GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it's time. Let's get on with this fix. Enough GM Croporate BS! This car is just not safe to drive the way it is. I about got rearended just trying to pull out of my office this morning. I am on a blind curve and have to make a sharp right into traffic, this car is gutless......Looks like an Acura is in my future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
I actually like the way the transmission is set up. It gives me the option to take it slow and economical, or to give it some gas and accelerate nicely. Why not just press on the pedal a little bit more if you're almost getting rear ended? I would say this is more of a driver error than a car error. I have driven on 2-lane highways with the car full of luggage and people in 110 degree heat AC blasting and I am passing up multiple cars and trucks at a time with ease, pushing 105MPH and actually beating out a Porsche Cayanne. Then, when I am just cruising around town I like to take it slow, so I go light on the pedal. I believe the issue is you, not the car. Maybe you need to practice driving it a little bit more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gnarboots11 said:
I actually like the way the transmission is set up. It gives me the option to take it slow and economical, or to give it some gas and accelerate nicely. Why not just press on the pedal a little bit more if you're almost getting rear ended? I would say this is more of a driver error than a car error. I have driven on 2-lane highways with the car full of luggage and people in 110 degree heat AC blasting and I am passing up multiple cars and trucks at a time with ease, pushing 105MPH and actually beating out a Porsche Cayanne. Then, when I am just cruising around town I like to take it slow, so I go light on the pedal. I believe the issue is you, not the car. Maybe you need to practice driving it a little bit more.
You are a woman, Right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
You are a woman, Right?
[/quote]

What kind of question is that? I am and I drive like a lead foot. My husband took my Acadia yesterday and I had FUN driving the G. I stomped on the pedal to get it to go on the toll way and had fun passing people. The point: his G is a sports car it is SUPPOSED to have big time zoom, the Acadia not as much.

I don't think gender has anything to do with if one likes this tranny or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
I find our AWD to be fine from a standstill, the real issue for me is punching it at 40 MPH or so. That is where ours can not decide what to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
I test drove an 08 Acadia last Saturday and tried to confuse the transmission by either downshifting/upshifthing when it shouldn't have. Granted, I only drove it about 15 minutes, but I could not get the transmission to act that way. Any idea if the new 08s have the upgraded software? The car was a great drive...love the tight turning radius.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
My issue with the tranny is this: I expect a certain throttle position to yield a certain, guaranteed, near constant rate of acceleration. The Acadia's acceleration is far from constant ... it falters, requires add'l pedal input, then kicks down a gear to accelerate more than desired. I've never driven a car with worse acceleration behavior. This "smart" transmission should be tuned to drive with predictable acceleration. Come on GM -- get your engineers to do their job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I agree with zman, there are certain speed points and parameters where it seems the vehicle has hesitation while deciding. It is aggrivating if you expect full excelleration and get the hesitation. Makes you wonder if it just died.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I'm happy with the way my Acadia drives. I've had turbo Saabs and V8 Mustangs, and realize that this is a very different, larger vehicle that carries eight people. The tranny is clearly set up for fuel economy, but I find it goes just fine when I hit the accelerator.

No complaints from this male on the board. One of the Saabs I had was an automatic, and they did a reflash on it, and I have to admit it improved it quite a bit, so who knows. :cheers: Erik
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
vierenner said:
My issue with the tranny is this: I expect a certain throttle position to yield a certain, guaranteed, near constant rate of acceleration. The Acadia's acceleration is far from constant ... it falters, requires add'l pedal input, then kicks down a gear to accelerate more than desired. I've never driven a car with worse acceleration behavior. This "smart" transmission should be tuned to drive with predictable acceleration. Come on GM -- get your engineers to do their job.
Amen.

To the OP, have you called the dealer to find out if there is an update available? You failed to mention if you did.

As for your comment aimed at gnarboots, it was unwarranted. HE does have a point. Maybe it was more driver error not gauging the other cars speed, environment/situational factors, etc. I don't think anyone has complained about the pickup on the Acadia.

Except for early owners, like myself, that had it before the first tranny reflash in March.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Technically mid August isn't until noon on Thursday the 16th. ;D

It's ready, but out of my hands at this point. It's now a process thing that takes some time. It'll be at the dealers in August, but I'm not sure of the exact date yet.


We're trying to work with NY_Joe and his schedule so he can be the first to get the update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,695 Posts
lzwhb2,
When you say "it'll be at the dealers in August", what do you mean? When I had a reflash done about 3 weeks ago, they actually logged on to GM DealerWorld and flashed the tranny over the internet. I know this because I watched them try to do it one day and the internet was down so I had to return the next day. I'm sure that this is a very effecient way to get the new program to the dealers but I worry that the program may get corrupted when passing through the internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
TMMAR said:
lzwhb2,
When you say "it'll be at the dealers in August", what do you mean?
I mean it will be available to the dealers to update your vehicle. The plant is currently building with it, but the dealers don't have it yet to update existing vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,695 Posts
If the plant is building with it, why isn't it available to the dealers now? It doesn't take that much effort to put it up on their web site so that the dealer can reflash existing vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I agree with the original poster (on the performance issue only!); I find that my Acadia has an off-the-line hesitation that really gets in the way when I'm trying to turn into traffic from a standing start.

My Dad's old Volare did this too; it's why we sent it to the wreckers -- it's no fun to enter traffic when you know you have lots of space & time, only to have someone right on your back bumper as soon as you do because the car won't get out of its own way.

While I agree that it's a large vehicle, that shouldn't result in a hesitation/transmission fumble from a standing start. I had the first transmission reflash done in March IIRC; didn't seem to make a difference from a standing start but the shifting at speed changed a little bit.

Cheers,
Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Gills said:
I agree with the original poster (on the performance issue only!); I find that my Acadia has an off-the-line hesitation that really gets in the way when I'm trying to turn into traffic from a standing start.

My Dad's old Volare did this too; it's why we sent it to the wreckers -- it's no fun to enter traffic when you know you have lots of space & time, only to have someone right on your back bumper as soon as you do because the car won't get out of its own way.

While I agree that it's a large vehicle, that shouldn't result in a hesitation/transmission fumble from a standing start. I had the first transmission reflash done in March IIRC; didn't seem to make a difference from a standing start but the shifting at speed changed a little bit.

Cheers,
Drew
Ahh...yes. The off the line hesitation. My wife did comment on that during the test drive. I had forgotten about that issue. She was sometimes counting upwards to three seconds for the car to start chugging along from a dead stop and her foot on the gas pedal. I don't know how I forgot about that issue. They definitely need to get that fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
What hesitation are you talking about. The engine stumbling, or cutting out or just gutless? Mine does not hesitate at all in the sense of a stumble or heistation, it's just not as snappy as let's say a V8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Mine is in the shop for an oil leak but I asked that they flash the trany with the latest and was told that the trany had the latest flash. Not sure on the build date but I picked up off the lot right after July 4th. Mine has no hesitation at all, I am actually impressed with how quick it is off the line for as large a vehicle as it is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
lzwhb2 said:
Technically mid August isn't until noon on Thursday the 16th. ;D

It's ready, but out of my hands at this point. It's now a process thing that takes some time. It'll be at the dealers in August, but I'm not sure of the exact date yet.


We're trying to work with NY_Joe and his schedule so he can be the first to get the update.
LOL!!!

Much appreciated. I am free MOnday. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I got mine over the Memorial Day weekend, and it's pretty quick off the line. As I said it is biased toward economy, but it does not hesitate when you give it the gas. Has there been more than one tranny update?
 
1 - 20 of 367 Posts
Top