GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks kan,

At least we can definitively rule out body work now. Definitely let us know if you find out anything at the dealer when you go. I'm in a similar situation, my dealership is about a 20 mile drive, and the car would be warm enough that it won't make the sound.

bcereus2,

I drove my car yesterday to listen more closely for the neutral sound. At 17 degrees when I first started the car from sitting overnight I was very surprised to find that I could barely hear the noise. After the car sat for about 90 minutes, it was up to 26 degrees outside and the noise was very easy to hear. For me, it is definitely present in Neutral. The only thing I noticed is that the pitch of the sound changes as the car is slowing down in neutral. I can also get the pitch to change slightly when it is in Drive if I push on or back off the accelerator, but it's only a minor pitch change. I don't know if you have also noticed that on yours. It basically seems to change with the speed, to me it seems more related to wheel speed than engine rpms. If I rev the car in neutral while it is making the sound the pitch doesn't seem to change.

I'm not anywhere near the low outside temperatures that you have so that may be making a difference.

As a side note, yesterday afternoon I picked up my kid at school and there was an Infinity SUV (less than 3 years old) idling in the parking lot next to where I parked. This car had the same sound coming from the engine compartment, and it was constant while it was idling. I was not next to it when it drove away to hear if the noise changed/went away, but just wanted to put out more confusing information! At least it's not just American cars...and I know it can be the same sound but something completely different causing it.

As mentioned before, I will post back next week after my appointment at the dealer to see if anybody is familiar with the sound from the recording that I made.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did one experiment today about this, since it was raining. Like last time I put dive mode in FWD when driving in the morning. I couldn't hear any noise on the section of road where I usually here it at certain speeds. Then later I put it in AWD mode once on freeway and I could start hearing slight noise. I think slight noise since already at freeway speeds and gears not cold anymore. But this seems to indicate it might have something to do with AWD mode (at least in my case). So far I haven't been able to replicate the issue in FWD mode.

Since I am past my Bumper-to-Bumper 3yrs/36K warranty, is it valid to assume this issue will be covered under 5yrs/60K Powertrain warranty?

Is dealership suppose to not charge me even for spending labor time on root causing this issue? May be they have to open up few things etc.

Knowing this will ensure Dealership doesn't try to trick me into paying anything.

I also have B-2-B 3rd party warranty for 60K miles, but if things are already covered by GMC warranty, I would like to just use GMC warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My model is an AWD, and with it being a '15 I don't believe I have a way to take it out of AWD unless I've been missing something for the last 4 years.

I would think if the ultimate fix for this ends up being powertrain related then it should be covered under the powertrain warranty, but I don't know how the dealership will go about the diagnostic time, especially if it ends up being something outside of the powertrain coverage. I would definitely explain the situation to them before telling them to diagnostic and see if they can explain what's covered and what's not being that we really don't know where this noise is coming from.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Definitely let us know if you find out anything at the dealer when you go. I'm in a similar situation, my dealership is about a 20 mile drive, and the car would be warm enough that it won't make the sound.
I showed the video to the Service Mgr at the Dealership to see if has seen similar issues with Acadia's before. He didn't seem much interested and asked me to make morning appointment for this specific issue, so that they can then look at it. Also he didn't have clear answer about what will be covered by Power Train warranty for investigating/fixing this issue. From online forums I have read that you should always get estimates first and ask them to clearly state what will and will not be covered under warranty, before allowing them to start working on such issues. But here the Mgr said, unless they start working on it, they won't even know what part of labor costs will be covered just for investigation. :sad:

I also tried another experiment today, driving in AWD mode I could hear slight noise in usual patch of road. Put in Neutral and sound was still there. I believe even though engine get's disengaged, rear gears + drive shaft + part of tranny are still rotating at vehicle speed. So this indicates sound source is somewhere in these parts.

I am going to just wait for next service interval of 45K+ miles and may be just ask them to replace rear diff oil (as mentioned in manual maintenance guide) and see if that fixes the issue. Might ask them to look further into this issue, while they have opened up rear diff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just an update -

Our vehicle is back at the dealer - I had the service tech and service writer ride with me and they were both able to hear the noise.

