GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ordered our Acadia w/o the trailering package. Does anyone know if this can be added at the dealer after delivery? How much can it tow w/o the package? I thought I read somewhere it was around 3000 lbs.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Towing is a "must" option for us. We asked if it could be added if a non-towing-package Acadia was found before our order arrives. We were told no, other than having any 3rd party tow bar installed. Nowhere near as nice and neat as the factory Acadia towing package.

Our Acadia arrives in 10 hours!

·
Registered
166 Posts
readyforacadia said:
Towing is a "must" option for us. We asked if it could be added if a non-towing-package Acadia was found before our order arrives. We were told no, other than having any 3rd party tow bar installed. Nowhere near as nice and neat as the factory Acadia towing package.

Our Acadia arrives in 10 hours!
You really can't wait for your Acadia, can you??? About every topic I've read tonight seems to mention something about you getting your Acadia tomorrow!! Just a tad bit excited, are we? ;D

·
Registered
497 Posts
And your point is?
You're about to get yours soon too, no?

Gee...sorry to have offended.

·
Registered
166 Posts
No I'm sorry if I offended you.I was just joking. I love how excited all of us are! We are like kids counting down the days til our birthday. I like seeing people excited. It's fun, because you spend money on these things and when they come or are coming, its exciting. So be excited!

·
Registered
380 Posts
You will love it, most fun figuring out a new car features in years! ;D ;D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Two of my local dealers told me they could install one for me. I plan to get one installed for light towing, and mainly for a bike rack.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found an Acadia with everything we wanted except the trailer package. Dealer said "no problem" and installed a GM receiver & 7 pin light plug within a few hours of unloading the car from the delivery truck. I didn't need the tranny cooler - my bass boat & trailer is only 1200 lbs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
GaryB said:
I found an Acadia with everything we wanted except the trailer package. Dealer said "no problem" and installed a GM receiver & 7 pin light plug within a few hours of unloading the car from the delivery truck. I didn't need the tranny cooler - my bass boat & trailer is only 1200 lbs.
Yep, you should be fine. IIRC the tow rating without the trailering package is 2000 lbs. The extra goodies in the package (bigger rad, oil/trans cooler etc) are what up the rating to 4500.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, all of you out there...help me out. I think that the heaviest load I'm going to be towing is about 1600 lbs. (500 lb trailer plus two 525 lb snowmobiles). I currently make my brother tow with his Tundra. Am I to understand that I would be okay to tow this kind of weight without the trailering package? Keep in mind I'd be driving up some fairly steep canyons here in Utah. I'm asking because if I find the perfect Acadia w/o the package, I'd want to know if I would be okay.

·
Registered
183 Posts
you could always try it, and see if it blows up ;D

If it was me, I'd look into adding not just the hitch and wiring, but also at a minimum a tranny oil cooler. I installed one years ago on a Chev blazer - it's not rocket science, and it's not 'factory', but it'd be worth it IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mister T said:
So, all of you out there...help me out. I think that the heaviest load I'm going to be towing is about 1600 lbs. (500 lb trailer plus two 525 lb snowmobiles). I currently make my brother tow with his Tundra. Am I to understand that I would be okay to tow this kind of weight without the trailering package? Keep in mind I'd be driving up some fairly steep canyons here in Utah. I'm asking because if I find the perfect Acadia w/o the package, I'd want to know if I would be okay.
Personally, I would try to find one with the package. You'd probably be ok on flat, freeway type cruising, but with canyons/mountains I wouldn't risk it. At a minimum, do what the other poster suggested and add a transmission cooler. By the time you add the aftermarket hitch, cooler, etc, you would probably be around the same cost as the factory option. Plus, the factory option probably adds some other goodies (someone can verify this I'm sure). And that way, you have GM's blessing to tow the full 4500 (within their guidelines, caveats, etc).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I support that - don't tow anything other than your lawnmower with an add-on hitch.

Why?

This is a unibody - not a truck. On most tow vehicles - the hitch is bolted onto the frame rails. And - in many cases, bolted on pretty far forward to spread the weight load as far forward on the tow vehicle as possible.

Just had a hitch bolted onto this Equinox for my bikes, and when I had a chance to look at it, I dont think I would tow my boat around the block with it. Not sure exactly how the 'Cadia factory hitch is bolted on, but an aftermarket on this vehicle would concern me for anything other than light loads.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
ALL Acadias, whether they are equipped with the towing pkg or not, have the trailer hitch "socket" hidden under a plastic panel on the bottom of the bumper. You don't get the hitch itself, but my guess would be there's absolutely no difference in the way it would attach to the frame if you got it as an option or buy it afterwards. Of course, there's still the other issues (transmission cooling, larger radiator,etc).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great Info - Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
admin said:
ALL Acadias, whether they are equipped with the towing pkg or not, have the trailer hitch "socket" hidden under a plastic panel on the bottom of the bumper. You don't get the hitch itself, but my guess would be there's absolutely no difference in the way it would attach to the frame if you got it as an option or buy it afterwards. Of course, there's still the other issues (transmission cooling, larger radiator,etc).
I added the factory hitch and wiring receptical. But.... I am still have issues with the trailer lights. It does not give me the brake lights or turn signals. I do not get it... maybe I need to have something reprogramed... Thinking of stoping by the dealer tomorrow.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
webhair said:
admin said:
I added the factory hitch and wiring receptical. But.... I am still have issues with the trailer lights. It does not give me the brake lights or turn signals. I do not get it... maybe I need to have something reprogramed... Thinking of stoping by the dealer tomorrow.

Any ideas anyone?
See this post. You may need to add a relay or two. http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=48.0

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I bet my Acadia is the only one that will tow a horse! After being on this group, I almost feel like the Acadia shouldn't be lowered to the level off horse mover. Thank goodness the "fun" end will be on the opposite end of the car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
admin said:
ALL Acadias, whether they are equipped with the towing pkg or not, have the trailer hitch "socket" hidden under a plastic panel on the bottom of the bumper. You don't get the hitch itself, but my guess would be there's absolutely no difference in the way it would attach to the frame[/color] if you got it as an option or buy it afterwards. Of course, there's still the other issues (transmission cooling, larger radiator,etc).
Sorry but I just could pass up the opertunity... Acadia is unibody, i.e. no frame? Where are the frame rails for it to attach to? I haven't had the oppertunity to get under one to see for myself.

- Anthony

1 - 20 of 39 Posts