GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am trying to use Trailer Backup Lamp to turn on/off my rear view camera. The camera is connected to the trailer outlet. Problem. the trailer backup lamp looks like it is not connected at all. I checked the outlet and fuse box. 12V should show up when I switch to reverse. So far, nothing :( No voltage when I switch to reverse. No voltage ever. I replace the trailer backup relay. Still nothing.

BTW, all other trailer outlet lamps work, except this one that I need.

Please help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
do you need to be in trailoring mode? Like that button that shows the trailor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the Trailer Mode button. It doesn't help. I think it changes engine and transmission behavior. Anyway, all other trailer lamps work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure if this is the case or not. In addition to the wiring harness for trailer lights under the  rear bumper on drivers side. I have read that there is additional wiring for 12volt, electric brakes, and backup lights somewhere on the right side. I have looked very lightly but didn't see anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a relay for trailer backup lights in the fuse box under the hood. This relay doesn't get any switching current, so the issue is not in the wires after the relay, but before.

I was thinking about sending power to the camera from another fuse, but I cannot find anything reasonable in the fuse box that would be controlled by reverse gear. There is a rear camera fuse, but it is always on. Car backup lights have a fuse in another fuse box inside the cabin and the fuse is shared with stop lights. :banghead:

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's defective- it came from the factory improperly wired. See the other trailering threads. There is a new TSB which addresses this (and "dinghy towing" in the same TSB, so just check out that thread). They need to install a jumper and reprogram the computer to make it work.

Had mine fixed a few weeks ago and now it works fine (though I don't actually need it yet) but I checked it with a voltmeter and it is good.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
paslemieux said:
I am trying to use Trailer Backup Lamp to turn on/off my rear view camera.
The Metra GMOS LAN 01 adapter has a backup lead for integration with aftermarket backup cameras, FYI.

Best,

-- Pierre
So could you explain what that means for us less technical folks?

·
Registered
27 Posts
loach said:
So could you explain what that means for us less technical folks?
Well, if the camera is part of a head-unit (radio/nav) replacement, then typically one uses a GM Factory Integration Adapter (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gaJ1Z566Sy6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=gm+lan&i=120OSLAN01) to facilitate install and retain OnStar and warning chimes. As it turns out, the adapter also conveniently breaks out a 'backup' wire that can be used to signal the head-unit (and camera) that the car is backing out.

Makes sense?

-- Pierre

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Ahh, much clearer - I get it now. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for explaining GMOS LAN 01. However, it may be unnecessarily complex for my project. VR3 is a wireless camera. My installation is very cheap and simple (VR3 kit + a trailer plug; no wires). The picture is good (some interferences once a while). I have it connected to trailer stop, now. I will take the car to dealer service. Based on a previous reply, it looks like it is a car defect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trailer backup lamp is fixed after a visit at the local GMC service. At first, they said it wasn't broken because all Acadias behaved this way. But, after a short conversation, they fixed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts