GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have had my car for about 18 hours and already I am ready to install my brake controller. I use a Prodigy and ordered a GM interface cable that is supposed to be plug and play. I also received the pigtail harness with the Acadia but haven't been able to determine exactly what is for. I did a search and found that someone said it plugged into the fuse box and was a brake cable; others thought it might be a trailer wire harness. I called GMC customer care and they couldn't tell me either but they are to call me back Monday, dealer didn't have a clue. Has anyone installed a brake controller in the Acadia yet? My previous Jeep had no factory provision and I had to trace and tap into the brake light circuit, don't want to do this if I don't have to Thanks all, up to 54 miles on my new car...it's a world apart from my Jeep!

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is a connection point for the harness under the drivers side dash. It is what you use to connect to the brake controller.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I contacted Tekonsha Tech regarding the installation of their Prodigy model trailer brake controller and received the information and a photo of the plug under the dash. There is also the issue of connecting two wires to the fuse panel under the hood. Will be taking a look tomorrow and see if it is obvious when I get access to the under side of the fuse block. As a side note GMC Customer Care has their information on the supplied cable wrong. They are saying that it is a trailer wiring harness as in attaches to the trailer. That obviously isn't right as the trailer tow package uses the large 7 pin round connector.

Thank you for contacting Tekonsha Tech Support. The GM plug and play harness that you got will not work on an Acadia, it is completely different. The Acadia harness is not yet available. The harness that came with the vehicle should have five wires, (Red/Black, Black, White, Blue and Gray) that you would wire to the brake control. The wiring would go as follows.

Acadia Wires Prodigy
Red/Black Black
Black White
Blue Blue
White Red
Gray Not used

I have attached a picture of the location of the connector under the dash and of the connector it self. Just incase you have been able to locate it. If I can be of any further help please let me know.[/color]

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an FYI,

I connected my brake controller yesterday and everything needed is installed and working fine. All of the wiring in the underdash connector is correct from the factory and the above wiring diagram worked perfect. I mounted the controller on the lower plastic panel to the right of the steering wheel. I used 3M trim tape, time will tell if it will hold but I have had good luck with it in the past.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WME - Thanks fo the photo, I will be attempting to install the wiring tomorrow. I have two questions. 1) How does the plastic cover (once removed exposes the picture you took) attach to the underside of the dash? It looked like there were a couple of plastic "screws", but there is no way to undo them. I tried pulling on it, but I didn't want to break it.

Also, the wiring that came with the vehicle. Did you end up cutting the cable to a certain length or did you just install it as is. Any hints would be appreciated.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I can help you with the connectors. In the middle of each plug there is a plunger that you pull out. This spreads the lower portion of the connector and holds it into place. If your fingernails are strong enough you can get some of them to pull out, but I ended up using a small flat head screwdriver to pry up the middle of the connector then pull them out with my fingers. They really are quite nice as connectors go, and I even remarked how I would like to meet the guy that invented them. If you want go pop you hood and try it out on one of the connectors that hold down the plastic shroud that is over the radiator for practice. They are the same.

Hope this helps. Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the tip Dan, I got the cover piece off and installed the controller. It was pretty easy after figuiring out how to remove the fasteners. I hooked up our camper and took it out to see how the Acadia handled it. I'd say it pulled it pretty well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
EDL :thumb:
:blob:
Much thanks for the wiring diagram. I have been seaching for this info for several days for my Enclave. Dealer has been unable to find the info. I'll wire my Warner up tomorrow. :cheers:

·
Registered
381 Posts
WME said:
I contacted Tekonsha Tech regarding the installation of their Prodigy model trailer brake controller and received the information and a photo of the plug under the dash. There is also the issue of connecting two wires to the fuse panel under the hood. Will be taking a look tomorrow and see if it is obvious when I get access to the under side of the fuse block. As a side note GMC Customer Care has their information on the supplied cable wrong. They are saying that it is a trailer wiring harness as in attaches to the trailer. That obviously isn't right as the trailer tow package uses the large 7 pin round connector.

Thank you for contacting Tekonsha Tech Support. The GM plug and play harness that you got will not work on an Acadia, it is completely different. The Acadia harness is not yet available. The harness that came with the vehicle should have five wires, (Red/Black, Black, White, Blue and Gray) that you would wire to the brake control. The wiring would go as follows.

Acadia Wires Prodigy
Red/Black Black
Black White
Blue Blue
White Red
Gray Not used

I have attached a picture of the location of the connector under the dash and of the connector it self. Just incase you have been able to locate it. If I can be of any further help please let me know.[/color]
I received my 08 Acadia with a harness in the glove box. It has the above Acadia wire allocation (5 wires) with a 6 wire connector. Harness length is ~ seven feet long.

I was going to play "guess this harness" with a photo, but this thread seems to be on par.

Is this a brake controller harness? If not - what is it for?? I finally removed it from the vehicle glovebox and have it in the house. I was initially worried it went to the tow package 7 pin connector but I verified the connector had an attached harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
??? ??? I'm atempting to hook up my brake control ( myself) . Can anyone tell me do you bring your wire through the emergency brake opening? And should I cut off some of the factory wiring harness that came with my Acadia? it's probably 3-4 feet long.
??? ???
Grandnana

·
Registered
113 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but can somebody explain to me what the brake controller your installing does?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The brake controller that they are installing controls the electric brakes on trailers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I followed WME's and Dan-M's suggestions (thank you !) and my Tekonsha Voyager controller is all set and fully operational. A few points:

1. All the wiring was fully operational right from the factory, contrary to what the manual says (a need to connect two cables to the fuse box)
2. I cut the wires to about a foot length to accommodate for the central position of the controller; I used 3M Velcro and put it under the opening for the diagnostic plug - works great and I can easily reach it when I drive.
3. I used the "natural" gap between the plastic cover and the emergency break to pull the wire.
4. I asked Tekonsha tech support to email me the cable "mappings" for the Voyager - got a reply next day with all the info.

I managed to tow my trailer for 410 miles last Sunday and everything worked like a charm.

J33

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Wiring harness

I went searching through the Acadia and came across this wiring harness. At first I thought it was a harness for towing, but I already have one next to the hitch. Here are some photos for review and I would appreciate any input

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Topic Merged with existing.[/color]

jsimms said:
I went searching through the Acadia and came across this wiring harness. At first I thought it was a harness for towing, but I already have one next to the hitch. Here are some photos for review and I would appreciate any input
The wire harness that you found was either in the glove compartment or in the storage bin in the back cargo area of the vehicle I imagine. The harness is to be used for an Auxi trailer braking system. I don't know much about them, but this thread seems to have some information about where they connect up under the dash. Hope it helps

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Thanks for the help and yes I found the harness in the left rear storage area. I don't have any plans to tow a trailer with brakes so it went back to it's home. Also there is a white plastic sheet with a hole in the top; I didn't take any pics of that but do you have any thoughts on what that is used for?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
jsimms said:
Thanks for the help and yes I found the harness in the left rear storage area. I don't have any plans to tow a trailer with brakes so it went back to it's home. Also there is a white plastic sheet with a hole in the top; I didn't take any pics of that but do you have any thoughts on what that is used for?
Halloween costume?
No Idea

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The cable is for a trailer brake controller.
The correct way to use it is to plug the adapter to
the one located near the parking brake (behind panel).

Then hard wire blunt cable ends to the controller.
Most controllers sell adapters so you don't have to
hard wire the blunt ent of the supplied cable.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts