GMC Acadia Forum banner

Transmission Interchange - NEW FACTS for replacements...!!!

87K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  ACEING 09 
#1 ·
First... I am a mechanic by trade.
Second, I am a Ford/Dodge guy...this is my 1st GM (and maybe my last).

I have rebuilt numerous transmissions and would appreciate only responses by people with 1st hand knowledge to help others in the forums as well...

Valve bodies and solenoids are simple "bolt on" devices inside the tranny pan, and as long as the bolt holes and functions are the same, mixing and matching parts is fine...always has been.

That said, were there changes that would prohibit the installation of a 2010 and later trans into an earlier model, assuming you had a working valvebody, electronics module and all solenoids ???

I can get a very low mile 2011 engine and trans to go in my 2009 and have no problem dropping the pan to swap valvebodies and solenoids if all of the bollt holes line up... I just dont have a manual and I don't have relations with GM reps...I'm a FORD guy, remember... ;-)

I can find no information suggesting internal changes to the transmissions in these vehicles, other than the waveplate update in 2010 and software flashes and possibly different solenoids in 2010 as well. This was common in other trannies as well, when solenoids were changed from low impedence to high impedence or vice versa. This change meant changes to the electronics inside the TCM (Transmission Control Module) as well, and I believe a portion of the TCM on the Acadia is inside the pan/valvebody. I haven't had one of these apart or seen pics, so I don't know yet...but based on the 4L80E in a Firebird, I definitely suspect more than just wires and solenoids inside the pan.

Again, please don't clutter the thread with any information that isn't fact or first hand knowledge...
everyone will thank you.

-David

See less See more
#31 ·
You'll have to swap the whole TEHCM - the 2011 trans uses a newer style.

#34 ·
From my first hand experiences with any and all GM products. It is easy to swap the parts out and the only problem you may run into is the electronic valve bodies. You can use the one that is in your old transmission by keeping it plugged in and bolting it to the inside in place of the new one. If you don’t do that, you’ll have to use your vin number to get your new one calibrated/programmed to your vehicle. Or you can buy one online that they will do that for you. But, if your wanting to buy the set as you spoke of, the easiest way is to re-use your old one in the newer trans body.