I then took a 2019 out with the service writer to see if we could hear the noise and we could not.

I haven't heard anything from the dealer yet, but they did mention getting GM involved at this stage.

I'll keep this thread updated when I know more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The dealer is now replacing the transfer case.

We should have the vehicle back tomorrow - I'll update after we get it back.

Apparently they drove several 2018 Acadias they had on their lot and couldn't get any of them to make the same noise. (I didn't think they would be able to)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update.

We got the vehicle back on Tuesday of last week and the sound seems to be gone. I let it sit outside all day today (-10F) then drove it and couldn't hear a thing.

This time around they replaced the transfer case.

All said and done they replaced the rear differential, drive shaft, and transfer case. Now the annoying whine that is in the video on page one of this thread is gone!

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
... Now the annoying whine that is in the video on page one of this thread is gone!
Thank you for the update, bcereus2. :thumb: Hope it stays that way for a long, long time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bcereus2,

I'm really glad to hear that you got the noise fixed.

I've had my Acadia back from the dealer for a week. I drove it a few days this week that had very cold morning temps, low enough that it would have caused the noise to be heard and so far I hear nothing out of the ordinary. In my case, it was the Center Support Bearing on the Drive Shaft. The dealership ended up replacing the front half of the drive shaft opposed to just the bearing. At first they didn't hear the noise but the next morning they drove it again, heard it for a short time and decided to put it on the lift and put it up to 34mph and the noise was very easy to hear under the car.

It's interesting that we had what sounds to be the identical noise but end up with 2 different parts being the culprit. Just to state again, my vehicle is the previous body style (2015).

I know they ultimately replaced 3 parts on yours, out of curiosity when they replaced the drive shaft on yours, do you know if they replaced the entire drive shaft or just one of the halves? I have the part number they installed in mine at home but I'm not there right now, I just know it was the front half for me.

kan,
Since my experience as well as bcereus2's both involved parts of the powertrain, it might be worth rolling the dice with the dealership if you feel confident that your noise is similar. I know you're out of the bumper to bumper warranty, but like you said you would still be covered by the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
kan,
Since my experience as well as bcereus2's both involved parts of the powertrain, it might be worth rolling the dice with the dealership if you feel confident that your noise is similar. I know you're out of the bumper to bumper warranty, but like you said you would still be covered by the powertrain warranty.

Good to hear both of you guys had your issues resolved. It might be a good idea that you put this issue on NHTSA so that if there are enough folks with this issue, GMC might issue a recall and then guys out of warranty won't have to worry about it.

In my case, we don't have lower temps here anymore and I haven't heard this noise for weeks now. And based on my previous experiences with dealerships, don't think they would entertain me, if I am not able to repro the issue. :plain:
I have rear diff fluid change (45K miles) coming up, will try and persuade them to check if they put it on lift and run upto 35-40mph and see if they hear any noise (like in your case).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

The vehicle has been back at the dealer for the past week, and they are currently replacing the drive shaft. (We were supposed to get it back last Thursday but the weather stopped their parts delivery).

I'm hoping this fixes the issue.

They did give us a 2019 Acadia Denali as a loaner and I couldn't get it to make the same noise, even when left outside in the cold.

I'll update this thread once we have the vehicle back.
I have a 2019 Acadia SLT that whines at lower speeds. I noticed that it happens when the motor changes from V6 to V4 mode as you maintain a low speed. Not happy at all..plan to go in this week. You have to go through the display modes on the dash to see the change to v4...happens almost every time

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
I have a 2019 Acadia SLT that whines at lower speeds. I noticed that it happens when the motor changes from V6 to V4 mode as you maintain a low speed. Not happy at all..plan to go in this week. You have to go through the display modes on the dash to see the change to v4...happens almost every time
Welcome to the forum.
Hope your trip to the service center is successful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 2020 acadia that when vehicle is cold it makes the same noise as the video posted on page one. The dealer and gmc say I am crazy and vehicle is normal. They say they cannot identify a problem to fix. Anyone make any headway with a fix? The service director did say he new of issues but gm cannot figure it out. Well wish they would put that in their brochure.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts