GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would folks mind posting some pictures of each to help me decide? TIA :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,698 Posts
Ted K said:
Would folks mind posting some pictures of each to help me decide? TIA :thumb:
The appearance is very similar but the tricoat will be challenging in a repaint situation I suspect. My vote is for Summit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,751 Posts
Ted K said:
Would folks mind posting some pictures of each to help me decide? TIA :thumb:
Search the forum; there are plenty of pics of both
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
mikemu said:
The appearance is very similar but the tricoat will be challenging in a repaint situation I suspect. My vote is for Summit.
Same opinion here - impossible to match if you ever need a panel repainted just like silver or gold cars are also hard to match if you have an accident. Save your money for other stuff and get the Summit White - also keep in mind that the Summit white on the Acadia is not the standard GM Summit white that is VERY white (work truck white). It is a bit creamier on the Acadia for some reason even though it has the same name. I read somewhere on the forum that the White Diamond Tricoat is Summit white with a second coat of metallic, plus clear coat (3 stage paint), so that's why it's creamier I guess. Also why it would be tough to match in an accident - how metallic the paint is is going to depend on the person spraying it!

You can see pics of my 11' Summit White Acadia in a thread I started a month or so ago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,751 Posts
maybeacadia said:
Same opinion here - impossible to match if you ever need a panel repainted just like silver or gold cars are also hard to match if you have an accident. Save your money for other stuff and get the Summit White - also keep in mind that the Summit white on the Acadia is not the standard GM Summit white that is VERY white (work truck white). It is a bit creamier on the Acadia for some reason even though it has the same name. I read somewhere on the forum that the White Diamond Tricoat is Summit white with a second coat of metallic, plus clear coat (3 stage paint), so that's why it's creamier I guess. Also why it would be tough to match in an accident - how metallic the paint is is going to depend on the person spraying it!

You can see pics of my 11' Summit White Acadia in a thread I started a month or so ago.
FWIW; my 07 was rear ended and required a lot of new parts. One of them was the entire rear liftgate; this part was shipped from LDT with only primer applied; the collision center matched the paint perfectly and if you don't know; 78U was discontinued after the 08 model year. I was concerned about the paint matching the rest of the vehicle---you can't even tell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,698 Posts
AA/78U said:
FWIW; my 07 was rear ended and required a lot of new parts. One of them was the entire rear liftgate; this part was shipped from LDT with only primer applied; the collision center matched the paint perfectly and if you don't know; 78U was discontinued after the 08 model year. I was concerned about the paint matching the rest of the vehicle---you can't even tell
I think the issue with the tri-coat is the process itself (third coat) which may be tough to replicate in a body shop.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,011 Posts
mikemu said:
I think the issue with the tri-coat is the process itself (third coat) which may be tough to replicate in a body shop.
These days, it's really easier than one might think. You just have to find a good shop with well-trained paint techs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I like the White Diamond personally. While I understand they may be harder to match if you get into an accident, I wouldn't base my decision on what it would take to repair from an accident that hopefully will never happen. At the end of the day you are the one who has to look at it, so go with whatever you think looks better & not which one is easier to get back to normal after repairing from an accident that you haven't even been involved in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,698 Posts
edaddy said:
I like the White Diamond personally. While I understand they may be harder to match if you get into an accident, I wouldn't base my decision on what it would take to repair from an accident that hopefully will never happen. At the end of the day you are the one who has to look at it, so go with whatever you think looks better & not which one is easier to get back to normal after repairing from an accident that you haven't even been involved in.
Well said - the white diamond definitely has a unique and attractive look in certain light conditions but they're tough to tell apart form a distance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
The White Diamond is actually my favorite color on the Acadia but my wife likes silver................. You see who won that battle! :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,011 Posts
mikemu said:
Well said - the white diamond definitely has a unique and attractive look in certain light conditions but they're tough to tell apart form a distance.
:ditto: It's all in the opalescence of the WDT when you get close.

edaddy, are you a one-car family? ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Not a one car family. We had our second child 6 weeks ago and that was our excuse to get an Acadia. Her car will be paid for in June and my brother-in-law wanted mine (not almost paid for), so it worked out for me to sell it & drive the Acadia. Compromise was the name of the game. We plan on having me drive this for a couple of years and then she will take it over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Our first choice would have been red jewel, followed by diamond, and near last was summit and brown.... but we couldn't pass up the price on the quicksilver so thats what we got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
I made my dealer go out of state for the white diamond. I knew if I accepted the silver one he was offering, I would silently cry every time I saw a white diamond. It's all personal preference. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,698 Posts
I considered the white diamond when I ordered mine but then found out there was an additional charge - I said absurd as I'm a cheapskate and ordered the summit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AA/78U said:
Search the forum; there are plenty of pics of both
Sorry, but new to this forum. How do you search photos? Doesn't seem like they are imbedded in any links???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
I looked at both the Summit White and the White Diamond Tricoat when I was shopping for the Acadia last year. Settled on the Summit White. The White Diamond appeared differently depending on the light situation. Sometimes it appeared Beige to me. I'm not knocking it, it's a nice color, just like the rich look of white.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,698 Posts
centurion said:
I looked at both the Summit White and the White Diamond Tricoat when I was shopping for the Acadia last year. Settled on the Summit White. The White Diamond appeared differently depending on the light situation. Sometimes it appeared Beige to me. I'm not knocking it, it's a nice color, just like the rich look of white.
I agree - a very unique and variable look under different lighting conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Well, I loved the WDT. And I bought one - without regard to any future potential repair work. That was definitely not a deciding factor. I liked the Summit White as well, but standing next to my car in the sunlight - ah - beautiful. I just thought the color looked "classy" w/ the chrome trim. But, as is often said, YMMV[/color] ;) Smooth <><

 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top