GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let you all know that I will be working on putting an STS turbo system into my 'Cadia. I have contacted STS and asked if they have a system that would work. They told me that they had a couple that could possibly be used but wanted me to "volunteer" my 'Cadia for them to test on....sorry, no can do. As far as all the issues that are happening with the tranny shifting and the sluggish take off is because of the torque management system that GM put into the computers. I also know that they had tranny computer issues and have been giving updates at the dealership. But, I had the same problem in my Colorado and the fix was a company called PCMforless. They increased the rev limiter, speed limiter and removed the torque management and what a difference it made. It was a totally different truck. So I contacted them (again) but for the 'Cadia and they are trying to track down a computer from the junk yard so they can start on it. I paid $150 for the Colorado pcm swapout so I would imagine it will be some where around the same price. I'll keep you all posted..... :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you go this route, what's the impact on the new vehicle warranty? I lease my cars and that turns out to be a significant issue.

Just askin' :-\

·
Registered
752 Posts
OOOOOOH, I am definately interested in how the turbo works for you. :blob: :blob: :blob: Good luck and keep us posted.
I just had my trans reflashed last week and I really like the way it runs now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a bolt on affair, nothing permanent, not like a typical turbo system. You usually remove the muffler and put the turbo system where the muffler was (bolt on) and plump all the pipes to the engine compartment. They have a universal system that they pointed me too but reminded me that it is without any tuning and piping. So, I guess I will wait until they get enough of us to request it so they can hurry and put a kit together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also made my own K&N filter box and removed the screen in the MAF... you can clearly hear the motor deep breathing under hard excelleration. I'll try to post some pictures when I get home....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry crousesp, you were talking about the PCM right? You are going to have to do the same thing I am doing know and scour the junk yard (part search-engine) for a PCM for the 'Cadia and send it to pcmforless so they can do their majic for us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you look into Banks engineering to see if they have any turbo systems. I know they normally work on Diesel, GMC, etc...It will be cool to see an acadia with some more power...keep me posted on your progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I haven't been on for a while. No, I didn't even consider Banks for a turbo kit. STS does have a universal kit for a v-6 (low boost, 5psi), that is not gonna cut it. I found a company in Australia that does tune work on the Alloytec v-6 (the same 3.6 we have). The problem is that they need the vehicle for a perfect tune with a turbo (makes sense). No one here in the states is even considering the Acadia for performance mods. You have to look into cadillac cts or thier smaller suv with the same motor. They are familiar with the new direct injection 3.6 with 300 hp, they have the commodore with the same motor, that's where I got my K&N filter in early '07 for my Acadia. I have a neighbor that has a porche cayanne turbo that I am secretly setting up an assault with. I paid less than 30k for my Acadia and he paid over 90k for his porche. I run into him every day on the way to and from work, so you can see I am pretty determinded.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Acadia Turbo vs Porsche Cayenne? Now THAT I want to see!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Did pcmforless mention if he does any tuning work with the PCM, or just the basics like you had done? Bryan (from pcmforless) did several tunes for my original Firebird motor, and also my new 383. He's a good guy to deal with - I'd trust any work that he does.

Now how do I tell my wife I want to mess with the tune on her vehicle that we don't pick up until Tuesday? :angel:

I'd love to see how the STS system would work on the Acadia. Maybe need bigger injectors?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Aclavelook said:
Acadia Turbo vs Porsche Cayenne? Now THAT I want to see!!
thats not even a contest...... ill go with the PORSCHE anytime! ;D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Actually, I'd prefer to see a V8 option for the Acadia with some sort of MDS system.

That was one of only a few things that kept me out of a Grand Cherokee SRT8.

Good luck with the turbo system - let us know how it works out. :cheers:

·
Registered
812 Posts
toasteroven said:
Actually, I'd prefer to see a V8 option for the Acadia with some sort of MDS system.

That was one of only a few things that kept me out of a Grand Cherokee SRT8.

Good luck with the turbo system - let us know how it works out. :cheers:
AGREE!!!!! :clap2: dont forget the Grand Cherokee SRT8 is one of the fastest SUV around.... i just love the low stance --- the wide wheels, the center dual exhaust and the tight fender gaps. Almost bought one except for the mpg and Chrysler crappy reliabilty......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts