GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2018 GMC Acadia SLT with 3.6L engine used mainly for local driving on trips of 20 miles or less. We are not equipped for towing. Current mileage is 58,200 miles. I'm wanting to know if there is any requirement for replacing the transmission fluid and if so, when should it be done. In the owner's manual under the Maintenance Schedule for "Normal Service" it shows no service requirement for transmission fluid whereas under the schedule for "Severe Service" it recommends the fluid be replaced every 72,000 miles. However, the GMC dealer where we have the vehicle serviced says transmission fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles on a vehicle used for "Normal Service" but said we should be okay to wait til 60,000 miles. So which is correct? We're coming up on 60,000 miles and don't want to spend money unnecessarily but neither do I want to risk a transmission problem or void the power train warranty. Any thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Some people feel that short trip driving falls under the category of "severe service" when it comes to vehicle maintenance. It won't hurt anything to follow that schedule. Something in between 'normal' and 'severe' is also OK, IMO. Maintenance isn't very costly and should be considered money well spent.

Reactions: Erickson6111

·
Registered
470 Posts
...the GMC dealer where we have the vehicle serviced says transmission fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles on a vehicle used for "Normal Service"...
My experience with dealerships that promote their own maintenance schedules over the manufacturer's recommendations will generally have you doing twice as much twice as often which only benefits their profit margin. I even had one service manager tell me with a straight face that if I didn't follow their schedule no warranty work would be authorized..... I drove right out of the service department a found a different dealer the next day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dealers are definitely relying on service to keep their doors open, but transmission drain shouldn't be that expensive and isn't a terrible idea.

I will be draining and refilling trans oil regularly, but I won't allow them to flush with solvent

·
Registered
33 Posts
And dealers opinion should have no bearing on warranty, it's all written in the back of your book.

But no oil lasts forever, change is a good thing

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Dealers are definitely relying on service to keep their doors open, ...
Depends on how a dealership is viewed. Without sales, there is no service. How many stand-alone automaker service centers has anyone ever seen?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Dealers are definitely relying on service to keep their doors open, but transmission drain shouldn't be that expensive and isn't a terrible idea.

I will be draining and refilling trans oil regularly, but I won't allow them to flush with solvent
Sales and service go hand in hand. The problem right now is having inventory to sell.

My son left CarMax some years back and is a service advisor at a high volume Subaru dealer. Their front line usually has 50 new cars on it. Today their front line is all used cars. They have a ton of cars in the pipeline and in transit. All are spoken for, each with a line of people waiting to buy when someone cancel an order. New models like the Subaru Wilderness are commanding 5k over MSRP, with no shortage of folks willing to pay the price.

People seem to be buying cars like toilet paper. The market is crazy. My wife has a '17 Forester she bought in fall of '16 for $27k. The dealer where my son works will give he $21k as a trade. That's pretty hard to turn down.

Service wise he is busy as heck. More work than they can handle. Their biggest challenge is finding techs and parts.

As for the OP, I would have the transmission serviced.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
We have a 2018 GMC Acadia SLT with 3.6L engine used mainly for local driving on trips of 20 miles or less. We are not equipped for towing. Current mileage is 58,200 miles. I'm wanting to know if there is any requirement for replacing the transmission fluid and if so, when should it be done. In the owner's manual under the Maintenance Schedule for "Normal Service" it shows no service requirement for transmission fluid whereas under the schedule for "Severe Service" it recommends the fluid be replaced every 72,000 miles. However, the GMC dealer where we have the vehicle serviced says transmission fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles on a vehicle used for "Normal Service" but said we should be okay to wait til 60,000 miles. So which is correct? We're coming up on 60,000 miles and don't want to spend money unnecessarily but neither do I want to risk a transmission problem or void the power train warranty. Any thoughts on this?
As others replied and in my experience, at 58K miles it would be best to change the transmission fluid.
From reading this and other forums, I will have my transmission fluid changed before 40,000 miles on all or our newer vehicles. In fact, on some people are changing it at 20K to 30K miles for the first fluid change. These newer transmission with TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) are more sensitive to aged fluid.

Reactions: Erickson6111

·
Registered
7 Posts

I own a 2013 Acadia SLT with only 24,750 miles on and have never had any of the GMC dealership people ever advise me to change my transmission fluids. I do take it in twice a year for oil changes and filters . Should I suggest it the next time I take it in? It doesn't get driven much or far--short trips mainly. They really want my vehicle traded in but I told them "Nope, it's not even broken in yet and it's going to be my last vehicle." LOL

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
... Should I suggest it the next time I take it in? ...
Warranty considerations are nonexistent. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. It won't 'hurt' anything to do so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts