GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I’m just wondering about changing transmission fluid on my 14 Acadia we have kept the oil changed like we should we bought in February used. It hasn’t 116,xxx miles on it right now. We have tried to keep with the scheduled service we live in WV so we are going up and down mountains a lot so it has to shift a lot. But how often would you recommend changing it and any tips or things we need to watch for? We have had to replace the power steering pump back in May, we put new spark plugs on it not too long ago. And we keep the oil changed like clockwork! But any tips on transmission service is appreciated

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
A lot of mountainous driving is most likely considered severe driving conditions. In those environments, GM calls for a fluid change every 45k miles.

Do you have any service records? Has that fluid ever been changed?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Long overdue for a trans flush if it's never been changed, especially in mountainous driving.

I have a 2014 and first changed mine at 70,000 miles. Now that I'm towing, I plan on changing every 40,000 miles from here on out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
A lot of mountainous driving is most likely considered severe driving conditions. In those environments, GM calls for a fluid change every 45k miles.

Do you have any service records? Has that fluid ever been changed?
Yes we have the service records from the last owner. It was changed at 98,xxx along with the transfer case fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long overdue for a trans flush if it's never been changed, especially in mountainous driving.

I have a 2014 and first changed mine at 70,000 miles. Now that I'm towing, I plan on changing every 40,000 miles from here on out.
OK did you change yours on your own or take it to a shop? And I will be doing it 40k-45k miles after we change it this weekend! thank you for your help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK did you change yours on your own or take it to a shop? And I will be doing it 40k-45k miles after we change it this weekend! thank you for your help!
I took it to a shop. Though it's fairly straightforward to do a drain and fill, I lack the equipment to do a true transmission flush.

On a flush, they use a pump to pull cleaner through before replacing the fluid and it better pulls out any metal shavings, leftover fluid, etc. than just a drain and fill.

You might want to confirm if it was a flush or a fill, if possible. If it was a full flush, you're probably good until 150,000 miles just driving normally, even in mountains. If you tow anything, then probably around 130,000 miles.

If it was just a drain and fill, probably around 125,000 miles just to get the full flush done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all!
I’m just wondering about changing transmission fluid on my 14 Acadia we have kept the oil changed like we should we bought in February used. It hasn’t 116,xxx miles on it right now. We have tried to keep with the scheduled service we live in WV so we are going up and down mountains a lot so it has to shift a lot. But how often would you recommend changing it and any tips or things we need to watch for? We have had to replace the power steering pump back in May, we put new spark plugs on it not too long ago. And we keep the oil changed like clockwork! But any tips on transmission service is appreciated
RE: Your power steering pump.... I have been hearing a whine for quite a while now, checked my levels, all o.k., but I suspect it's the power steering pump. How did you know that's what it was when you replaced? Guys, bear with me, grandmother here!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took it to a shop. Though it's fairly straightforward to do a drain and fill, I lack the equipment to do a true transmission flush.

On a flush, they use a pump to pull cleaner through before replacing the fluid and it better pulls out any metal shavings, leftover fluid, etc. than just a drain and fill.

You might want to confirm if it was a flush or a fill, if possible. If it was a full flush, you're probably good until 150,000 miles just driving normally, even in mountains. If you tow anything, then probably around 130,000 miles.

If it was just a drain and fill, probably around 125,000 miles just to get the full flush done.
Why anyone would want to run any kind of cleaner thru the trans is beyond me. 🤦🏻‍♂️
A properly functioning trans doesn’t need anything but a drain n fill.

If you service it regularly, you don’t even need to flush out all the fluid from the lines, cooler, converter, etc. The fluid coming out shouldn’t be WORN OUT AND TOAST. It should be perfectly good and healthy fluid that you’re swapping for fresh Lube. If the oil coming out is toast, you’ve waited too far and damage has been done to the trans at that point.

I own a service shop. I have experience with these things for many many years. We don’t even own a flushing machine. You don’t want to FORCE any fluid thru the transmission.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why anyone would want to run any kind of cleaner thru the trans is beyond me. 🤦🏻‍♂️
A properly functioning trans doesn’t need anything but a drain n fill.

If you service it regularly, you don’t even need to flush out all the fluid from the lines, cooler, converter, etc. The fluid coming out shouldn’t be WORN OUT AND TOAST. It should be perfectly good and healthy fluid that you’re swapping for fresh Lube. If the oil coming out is toast, you’ve waited too far and damage has been done to the trans at that point.

I own a service shop. I have experience with these things for many many years. We don’t even own a flushing machine. You don’t want to FORCE any fluid thru the transmission.
You may own a shop, but I disagree entirely. The torque converter is a weak point in the vehicles (at least Gen 1) and a drain and fill will leave old fluid in the torque converter. Probably other parts of the trans as well.

More importantly, the ATRA disagrees with you as well. A full exchange is favored as long as the pan and filter are being inspected and cleaned/replaced as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all!
If you can do your own oil changes, go ahead and change it. Catch pan, wrench, replacement fluid, long funnel and a little patience. I have a 2009 bought new.....changed fluid twice 98,000 and 105,000. Changing leaves a significant quantity of fluid in the torque converter so multiple changes continually increases the percentage of new fluid. Some people do it several times to increase the % of new. Two was fine for me. Personally not a fan of the power flush, removes all the fluid, but I think it can disturb too much in the tranny and cause other problems.

I drained it, and then put the used fluid in an old empty 5qt. oil container with the clear site level on the side. Also used a sharpie and tape measure to put graduations on the empty oil container. Comes with some but I wanted more accuracy. Starting point for refilling. DON'T WANT TO OVER FILL. Refill with the quantity calculated. FYI I purchased 4qt.& 1qt containers of Valvoline full synthetic compatible with my transmission. Basically the 4qt. and a little from 1qt got me in ballpark.

Now get your favorite beverage and start car.....letting it reach operating temperature. From here it's simply check level, add a small amount, let it run, check level, add...etc...etc. You know where I'm going with this;). When level is within tolerances on dip stick, you're done.
As mine is not severe duty I will do again 130-135,000.

·
Super Moderator
20,302 Posts
More importantly, the ATRA disagrees with you as well. A full exchange is favored as long as the pan and filter are being inspected and cleaned/replaced as well.
ATRA is not the be all to end all. Their advisories are written in generalities. If someone wants a near complete fluid exchange, they can do what member rbarrios does - drain/fill, drive a few thousand miles, drain/fill again. Do that 3 times and you're done!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RE: Your power steering pump.... I have been hearing a whine for quite a while now, checked my levels, all o.k., but I suspect it's the power steering pump. How did you know that's what it was when you replaced? Guys, bear with me, grandmother here!
I would take it to a shop to be 100% sure in your case mine was leaking. We got it check and was the power steering pumping. But you can message me and I can try to answer any questions you may have! I didn’t know anything about cars til my husband taught me so yo are fine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts