GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get others experience on the Tow Mode shift points. I have an '08 SLE built Sept 2007. I have towed a light utility trailer twice now and each time I put it in Tow Mode, the engine spins at 3000rpm while I am cruising at 60mph. There are no inclines and I am not accelerating. I tried to count the number of shifts and it seems that I am in 4th gear at 60mph. Is this normal? It seemed like the engine speed is pretty high for cruising at 60mph with a light utility trailer behind me and that it should be in 5th gear. If it's normal, that's fine, but I just wanted to see if others have noticed this?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have not noticed this but I also do not have the trailer package so I don't think it applies to me. Anyone with the trailer package have feedback?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Skygeezer,

What happens when you are on a slight downhill? Does it shift to 5th, or are you "forever" at the 3,000 rpm range? I ordered the tow pkg, but haven't taken delivery yet. I'll be interested to see how other's towing experiences compare. Have you tried taking it out of tow mode, then using the shift-up feature to put it in 5th yourself?

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey there, all...

I have an 08 SLT/AWD with the towing pkg. I pull a 18' fish & ski boat on a single axle trailer. I believe it weighs around 1700 pounds total. I experienced the same shifting problem while towing. The trans remained in 4th or 5th at 60/65 mph @ 3000 rpms (sucking my gas milage away) while in tow mode. I was pissed, driving 7 hours to Wisconsin one way,from Indiana. By experimenting, I found out that if I sped up to around 70mph or more, the trans then shifted into 6th and I would then ease off the gas to resume back to 65mph as the tach showed approx. 2200/rpms or so. I finally smiled! Of course, while on "cruise" every moderate incline forced an upshift to 4th or 5th again and I had to repeat this process every time. I never had any trans flash update on my "cicada". It's all factory stock. Reason for this is that I get 22/hwy (non towing) . Not bad for an AWD version. Towing the boat with a family of 4 & luggage, I got 17/mpg. Way OK with me. I love this GMC! :cheers:

·
Registered
533 Posts
62Maxx,

Wow, that is some mpg for towing!! I'd be pumped-up too! Some day I'll have to just drive around a bit in "tow mode" and see what happens.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I can't find a table showing the tow/haul mode shift points, just this description:

Tow/Haul Mode Description and Operation

Tow/haul mode is a function within the vehicle's software/calibration that optimizes transmission gear selection for operation during towing or with heavy loads. This optimization includes improving acceleration performance during launches, reducing shift busyness, assisting brake performance and speed control during engine braking situations, and improving vehicle speed control while requiring less throttle pedal activity.

In general, tow/haul mode maintains lower gears longer and increases shift pressures. It is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75% of the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). Operation of tow/haul in a lightly loaded or non-loaded vehicle will not cause damage. However, there is no benefit to the selection of tow/haul when the vehicle is unloaded, and use of tow/haul mode during unloaded driving conditions will decrease fuel economy and may generate shift feel concerns

·
Registered
533 Posts
Geo-Hawk,

Good info here. I think I'll wait until I have a reason to turn on the Tow-mode.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
912 Posts
We noticed no difference in Oct hauling my wifes tent trailer around we towed through the mountains with and without the tow mode engaged. The trailer only weighed in at about 2300 pounds though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts