GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family does not do any towing but a transmission cooler on a factory vehicle seems to be only part of a "trailer package". Am I over estimating the value of such a cooler on prolonging the life of these fancy 6 speed automatic transmissions that won't experience any towing? I imagine that I could get the dealer to install a single tranny cooler after purchase. Maybe it could be included as part of the negotiations? ;)

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
From my experience; the cooler the fluid in the transmission the better off you are; now with that said would I buy an Acadia with V92 just to have "increased trans cooling"? Not sure but if can swing it then I would just get the towing package regardless of towing needs

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jsimms said:
now with that said would I buy an Acadia with V92 just to have "increased trans cooling"? Not sure but if can swing it then I would just get the towing package regardless of towing needs
In CDN $ the cost of the towing package is almost $500...about $400 US.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
For me; and after reading everything here; I would spring for the tow package; the cost is not that prohibitive for me

·
Registered
540 Posts
copperbeech said:
Our family does notdo any towing but a transmission cooler on a factory vehicle seems to be only part of a "trailer package". Am I over estimating the value of such a cooler on prolonging the life of these fancy 6 speed automatic transmissions that won't experience any towing? I imagine that I could get the dealer to install a single tranny cooler after purchase. Maybe it could be included as part of the negotiations? ;)

What do you think?
You can probably get an aftermarket trans cooler. I would still get the factory trailer package. Even if you don't tow the hitch can be used for a bicycle rack, utility tray,or any othe device the uses a 2 inch hitch.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
copperbeech said:
Our family does notdo any towing but a transmission cooler on a factory vehicle seems to be only part of a "trailer package". Am I over estimating the value of such a cooler on prolonging the life of these fancy 6 speed automatic transmissions that won't experience any towing? I imagine that I could get the dealer to install a single tranny cooler after purchase. Maybe it could be included as part of the negotiations? ;)

What do you think?
You can probably get an aftermarket trans cooler. I would still get the factory trailer package. Even if you don't tow the hitch can be used for a bicycle rack, utility tray,or any othe device the uses a 2 inch hitch.

Bobby
True you could by an aftermarket cooler; then you have to pay someone to install it (or do it yourself). For me the convenience of having the entire package on the vehicle makes the cost worth the convenience. I'm sure that the trailer package when purchased comes with the increased trans cooling; so if he springs for the tow package he gets the trans cooler installed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
copperbeech said:
What do you think?
copperbeech, (Not to be confused with our long-term super member "Copperhead13"),

I'm not a tranny expert, but I do have an oppinion. You might consider adding a tranny cooler if you live in a very hot environment. This may be advantageous if driving w/ a full load - even if not actually towing. I believe that one of our more infamous member[/color] Blue_2009_SLT2[/color] ordered the trailering package for the cooling - and also does not intend to tow with his Acadia. Granted he has another tow vehicle, but the cooling was a desirable feature for him. Blue - check me on my memory!

However, if you don't live or expect to drive often in very hot conditions, I think an Acadia would be equally reliable over the long haul (years) w/o cooling. Also, I would guess that the cost of adding a tranny cooler or trailering package aftermarket would cost almost as much (more?) than just ordering the trailering package from the factory.

Those are my 2-cents. Please add your locale (city/state) to your signature / profile so that others in the area can provide feedback as well.

Smooth [/color] <><

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Yet another reason why I'm glad I have the tow package; I live in Tucson, AZ and it tends to get HOT :angryfire: here in the summer. When I purchased my Acadia I had no idea the extra trans cooling was installed, but now I'm glad I have it

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd like to add that IMO, the trailering package has far more resale value than just adding a tranny cooler. I could be wrong but I think it is something to consider as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
jh46 said:
I'd like to add that IMO, the trailering package has far more resale value than just adding a tranny cooler. I could be wrong but I think it is something to consider as well.
I agree. Remember when you get the tow package you get the hitch,wiring for trailer & brake ,tow/haul mode for trans and the heavy duty cooling. Even if you try to get the dealer to put a cooler in it won't be for free. I will always say get the V92 package. Thats just me.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I say if you're looking to save money on a new 09; get the tow package and dump the rooves :-\

·
Registered
540 Posts
jsimms said:
I say if you're looking to save money on a new 09; get the tow package and dump the rooves :-\
Good advice! :thumb:

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
jsimms said:
Good advice! :thumb:

Bobby
You know that was tough for me to say; I really like the sunroof, but I am lucky mine doesn't leak or have problems. Other members are having some tough luck with theirs and if I was in a situation to buy an 09; then the towing package would outweigh the sunroof

·
Registered
66 Posts
jsimms said:
You know that was tough for me to say; I really like the sunroof, but I am lucky mine doesn't leak or have problems. Other members are having some tough luck with theirs and if I was in a situation to buy an 09; then the towing package would outweigh the sunroof
I haven't had any trouble with mine either so far but I agree with you, the tow pkg would make the must-have list and the sunroof would make the extra if I can afford it list.

·
Registered
540 Posts
jh46 said:
jsimms said:
I haven't had any trouble with mine either so far but I agree with you, the tow pkg would make the must-have list and the sunroof would make the extra if I can afford it list.
I just want to say I have nothing against the sunroofs. I like them and feel they made the Acadia appear more open. I didn't like the low headroom for me and I was worried about the rear shade with the kids back there. Plus I used the money for other options. I have never seen such a wide spread problem with this type of sunroof. I hope GM starts listening and fixes their mistakes.

Bobby

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but I went to a transmission shop to get a cooler added and they told me that I already had an aux. cooler installed. I do not have the tow package. If I remember correctly, I believe that many have said that the tow package equipped Acadia has a beefier radiator than the non-equipped Acadias.

Bill

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Smooth said:
copperbeech, (Not to be confused with our long-term super member "Copperhead13"),
Thanks Smooth!

There are a lot of great points in this thread.

I personally wouldn't worry about not having a trans cooler if you are not towing.
The transmission was engineered to run the way it is installed in the vehicle.
Additionally, Ford and Lincoln also use this trans in their CUV. In other words, it is in wide-spread use and there are not
any known specific problems from not having the trans cooler - without towing.

BTW: The Acadia can tow up to 2500 lbs without the additional cooling capacity for the
engine and transmission. So even if you add a hitch to transport bikes, snowboards, etc.
I don't think you have to worry.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
jh46 said:
Really? A trailering package adds value to a vehicle? I don't know where I originally heard it, but I've always been under the impression that it actually takes away from the value because it would add additional wear and tear on a vehicle if you actually hauled things often with it. I've thought that since I started driving, but I have no idea who might have told me that. Maybe my dad. Who knows.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Web Raven said:
jh46 said:
Really? A trailering package adds value to a vehicle? I don't know where I originally heard it, but I've always been under the impression that it actually takes away from the value because it would add additional wear and tear on a vehicle if you actually hauled things often with it. I've thought that since I started driving, but I have no idea who might have told me that. Maybe my dad. Who knows.
Thats a good point. A vehicle with a properly equipped towing package will add value. I checked the used car pricing sites to verify this. Depending on the vehicle type and condition you have to determine how many actual miles of towing/trailering occurred to see if it removed value from the vehicle. If you have a properly equipped Acadia towing a trailer with a waverunner (1500 lbs)50 miles every weekend during the summer months compared to towing a (3500 lbs)200-400 miles two or three weekends during the summer. This is where it is hard to tell. Just my 2 cents ;D

Bobby

1 - 19 of 19 Posts