GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All Acadia Members

We have an 07 with a trailer towing package therefore the truck is rated at 4700 lbs fully loaded capable of towing.

Recently we have test towed 2 trailers one weighing 3500 lbs empty and one weighing 2800 lbs empty.

At 100 kilometers/hour (about 60 mph) the engine was showing 3000 rpm and it was in 5th gear the rpm did not significantly change from one trailer to the next.

On some small inclines the truck dropped down to about 80kph, at times I kicked it down to 4th gear and it was showing 4000 rpm.
Does this sound like a good driving experience?

I know form driving this vehicle for over 2 years that:

First it gets crappy gas mileage 14 liters/ 100 kilometers (about 20 mi/gal) and that is if it is driven at around 2000 rpm. I shudder to think what it would be at 3000 rpm.

I have read in the forum that towing with the Acadia is not a good thing, towing package or not, but have not seen anyone with some real experinces in towing.

I am a little leary of heading off on a across country trip with a trailer.

Can anyone (car mechanics) tell me, would travelling at 3000 rpm all day be detramental to the engine/transmission etc!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not a mechanic but I can tell you about my experience towing with the Acadia. I just came back from a family camping trip with our 09 Acadia AWD. We drove from Lancaster, PA to Myrtle Beach, SC about 1200 mile round trip. I pulled a Trailmanor camping trailer, model 3023, which loaded with our stuff at the scales was 4500 lbs. Inside the Acadia was the wife, 3 kids (8yrs, 4yrs, 2yrs) and myself and a cooler full of ice and lunches and drinks for the family. The Acadia has the factory installed towing package and I have a WDH to keep everything even. Most of the driving was done on Interstate Highways, at speeds up to 70mph, however for the most part I kept it below 65mph. The mpg really went down if driving at over 65. The Acadia average 12.976 mpg for the entire trip. I started using the trailer button but quickly noticed that the transmision took for ever to shift to 6th gear, and by not using it the Acadia would performed the same way at low speeds but shift to sixth gear more quickly. That would drop the rpms down form 2500 to 1900-2000 rpms, which saved a lot of gas. It is true that when going on an upgrade the rpms will sometimes go up to 3500 rpms but would come down quickly once I reached the desired speed. The temp gauge never went past mid point, even at temperatures at 96 F, with the A/C on at all times. The ride was very comfortable and quiet. The kids even survive a 13hr trip on the way down because of traffic. Overall I am very happy with the Acadia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My response to your question on my posting.

In regards to pulling a travel trailer, I do not have a lot of experience yet, especially with the Acadia. I hope to get a lot more over the summer months. When I bought the trailer last summer, I started towing with a Buick Rendezvous. I found I was really pushing the Buick. I underestimated the drag pulling a full trailer. My previous towing experience was hard top tent trailers and utility trailers. Hence I traded it in for the Acadia. Compared to the Buick, the Acadia has a lot more solid feeling when I am towing and I have had no issues while pulling the trailer with the Acadia (other than the temperature gauge). The vechile pulls well.

You are right about the RPMs, I typically travel at 90 kph, and the motor sits in 4th running at about 2800 rpm. If I drive at 105 kph and if it is flat the Acadia will go into 5th, (2200 rpm) but has a hard time maintaining speed.

In regards to fuel consumption, 24-25 L/100kms (approx. 10 mpg US), which was the same as the Buick, an eye opener just the same.

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
Response of a vehicle to trailer towing is HIGHLY dependent upon weather as well as terrain. I pulled a small U-Haul with a Datsun 310 into Denver from the east with about a 25-40 mph headwind and got 10-12 mpg! I was in 3rd gear with my foot to the floor going downhill just to maintain 45 mph. So, what's yer beef?
:blob:

·
Registered
624 Posts
alvega, good post. How well do you like your TrailManor? We have thought about buying one, mainly because we feel it would be safer to pull behind the Acadia/Enclave than a full size trailer of similar weight. My main concern with the Trail Manor was any "water leakage" issues. How long have you had yours and is it still "water tight" both when towed and set-up? Thanks, ccaats.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One thing that you have to remember is that the acadia is a v6. Which means that you have to rev it to keep it in the power band. Unlike a v8 where you just lug it along. I tow my 19ft trailer weighing 3600lbs. It will tow it all day long, with no problems. Now here's my thing, I only tow 8-9 trips per year, so I'm willing to put up with the crappy gas mileage for those weekends. Btw I got 11mpg towing on the last trip @ 110km\h. So how many times do you tow this trailer? If you go across country many times per year, get another tow vehicle. Just remember you are towing a big box. Gas mileager sucks no matter what vehicle you are towing it with. Weight is more of an issue for starting and stopping. Not gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
speleos said:
Response of a vehicle to trailer towing is HIGHLY dependent upon weather as well as terrain. I pulled a small U-Haul with a Datsun 310 into Denver from the east with about a 25-40 mph headwind and got 10-12 mpg! I was in 3rd gear with my foot to the floor going downhill just to maintain 45 mph. So, what's yer beef?
:blob:
Wow, I don't hear about those much, my dad had a 79 Datsun 310 4-speed manual. :rofl: I don't think it's meant to tow anything, such a slug...didn't get out of it's own way....but had a cool sound (tone from the tranny) when accelerating, kind of like it was singing a tune. Anyone who owned one knows what I mean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Towing our 25' Ultra Light (5500 Max GVW) to the Palo Doro Canyon Today... So far my experience has been mixed with our Acadia. On flat ground it seems to be fine. Acceleration and braking are solid. The problem I see is the torque... Any hills really cut the performance. I brought out trailer back from storage the other night and realized I had my foot on the floor and had dropped from 60 to 50 mph. The tach never went beyond 4K. This was a moderate grade but nothing like the Acadia will see on Sunday when we come back up out of the Canyon... Hope it makes it. We were hoping the Acadia would pull well but in reality it is fair at best near its limits. I am really regretting get rid of my Silverado. We will certainly need to go back to a truck if we are planning to head to the mountains.

Just got back from our latest camping excursion in our Acadia. Pulled the trailer better than expected. I think the transmission must be learning or something because it was allot smoother and had less bogging than the previous towing experience. It still bottoms out going up some long grades, with my foot on the floor the tach goes to 4K and the truck slowly drops from 65. On a flat stretch it tows effortlessly at 65 to 70.[/color]

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is our second year owning the TrailManor. We have towed it through heavy rain for many miles, we have camped in heavy rain with winds up to 55mph, and so far no leaks. We have even set it up in the rain and hardly any water has entered the camper while setting it up. As long as is leveled and a little higher on the front to let the water runoff to the back more easily, you will be fine. The TrailManor is very well made and I believe is the perfect camper to pull with the Acadia. You can visit http://www.trailmanorowners.com and many of your questions can be answered there.

ccaats said:
alvega, good post. How well do you like your TrailManor? We have thought about buying one, mainly because we feel it would be safer to pull behind the Acadia/Enclave than a full size trailer of similar weight. My main concern with the Trail Manor was any "water leakage" issues. How long have you had yours and is it still "water tight" both when towed and set-up? Thanks, ccaats.
[/quote

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
09Enclave said:
Wow, I don't hear about those much, my dad had a 79 Datsun 310 4-speed manual. :rofl: I don't think it's meant to tow anything, such a slug...didn't get out of it's own way....but had a cool sound (tone from the tranny) when accelerating, kind of like it was singing a tune. Anyone who owned one knows what I mean.
Mine was a 1980 310GX Coupe with roll-down rear windows and a 5-speed. It was a great little car! I never had problems with it starting at 14,000 feet (I lived in CO at the time); got 54 mpg on a trip into Texas; never had a breakdown; and only used 2 sets of tires in 110,000 miles. Traded it off for a new 1991 Buick Regal Sdn. What a change that was!!
;D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Alvega007 said:
This is our second year owning the TrailManor. We have towed it through heavy rain for many miles, we have camped in heavy rain with winds up to 55mph, and so far no leaks. We have even set it up in the rain and hardly any water has entered the camper while setting it up. As long as is leveled and a little higher on the front to let the water runoff to the back more easily, you will be fine. The TrailManor is very well made and I believe is the perfect camper to pull with the Acadia. You can visit http://www.trailmanorowners.com and many of your questions can be answered there.
Thanks alvega....your real world experiences sound like a great testament of the weathertight nature of this trailer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
big bear craig said:
The Acadia's biggest problem ...
bbc,

I'm sorry to hear that you're so disappointed with your Acadia. What vehicles are on your "I wish I had bought" list? Are they comparable size, yet with better towing ability and better fuel economy?

Just curious.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
956 Posts
Smooth said:
bbc,

I'm sorry to hear that you're so disappointed with your Acadia. What vehicles are on your "I wish I had bought" list? Are they comparable size, yet with better towing ability and better fuel economy?

Just curious.

Smooth[/color] <><
Smooth,
I am most disappointed with the performance of the Acadia. It has a lot of room and attractive styling, but the performance just leaves a lot to be desired. Even after the May trans flash the transmission programming is not very good and the engines torque curve does not match the gear ratios of the transmission or it's shift points. If the performance was better I believe the car would be much more enjoyable to drive and own.

In answer to your question about the Acadia's competitors I would say the MDX would be one, the BMW might be a consideration, the Porsche Cayenne or one of the Audi's. I know the Acadia has more room than any of these mentioned and they are pricier than the entry level Acadia, but if you option out an Acadia or Enclave you rapidly approach the price levels of some of the other premium SUV's.

I have not driven the latest Acadia's so I cannot comment on the difference between them and my 07, but even if there was a huge difference in performance, I would not buy another based on the Acadia's sometimes iffy quality, it's future resale value, and GM's current financial problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bbc,
While I agree with you on the lacking power somewhat. The only one on your list that is in the same leaque\category, is the mdx. And last time I drove my parents mdx, it felt a lot slower than the acadia. And this is way off topic. The op was asking for real world TOWING experience.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Please ignore the ot. I just reread bbc's initial thread. (For some reason I can't edit posts from my blackberry)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Towing with my 07 Acadia

I posted a message here about 3 weeks ago regarding towing a 2800 lb empty trailer. It seems to have disappeared.

Anyway we live in Alberta 80 miles from the Canadian Rockies and I was concerned about towing a trailer through the rockies.

We made the trip to the interior of BC which means we had to go across the rockies in total gained about 1049 meters in altitude (8000 feet), (Calgary is at approximately 1049 meters (3400 ft), highest point in travel 3440 meters (11,000 feet). The one way trip was about 650 kM (400 miles).

This is a pass throught the rockies called the Rogers Pass it has a very long climb and decent to and from on both sides of the summit (6%, grade I think), this means braking can be an issue.

The temperature was in the low to mid 30 degrees C (mid 80 degree F)

My greatest concern was that the Acadia was under powered for this sort of trip.

In some ways the vehicle worked wonderful, however on the long climb to the summit the temperature rose from it's normal 100 degree C to about 110, however it did drop fairly quickly once the load (climb leveled off) dropped.

My concern of under power is still there at some points in the climb the tach was reading just about 5000 rpm to maintain and 80 KM (50 mph) speed.

The trailer we have is relativley light and with all the camping junk well under the rated 4700 lbs of rated towing capacity.

If anyone wants further discussions and thoughts on this we can do that by email.

ps thinking about buying a bigger truck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Towing with my 07 Acadia

elec_inst said:
I posted a message here about 3 weeks ago regarding towing a 2800 lb empty trailer. It seems to have disappeared.

Anyway we live in Alberta 80 miles from the Canadian Rockies and I was concerned about towing a trailer through the rockies.

We made the trip to the interior of BC which means we had to go across the rockies in total gained about 1049 meters in altitude (8000 feet), (Calgary is at approximately 1049 meters (3400 ft), highest point in travel 3440 meters (11,000 feet). The one way trip was about 650 kM (400 miles).

This is a pass throught the rockies called the Rogers Pass it has a very long climb and decent to and from on both sides of the summit (6%, grade I think), this means braking can be an issue.

The temperature was in the low to mid 30 degrees C (mid 80 degree F)

My greatest concern was that the Acadia was under powered for this sort of trip.

In some ways the vehicle worked wonderful, however on the long climb to the summit the temperature rose from it's normal 100 degree C to about 110, however it did drop fairly quickly once the load (climb leveled off) dropped.

My concern of under power is still there at some points in the climb the tach was reading just about 5000 rpm to maintain and 80 KM (50 mph) speed.

The trailer we have is relativley light and with all the camping junk well under the rated 4700 lbs of rated towing capacity.

If anyone wants further discussions and thoughts on this we can do that by email.

ps thinking about buying a bigger truck.
I have to ask why you're thinking about buying a larger truck. With the altitude and loads you're moving, you're going to have to go a lot larger to get a big improvement. Remember your engine power output is significantly less at 11,000 feet. If you're going to go larger you might want to look at a Turbo Diesel, which will deal much better with the altitude.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I thought I would reply.

I bought a new truck in 1977 (still own it today) it has a 460 ci engine and I used to make the same trip with a fully loaded 8 foot camper about 2200 lbs and towing a 17 foot ski boat another 2000 lbs and I would get 13 mpg as long as I stayed under 65 mph, I could pass anything on those long hills but I greatly suffered gas mileage, like down to about 10 mpg.

Now why31 years later with all the technology in engines and the change in efficiency am I only getting about 13 mpg (13-14 liters per 100km)?

On this trip we averaged about 23 liters per 100 km which is pretty close to 10 mpg!

I dont need a turbo diesel I just need a few more horses to move this rig and not run at 5000 rpm.

thats it for now

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

elec_inst said:
If you click on your profile name in this thread. It will say show last posts from this person. Click that, is your post listed?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

elec_inst said:
I did as bonk suggested & found it (it was still here). I have merged this new post into it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts