GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a trailer wiring harness for my 2008 Acadia from GMpartsdirect.com. I used the part number supplied by their Web site and was shipped a harness that does not matchup to my Acadia. Their return department refuses to take back the harness. Beware of ordering items from the BS web site.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: Warning about GMpartsdirect.com return policy

If that is truly the case, dispute the charge with your credit card company.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Did you supply them with your VIN number when ordering? How long after you ordered the part are you trying to return it?

·
Registered
428 Posts

Just out of curiousity, are you trying to hook the harness up to the connector in the passenger side rear fenderwell? Or the white connector next to the spare tire?

·
Registered
428 Posts

Just FYI the part number for the trailer light wiring harness for an 08 is GM#25845096. Ordered mine from my dealer and installed it myself. Works great after you pay to have the fuse block replaced with the correct one for towing.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

dfrank78 said:
Just FYI the part number for the trailer light wiring harness for an 08 is GM#25845096. Ordered mine from my dealer and installed it myself. Works great after you pay to have the fuse block replaced with the correct one for towing.
I have some questions:

1) How much does it cost to have the fuse block replaced?
2) Is replacing the fuse block something one could do themselves if they just bought the parts?
3) Did the GM#25845096 part come with the mounting hardware and 7 pin receptacle too?

·
Registered
428 Posts

Hey GAR,

The fuseblock was 650.00 to replace. The receptacle does not come with the harness, the number for the receptacle is GM#12191503. I saw on a thread on here that someone had replaced the fuseblock themselves. My thought on the matter is that if you arent familiar with vehicle wiring it would be a hard job. Since I wanted to make sure I didnt do something that would cost me even more down the road, like get half of the fuseblock wired up and not be able to get the rest done I just payed the dealer to do it for me. I talked to my service manager and he even got GM to pay for half of it.

·
Registered
104 Posts

I replaced the fuse block myself. It's pretty easy. The hardest part is getting all the locks released at the same time to lift it up. I just used several screwdrivers. Then just remove the connectors on the bottom and install the new one. It took all of about 30 minutes to replace. I tried to get the dealer to do it under warranty but that was before any of the info about them doing it under warranty. Luckily i know the service manager and he got me their price (or close to it) on the fuse block, $153 plus tax. At least now i've got plenty of fuses and relays with the old fuse block laying here.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

JLF and dfrank78 - Thank you both!!

JLF - Do you have the part number for the fuse block for trailering? And, is your Acadia a 2008? If so, was all the other wiring OK once the fuse block was replaced?

·
Registered
104 Posts

Gar, I have a 07 Acadia SLT. The fuse block i got is part number: 25784723. I also replaced the harness from the right rear wheelwell connector to the hitch area. The orginal harness only had four wires, tail lights only. Everything works now except for backup lights. I really have no need for backup lights right now, so i'm in no hurry to do the wire swap as stated in the TSB.
I don't know if the fuse block would be the same for an 08 Acadia.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

JLF - Thanks for your response. I really need the hitch for a bike rack carrier and so I don't have any plans on towing anything at this time. However, if it is not too much extra for the wiring, I might want to get it done just so if the need comes up to tow something, I will be able to.

Did you buy the factory hitch, or did you use an aftermarket one? I have seen some threads that one particular hitch was hitting the exhausts causing a noise.

·
Registered
428 Posts

GAR

If you decide to do the fuse block yourself you will need to get the original part number off of your fuseblock so the dealer will know which new fuseblock to order, I think there are three different ones depending on your Acadia. My aftermarket hitch platform made by Valley did allow the exhaust to hit it going over bumps and things. I bought the factory hitch and problem solved. Something else the factory hitch has the ring on it to accept the 7-pin receptacle from GM so if you are going to change the fuseblock to use the original wiring you will want the factory hitch. Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
104 Posts

Gar,
I bought the Draw-Tite class III hitch from etrailer.com. The hitch came with all the bolts to mount it and there is no problem with it hitting the exhaust. There is just enough room to slide the hitch in without loosening the exhaust up. I also ordered the bracket and connector with the 7-way and 4-way adapter together that connects to the Acadia wiring connector. I went with etrailer because the dealer had no listing for the hitch at that time and was going to send it out and have one installed at a cost of $275.00 (just the hitch, no wiring/connectors etc.) so i decided to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

JLF. Thanks again!! I am 100% sure now that I will order the hitch and do it myself. I will probably skip the wiring harness for now as I only will be hauling bikes.

Did you get the black plastic bumper piece to cover the hitch when not in use, and if so, do you know the part number?

·
Registered
104 Posts

Gar,
No, i didn't get the cover for the hitch because where my receptacle is mounted will not allow it. It doesn't bother me for the hitch receiver to show. I just put one of those dummy insert's in the receiver with an american flag on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

GAR said:
JLF. Thanks again!! I am 100% sure now that I will order the hitch and do it myself. I will probably skip the wiring harness for now as I only will be hauling bikes.

Did you get the black plastic bumper piece to cover the hitch when not in use, and if so, do you know the part number?
part #15933983 for black plastic insert
works perfect to cover hitch

·
Registered
11 Posts

Can someone describe the routing of the trailer harness between the connector in the rear passenger side wheel well and the hitch area? I have a factory harness to add, but I didn't have one before so I'm not sure where all the attachments to the vehicle should be made.

P.S. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, but it seems to be a topic of discussion here.

·
Registered
104 Posts

I loosened some of the screws along the wheelwell to get a little better access to the connector. If you have a new harness, it should have press in clips every foot or so. There should also be holes on the top of the crossmember in the rear along the bumper. I used a flat blade screwdriver and needlenose pliers to pry the old clips out. If you don't have a harness in there now, then start routing the harness from the driver side area because the big round connector will not go through the opening. Just to the left of the drivers side exhaust tips in an opening large enough for the connector to fit through. It is routed to the back of the crossmember, then up on top and over to the passenger side. Run it along the top of the crossmember and then connect it to the connector in the wheelwell area. You can then feel along the top for the holes or use one of the extendable mirrors to locate the holes for the clips. Just press the clips in and that's it. Hopefully i didn't confuse you. ;)
Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks Jerry! That was just the information I needed. It would have taken me a while to find the mounting holes since they weren't visible. Appreciate the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts