GMC Acadia Forum banner

Trailer provisions Option

12K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jseck2 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the Trailer Provision option has a lower (less mpg) rear gear(oops, sorry, fwd, gear) ratio?
Also, if so, what is the "normal" (no Trailer Provision) rear gear ratio?
Thanks,
GMC driver

#2 ·
I am quite sure the gear ratios are the same. You get a "tow/haul" button with the towing package that changes the transmission programming. This (and the larger cooling system) allows 4500 pounds max towing vs. 2000 pounds with an aftermarket hitch and no towing package. If you plan to tow at all, I would strongly recommend getting the package because there are also issues with the fuse box in non tow package vehicles that prevent using the trailer light wires. (Some people have had it fixed under warranty and others have paid to get it upgraded.)

#7 ·
The final drive axle ratio is 3.16 there are other gearing ratios mentioned in regards to the transmission gears:

Gear ratios (transmission):
First 4.48
Second 2.87
Third: 1.84
Fourth: 1.41
Fifth 1
Sixth 0.74
Reverse: 2.88

Final Drive Ratio(Axle): 3.16

#9 ·
Canuck said:
How is the 3.16 final drive ratio calculated.

Higher means more jump and lower means better milage?
3.16 means the tires turn 3.16 times slower than the output of the transmission.
The other gears listed above mean the transmission turns X times slower than the engine (Actually equal for 5th gear and faster for 6th (overdrive)).

I just went out at lunch time and checked some of the numbers. Assuming about a 29 inch tire diameter (estimated), I calculated the speeds at 45 MPH to be-

3035 RPM in 3rd
2325 RPM in 4th
1650 RPM in 5th

I observed-
3000 RPM in 3rd
2250 RPM in 4th
1600 RPM in 5th

So the table above looks like it's correct. (Assuming some small errors in tire diameter, tachometer accuracy & speedometer accuracy).

Higher final drive ratios generally mean more "pull" (more torque at lower speed for the same horsepower), lower top end speeds, and somewhat lower mpg (more friction losses due to higher engine speeds).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.