GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the trailering package includes the trailering brake controller?

If not, is the dealer able install the one that comes on the other GM vehicles?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The trailering package does not include the controller. Believe the extra wire harness that was provided loose in my Acadia is the one used to connect the controller to the underdash panel.
There are quite a few brake controllers on the market, and I had not heard of GM including any particular one as part of the trailering package.
My 2002 Tahoe came with the harness, fuse, and instructions to install an after market controller. It was easy to install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone looking for a quality brake controller, I can't recommned highly enough the Tekonsha "Prodigy". It's a well-known model with tons of approval on towing sites like popupexplorer.com and many more. Check out www.rvwholesalers.com which is typically the best shipped price around. No, I don't work for RVW. You can also now order a special pigtail from Tekonsha (instead of the one provided with your tow package. One end plug in under your dash, the other end plugs into the Prodigy. No splicing.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the p3 and it is sweet! If remember correctly, I think it is an updated version of the Prodigy. I was a novice brake controller user and it could not have been any easier to install and use. I got the wiring harness on ebay that hooks right in under the dash. You can also find these many other places. I used velcro to mount it on the left hand side of the steering wheel just above my knee. I calibrated it just like the instructions said and off I went. I like the cool screen that it has as well. Tekonsha makes really nice products and you would definately be pleased if you got one of them.

Bill

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
who1975 said:
I have the p3 and it is sweet! If remember correctly, I think it is an updated version of the Prodigy. I was a novice brake controller user and it could not have been any easier to install and use. I got the wiring harness on ebay that hooks right in under the dash. You can also find these many other places. I used velcro to mount it on the left hand side of the steering wheel just above my knee. I calibrated it just like the instructions said and off I went. I like the cool screen that it has as well. Tekonsha makes really nice products and you would definately be pleased if you got one of them.

Bill
Is there enough room to pop the hood and use the parking brake?
Post some pics if you can, Thanks!

BTW, what color display lights look the best with the Acadia's interior?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ask and you shall receive. There are 4 picts. total.

#1- This is a pict of the velcro tape that I used.

#2- Here is the P3 hooked up.

#3- Here is the P3 with my leg showing. Don't mind the crocs on my feet.

#4- Here is the P3 installed compared to the steering wheel column.

When I went back to look at the pictures, I noticed that I did not put the P3 high enough on the velcro. I usually take the time to velcro it up just right. As you can see from picture 3, there is plenty of room for the P3 and my leg. There is no interference with the parking brake or hood release.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great pics, thanks for posting so quickly!!
Excellent idea with the velcro, I will do that also.

I was wondering, if that were to fall as yoou are driving, would it appply the brakes?
I was reading the operator's manual, and it described an inertia controlled system.
I would take that to mean it would activate the brakes.
Also warns of cell phones too close (12 inches), have you had any issues with the cell phone?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I haven't had any problems with cell phones or it falling. I used two strips of velcro to make sure that it would not fall. When I try taking the P3 off after using it, it is not the easiest thing to remove so I am pretty confident that it would stay on there. I think I might replace the velcro maybe once a year if I start to notice it not holding as well.

On a personal note, having never used a brake controller before, it is very cool. To be able to see how much power is being sent to the brakes on the P3 is cool. And the manual brake lever is a neat feature for setting how much force is needed. Definately a cool device. And adding it to the Acadia is like plugging in a light. Good Luck!

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
I think I'm going with this one, anyone have any experience or feedback with this?

Tekonsha P3
http://www.tekonsha.com/p3.html
The P3 has the same basic inner workings as the Prodigy (both made by Tekonsha), but the screen is LCD (versus digital readout on the Prodigy), allowing a much better user interface. Prodigy has diagnostic codes...nice, but you have to look the codes up on a table. The P3 simply tells you in readable words what the problem is. I think you can get the Prodigy for under $100 now. P3 will be more. But functionally, they work the same (superbly).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi One and All

I guess I made a silly assumption.

My trailer has brakes and I have a factory installed towing package, so why do I need a controller? Do the trailer brakes not activate when the vehicle brakes are applied?

I gather not.

So will I find a wiring harness soemwhere on the vehicle more or less ready to plug into some sort of controller?

Wow never thought of this.

Thanks for any help you can provide

·
Registered
143 Posts
"So will I find a wiring harness soemwhere on the vehicle more or less ready to plug into some sort of controller?"

Yes, you will find the harness that plugs into the vehicle but it will need to be "wired" to the harness that plugs into the brake controller.

What size/kind of trailer do you plan on towing? Two of the most overlooked aspects of towing is stopping and sway control. It's not just about towing capacity.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
There are several posts on here about this.

This link shows photos of the trailer brake wire that came with the Acadia equipped with the towing package. Most people found it in the cargo tray in the rear of the vehicle, could be in the glove compartment. If you didn't get one, and got the trailer package, call your dealer.

This link shows where that wire connects to, and then you wire your seperate trailer brake controller to it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
who1975 said:
Ask and you shall receive. There are 4 picts. total.

#1- This is a pict of the velcro tape that I used.

#2- Here is the P3 hooked up.

#3- Here is the P3 with my leg showing. Don't mind the crocs on my feet.

#4- Here is the P3 installed compared to the steering wheel column.

When I went back to look at the pictures, I noticed that I did not put the P3 high enough on the velcro. I usually take the time to velcro it up just right. As you can see from picture 3, there is plenty of room for the P3 and my leg. There is no interference with the parking brake or hood release.

Bill
Has anyone else used Velcro to secure a brake controller recently (past couple of months)? How is it holding up? Is there sufficient parallel surfaces between the controller and the lower dash portion to get a really good grip on the controller? On my new Prodigy, the case is somewhat curved on the surface that would get the velcro - although mosty flat.

Thx,

Smooth [/color] <><

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like my PM to you (and for others), I've not had much luck with velcro for my Prodigy on either of my minivans. Heat build-up while parked had it sagging quickly. It never fell off, but it would have if not attended to. I'm sure there is better product with stronger adhesive. But I was happy to just use the 2 screws provided and lock it down. Unless this is a lease, or you will be selling this soon, 2 holes in the dash should not be a problem.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Smooth said:
Has anyone else used Velcro to secure a brake controller recently (past couple of months)? How is it holding up? Is there sufficient parallel surfaces between the controller and the lower dash portion to get a really good grip on the controller? On my new Prodigy, the case is somewhat curved on the surface that would get the velcro - although mosty flat.

Thx,

Smooth [/color] <><
Smooth,

I ran into similar issues with my Prodigy when trying to install it into our Pontiac Montana's that were leased. On one of them we ended up putting holes in the dash, which the dealer practically had a fit over when we returned it, but they didn't squawk too much because we were stepping into another lease at the time. Net sum from that experience was that I tried to find Velcro Auto. That product doesn't seem to be widely available anymore and I could only find Velcro Industrial as a substitute.

After acquiring our '09 Outlook in June of '09, I installed the Prodigy onto the lower dash to the right of the steering column using Velcro Industrial. This area close to the bottom of the dash seems to have a reasonably flat enough surface area. I had to trial fit the Prodigy and it's mounting pocket to find a 'sweet spot' that wouldn't interfere my right leg while operating the gas/brake pedals. Velcro Industrial has worked out well so far considering the black interior trim that our Outlook has, our Montana's had cream/tan coloured dash. The Velcro Industrial product comes in a strip that's wide enough to be cut to size for good coverage on the pocket that supports the Prodigy. So far I have had ZERO issues. However I only tow during the camping season, I don't use the manual brake control/actuator on the Prodigy and I now also remove the Prodigy when the trailer is not in use and I don't remove the pocket - just the Prodigy itself. I figured that minimizing the amount of time the Prodigy is installed can only serve to benefit the velcro adhesion issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
BigTallV & Brakeman,

Thx for the good feedback. I'm still hoping to make the velcro solution work for me. Are you saying that you attached the "receptacle" holding "cup" that the Prodigy slides into - with the Velcro? I'm considering that as well - although there is limited surface on that holder on which to apply the velcro. It appears that only the lower portion of the holder has an adequate surface for velcro - & that may minimize it's effectiveness. Like you, I'll need to do a fit check. I think the location you described would be fairly optimal for me.

Thx!

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
350 Posts
The controllers are also nice to activate the brake lights without actually applying the brakes (no trailer connected) when dealing with idiot tailgaters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts