GMC Acadia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just purchased an Acadia last week and during the test drive everything seemed fine. We both loved the car and were quick to buy. But the day after we brought it home I noticed the engine/transmission made a distinct whirring or whining sound whenever you pressed on the gas pedal(almost like it was straining). Also the transmission has quite a bit of lag and will often randomly downshift. We never expected to have these types of issues with a new car. We're going to call the dealer tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I did read that the earlier builds had transmission issues but I thought they'd be resolved by now. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If your car was built before August you don't have the latest update on the transmission programming. You will be able to have it reprogrammed around the first of September is what I've heard. The transmission is reliable, the new program just changes how the transmission responds to the throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my 2008 Acadia-Base Model two Saturdays ago and already had to take the car into service. Below is the list of issues:

1-When initially starting the engine and changing gears to Drive and when accelerating the engine clicks two times. It is not a constant occurences while driving, but is consistent when starting the engine and accelerating in drive.

2-Had to drive to AZ over the past weekend. I was still in break-in mode so had the speed cruise control set at 65 mph. When driving downhill (approximately 6% downgrade over 6-8 miles) the cruise control setting did not hold. The speed increased up to 71 mph before I decided to turn off cruise control.

3-When making left or right hand turns on top of dips (water gutters in parking lots, etc.) I feel the steering wheel vibrate and almost locking and hear a clicking noise at the front tires.

I love the car and was happy with the professional and patient attitude of the service rep, but not happy with his response. Basically, no solid answers or information for future corrections. His suggestion to item #2 was to manually control the speed myself...can you believe that? Response to item #1, "....that's normal, it's the engine reading the system and adjusting" and of course the item #3 could not be re-created, so no resolution. And guess what?....Heard it again this morning while in driving into the parking lot at work.

I do plan on contacting the General Manager at the dealer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
2008Acadia_IA said:
1-When initially starting the engine and changing gears to Drive and when accelerating the engine clicks two times. It is not a constant occurences while driving, but is consistent when starting the engine and accelerating in drive.
This is normal. It's the ABS system performing a self-check. You can verify this in the owner's manual.

It clicks once at 7 MPH and a second time at 20 MPH. At least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For your #2 item, with cruise control I have never owned a car that didn't accelerate on a down hill grade with cruise engaged. It will keep your vehicle at a steady speed on flat or up hill grades but is not capable of engine or regular braking. On #3 with the dips, how fast are you going when this happens because if the wheel spins and you are braking it will activate ABS or it could have something to do with stability control. I am not an expert but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
richali1327 said:
My wife and I just purchased an Acadia last week and during the test drive everything seemed fine. We both loved the car and were quick to buy. But the day after we brought it home I noticed the engine/transmission made a distinct whirring or whining sound whenever you pressed on the gas pedal(almost like it was straining). Also the transmission has quite a bit of lag and will often randomly downshift. We never expected to have these types of issues with a new car. We're going to call the dealer tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I did read that the earlier builds had transmission issues but I thought they'd be resolved by now. Thanks for any help.
I have had my car for 6 months I notice the same whirring / whinning. I can't bare another trip to the dealer. Did they fix it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
richali1327 said:
I took mine in for the same type of noise. Mine was low on power steering fluid. They said there was no leak or seepage. They said it can take months for an air bubble to release and then the fluid level will drop. I think it is all BS.

·
Registered
812 Posts
richali1327 said:
and i thought GM would have fixed all the quality issues concerning the Acadia with the 08, this trans issue and steering problems been in this forum for a while with owners patiently waiting for "proper" reflash, at first it would be understandable coz its in its 1st model year but still it lingers and becoming more persistent.... :help: when would GM address this???? some say the abs is doing a self check, i cant remember any vehicle performing an abs self check on the go. it ussually takes 3-5secs. after ignition. :banghead: guess i have to wait a while to purchase mine....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Every car i ever had did the ABS check once i started going. and unless you drive a mercedes with adapative cruise control, no cruise control will brake going down hill

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I haven't noticed the Acadia doing the ABS check thing yet, but our it was very noticeable when our Odyssey did it. It would do it either backing up or going forward, but the vehicle had to be moving before it did it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine always does the brake check. Car seems a bit sluggish for the first block or so then its all good. Just different, nothing to worry about. I wonder if your other items are also related to just having a new car. It took me a while to determine what is normal in terms of sounds and feels. I cannot be happier with mine. No issues at all at 4500 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes, I have a 2010 Acadia and I’m having the same issues been wondering myself what it could be!

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts
yes, I have a 2010 Acadia and I’m having the same issues been wondering myself what it could be!
You're responding to a 14 year-old thread about a new vehicle which just entered the market. Try going to another thread where an old, used Acadia has similar problems as yours. This thread is closed to further comment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.