GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the trailering wire come with Acadias that do not have the hitch package? I heard it is in the bumper, but I cannot find it, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I looked into installing a hitch on my Acadia that did not come with the towing package. I really only wanted it for a bike rack and or light towing. Everything I read indicated that you would need to wire into the rear tail lights. I too have looked under my Acadia and see nothing that would indicate there was the wiring for a trailer hook up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On my '07 there is a harness under the driver's side bumper. You should see a round-looking plug with a protective plastic cap over it. You'll need the proper adapter to plug into this for your specific towing purpose (4-wire flat, 5-wire flat, round 7-seven wire, etc). However, there are issues involved with the fuse panel that powers this existing harness IF you didn't order the "towing package" from the factory. In short, the terminals that power the harness in the fuse panel are not there, and you need a new (warranted) panel ordered. There is a tech bulletin out regarding. Search the threads on here and you'll learn all you need to about this. Good luck -

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ooops! Forgot to mention that mine did not come with the factory two package. Still had the harness under the bumper.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just going by memory, I'd say it's directly above where the exhaust tips exit on the driver's side, and up near where the rear bumper valence meets the chrome trim piece. It is tucked up under there pretty good and it helped to have a flash light. But it was plainly visible and easy to reach when just crawling under it. IIRC mine was all black so things blended in with the surrounding plastic trim stuff under there. May have mentioned in an earlier post that it has a black protective cap on it to keep it sealed from rain, dust, etc. If it stops raining here today I may be able to get a picture posted on here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be great, thanks alot. Did you ever order a hitch and if so was it OEM or aftermarket and if aftermarket can you still use the pigtail?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Does anyone know if the fuse block terminals that were missing for the 2007 models were a fix for the 2008 models?

·
Registered
116 Posts
cchatelle said:
That would be great, thanks alot. Did you ever order a hitch and if so was it OEM or aftermarket and if aftermarket can you still use the pigtail?
I have not yet, but planned to purchase a "Hidden Hitch". They seemed identical to OEM model and a direct bolt up (based on pictures from their website). I'm waiting to buy this hitch because we have "issues" with vehicle we purchased recently...long story but sales guy told us it was AWD, and after we signed and took delivery I discovered it was not. :eek: It was 50% my fault for not looking closer but we were so excited we found the perfect vehicle, our emotions blinded me a bit. So...dealer is working with us to find a comparable one WITH AWD, so I will be holding off on hitch install until this is resolved.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The harness wiring runs from the right rear wheelwell area along the top of the rear frame member and drops down next to the drivers side exhaust tips. The only wire that will work in it are for tail lights. The turn signals will not work without a different fuse panel. I replaced my harness with one with all the wiring in it. I'm now waiting on the fuse panel to come so i can change it over.
To access the connector on the right, the screws will have to be removed and pry the wraparound out to gain access to the connector if you decide to replace it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts