheaper to build up here and is gonna last longer than if it was built in the states :poke:.

Not really sure why mrvids would make a comment like that. Or am I missing the humor..

Back on topic. I'd be all over a S/C for this thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.