GMC Acadia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone (who has driven in snow with 19's) tell me how they handle...
I just ordered my Acadia with 19's (because they looked good). Not realizing that the tread was actually going to be different (Yes, I am a woman). I don't think about treads. But now have read several comments about 19's being performance and not good in snow. I live in Canada and we get about 8 months of SNOW!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
maybe u can get an alternate set of wheels and tires off ebay or something. I seen the 18's with tires for sale on ebay a bunch, bet u can can pick em off cheap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
pixiestix said:
Can anyone (who has driven in snow with 19's) tell me how they handle...
I just ordered my Acadia with 19's (because they looked good). Not realizing that the tread was actually going to be different (Yes, I am a woman). I don't think about treads. But now have read several comments about 19's being performance and not good in snow. I live in Canada and we get about 8 months of SNOW!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!
What part of Canada gets 8 months of Snow and has roads?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The dealer can change the order up to a certain point of production code. Otherwise, you may want to cancel the order and have it re-ordered. In addition to the difference in tread, 19" tires are also more expensive to replace and I was told their tread life is not as long as the 18".

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Your Acadia has tires that are labeled M/S or Mud/Snow. My 18" tires are M/S. You should be okay unless you want to go with Blizzak snow tires in the winter. I would try the factory Mud/Snow tires that come with the car. I have not gone through a winter with ours yet, but the tread design is for mud and snow. I would stay with the tires that come with your Acadia as you also have plenty of ground clearance to go with it + 5000 lbs. AWD the better

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also live in Canada and concerned about the few months of snow that we get. Still debating between the 18" and 19" wheels. I've heard from people on this site that 18" wheels give you a more comfortable ride than 19" wheels.

I've included a couple of links from the Good Year site which shows the difference in tires.

19" Wheels,

http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/results_size.jsp?treadwidth=255&aspectratio=60&rimdiameter=19

18" Wheels,

http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/results_size.jsp?treadwidth=255&aspectratio=65&rimdiameter=18

I'm not tire expert, but what I can see is that the 18" wheels give you a slightly better comfort but you loose on the safety of traction on wet and snow covered roads and highways.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The 18inch tires are more expensive then the 19 tires to replace. about 200 overall. I also would rather have had the fortera tread design over the eagles but the outlook i got had the touring package.

I am in NH so i know about winters. Since the 19's are new, you and i shouldnt have an issue this winter(AWD will help)

i am worried about next winter though but hopefully by then there will be a bigger selection
I would agree though that most M/S tires suck in the winter

·
Registered
284 Posts
The 19" tires are a performance all-season variety, and used on many different cars, and are fine in all kinds of weather. Of course, not as well suited to bad weather as the knobbier 18" tires can be, but still not bad.

If you're really worried, I'd go with the 18's. If not, stay with the 19's, enjoy the look, and just enjoy the crisper response when it isn't bad out...and take a tad extra care when it is.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pixiestix -- I got my Acadia in mid-February and can tell you that the combination of the 19" tires and Stabilitrack will be more than sufficient to get you through just about anything we get up here.

I had no issues with the vehicle in the snow even when I tried to push it (I'm an old RWD-in-the-snow fan...); the Acadia just kept on going where it was pointed.

I'm with Canuck - "what part of Canada gets 8 months of Snow and has roads?"

Cheers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!
OK, I exaggerated (maybe slightly) on the eight months (although I have seen snow in October and in June the same year (and that would be nine months ) I'm in Northern Manitoba and we deffinitely can count on 6-7 months most years........
I feel better after reading everyones posts and looking at the links to the tires.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
pixiestix said:
Thanks everyone!
OK, I exaggerated (maybe slightly) on the eight months (although I have seen snow in October and in June the same year (and that would be nine months ) I'm in Northern Manitoba and we deffinitely can count on 6-7 months most years........
I feel better after reading everyones posts and looking at the links to the tires.....
Ok are you planning on racing the Polar Bears? or just go looking from them. I use to live in Saskatchewan and yes it snow at the extremes but I would suggest in today world (Global warming) it is closer to 4-5 months max and not full time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
gbakay said:
I also live in Canada and concerned about the few months of snow that we get. Still debating between the 18" and 19" wheels. I've heard from people on this site that 18" wheels give you a more comfortable ride than 19" wheels.

I've included a couple of links from the Good Year site which shows the difference in tires.

19" Wheels,

http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/results_size.jsp?treadwidth=255&aspectratio=60&rimdiameter=19

18" Wheels,

http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/results_size.jsp?treadwidth=255&aspectratio=65&rimdiameter=18

I'm not tire expert, but what I can see is that the 18" wheels give you a slightly better comfort but you loose on the safety of traction on wet and snow covered roads and highways.
I'm curious why you conclude that the 18" tires are more comfortable, when they don't have a comfort "index". On the two links, the 19" are an eight, with quiet ride of nine. The 18" tires compare "offroad capability" instead of comfort. Am I missing the connection here?

And yes, I have the 19" wheels, but I find the ride tremendously comfortable.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think the 18's are considered more "comfortable" because there is a 1/2" more of flexible rubber and air (vs. metal wheel) between the car and the road. They should provide slightly more flex or give over potholes, railroad tracks, etc. On smooth roads, it shouldn't make much difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[/quote]

I'm curious why you conclude that the 18" tires are more comfortable, when they don't have a comfort "index". On the two links, the 19" are an eight, with quiet ride of nine. The 18" tires compare "offroad capability" instead of comfort. Am I missing the connection here?

And yes, I have the 19" wheels, but I find the ride tremendously comfortable.
[/quote]

I've done more research on comfort and traction

18" Tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Fortera+HL+Edition&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=565SR8FORTHL#Survey

19" Tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+RS-A&partnum=56HR9RSA&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=0&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=S#Survey

Notice the survey between the two, If you would buy them again? Deep snow traction, Ice traction and comfort.

These are rated by actual people that bought or owned these tires.

·
Registered
389 Posts
OK, I exaggerated (maybe slightly) on the eight months
Kinda like we exaggerate about it being 110+ degrees from all summer (May to September) when really, we only have seen about 30 days at or over 110 degrees this summer....and that is a record. It is easy to exaggerate when you live in an extreme climate.

I hope you Acadia gets you to and from where you need to go safely in all that snow!!! Do your roads get cleared regularly? A lot of people I know who live in very snowy climates don't worry about it because the roads are efficiently cleared of the snow unless it is a crazy blizzard and everyone just stays home. The place to worry about driving in snow are the places that seldom get it - like in Portland, OR where I am from. It would snow maybe once or twice a year (only a few inches or less) and closed the place down. Not enough road clearing equipment and people were not used to driving in it. It is a mess.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't quite understand where you are coming from. According to the links, the 18 beat the 19 in every single category. The 19's never have an 8 (much less a 9) in any of the rankings.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I finally found this link. It should answer a lot of the snow questions. I included the main snow part below:

" Turned south for the next 13 miles into the Natl Forest and to the cabin. No plows had been here and the snow was still coming down and 4" with just a set of car tracks. As I proceeded south and up into the forest and the next ridge to climb, was amazed at how competent Acadia is, and never saw the traction light some on. Had to pull over into full snow to let other cars and three Allegheny Power trucks pass. Got to about 6" deep with less prior traffic when I turned for the last 7 miles. Even though it was snowing hard, it was a beautiful afternoon. Acadia just plowed through at 15-22 MPH on a rated 35 MPH road.

When I got to our property, I was concerned about coming up our 400' of drive with about 5% rise after slowing to turn in--with 6" of virgin snow. Acadia didn't falter, and only lit the traction control right after turning into the drive. Cruised right on up and was parked, safe and sound. Then had to take the dog to the vet (scheduled appt.), down the mountain to the next valley road. The climb down our drive, up and over the next ridge, through the gap, and down very steep and windy unplowed road with 6" snow was flawlessly executed by Acadia.

This is the link to the whole thing.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=455.0

·
Registered
1 Posts
glad to hear about the performance of the Acadia AWD. We just ordered one, we will be driving in snow in Red River, NM. Hope that it will go up a snowy hill when we go snow shoeing at the Enchanted Forest near Red River, My 04 Honda did just fine, so I hope the Acadia does the same.

Has anybody driven in Red River mountain snow roads? Or any where else where the AWD is used?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Re: Re: trouble in snow with 19's

gomez2351 said:
glad to hear about the performance of the Acadia AWD. We just ordered one, we will be driving in snow in Red River, NM. Hope that it will go up a snowy hill when we go snow shoeing at the Enchanted Forest near Red River, My 04 Honda did just fine, so I hope the Acadia does the same.

Has anybody driven in Red River mountain snow roads? Or any where else where the AWD is used?
A lot of it also depends on what tires you have. Mine came with goodyear RSA's (19's). I've had these tires before and was never happy with them in the winter, so for peace of mind, i put blizzak winter tires (on 17" wheels) on my acadia and it's an absolute beast in the snow and ice. It will not skid or slide unless i really try to make it break loose (even in icy conditions).

·
Registered
304 Posts
pixiestix said:
Thanks everyone!
Ah northern Manitoba - you might want to consider getting a set of snow tires just for the improved all around traction in cold weather (the rubber is softer for colder temperatures for better traction on dry and wet roads). In your area the temperatures are probably also below zero for at least 7 months of the year, so you may want to ask them to install the block heater and use it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.