GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just purchased a used 2015 Acadia. The car is unbelievably clean but I just noticed the gap between the top of the shifter and the chrome trim piece directly underneath it. Is this something that I can fix or does the shifter need to be replaced?

I noticed a used part on eBay had the same issue as well everything is working fine but that gap unsightly.

Pictures attached**

I also did a search but I can't find anything specifically about this.

PXL_20210514_123541338.jpg PXL_20210514_123500982.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,781 Posts
Try to slide the chrome sleeve up to the knob. It may just be a friction fit on the shift lever shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like it's super tight but maybe I was just being too soft with it as to not break anything. I'll try messing with it again though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It seems like it's super tight but maybe I was just being too soft with it as to not break anything. I'll try messing with it again though.
Just super glue that sucker. If there's anything wrong with it, the whole thing needs to come out anyway.

·
Super Moderator
21,781 Posts
The service manual might have a section in it about removing/replacing the shift knob. Could help you with getting things to look right. The manual is available in another forum thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll look into that. Its difficult to grip that slick chrome but I was able to pull the trim up some but it's not perfectly in since with the top shifter. So it now touches in the front but still remains gapped and off center in the back.

PXL_20210514_132550196.jpg PXL_20210514_132722837.jpg

I have a feeling it's going to continue to fall. The super glue is a good idea if the chrome piece was lifting in line perfectly.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You need to pull the whole shifter hand off and see what let loose to affect a good repair.
The shift handle should come off with a firm, steady pull and twist motion back and forth IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
21,781 Posts
Just looking at the gap, it appears as though the previous owner may have been a bit abusive with the shifter.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
You need to pull the whole shifter hand off and see what let loose to affect a good repair.
The shift handle should come off with a firm, steady pull and twist motion back and forth IIRC.
Agree. Looks like the shifter handle needs to be removed and the chrome trim reattached. Agree with the previous post that a little super glue might be needed.

·
Super Moderator
21,781 Posts
Agree. Looks like the shifter handle needs to be removed and the chrome trim reattached. Agree with the previous post that a little super glue might be needed.
-1 It's probably not wise to glue something together that may need to come apart later.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
-1 It's probably not wise to glue something together that may need to come apart later.
Agree, this is not a $500 20 year old K-car. Fix it properly or live with it as is.

·
Super Moderator
21,781 Posts
Reactions: Gmcde3

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
OK, use some duct tape instead of super glue... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Use the shiny stuff and you'll never know it's there! haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
😂😂😂 The part itself isn't that's expensive. I believe it's roughly $50-60. It's the headache of replacing it that's the issue 🤦.

I doubt my inner OCD will allow me to leave it like this 😂 but we'll see.

It also doesn't seem like I can twist the shifter back and forth to shimmy it off, but again I might be being a pansy about it out of fear of breaking it 😂.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
😂😂😂 The part itself isn't that's expensive. I believe it's roughly $50-60. It's the headache of replacing it that's the issue 🤦.

I doubt my inner OCD will allow me to leave it like this 😂 but we'll see.

It also doesn't seem like I can twist the shifter back and forth to shimmy it off, but again I might be being a pansy about it out of fear of breaking it 😂.
You must pull up firmly while slightly twisting the shift handle to remove it. It does take some grunt to pull it upward.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts