GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through numerous threads and will try some of the suggestions here. However, I want to put my vehicle's issue up here and see if one of you kind folks can provide clearer direction to a possible solution/fix.

I also read the forum rules, but I am a newbie so please don't be too harsh on me.

2012 GMC Acadia SLT2 (FWD) - As it states in my signature for reference. I live in TX so it is hot most of the time; however, the issue has happened in hot and cold weather.

I bought the car used a little over 2 years ago with ~60K miles on it. The car currently has ~95K miles. The Traction Control Off, Service Stabilitrak, Reduced Engine Power and flashing Service Engine Light turns on and this issue has occurred intermittently. It has happened as much as 2-3 times per month and then the car will go for a couple months without any problems only for it to rear its ugly head again. I don't recall seeing the "Reduced Engine Power" on the driver information center (Wife's car) but it definitely has reduced engine power because the car idles very poorly (sputters like it is missing - see codes) and won't go faster than ~15 MPH. The last time I witnessed this occurring, the car ran extremely poorly and when I went to limp it home it was bellowing black smoke out of the exhaust for about a mile or so and then cleared itself and started to run fine (again, it is my wife's car and has happened to her since I witnessed it). In instances it has occurred previously, turning the car off and letting it sit for a short period of time has corrected the issue. The last time this happened while I was driving it I tried to shut the car off and let it sit for a bit but that did not correct the issue. I even disconnected battery for 10-15 minutes hoping to reset the computer yet the issue persisted until I got it out on the road and drove it for a mile or two.

I understand some of the codes I am listing may not be directly related to the issue but want to give as much information as possible as I assume all the systems in the car are tied together and may have some common point of malfunction.

P0171 - System Too Lean, Bank 1
P0174 - System Too Lean, Bank 2
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinders - Misfire Detected
C0561 (Symptom 71) - System Disabled Information Stored Invalid Serial Data Received
B1325 (Symptom 03) - Device Power #1 (Low Current #1) Circuit Malfunction
B0081 (Symptom 00) - Passenger Presence System 1
B1395 (Symptom 03) - Device Voltage Reference Output #1 Circuit Malfunction
B1529 (Symptom 03) - Device Voltage Reference Output #5 Circuit Voltage Below Threshold
B153B (Symptom 02) - Lift Gate Full Open Switch Signal Circuit Short To Ground
B2494 (Symptom 02) - Lift Gate Handle Switch Circuit Short to Ground

I have done routine maintenance on the car (oil change, air filter, rotors/brakes) & one "major" repair. I recently replaced the A/C condenser and recharged the system. However, the Traction Control and Stabilitrak issues started prior to any of the maintenance besides changing the oil.

From my search it seems as though the DTC code C0561 may be tied to the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,100 Posts
Search each code on the 'net and read about what it means, diagnostic procedure, and possible repair. You might see a common denominator in your reading which could help resolve the issue. One which stuck out to me in a quick review was low fuel pressure. Have you tested that, yet?

The poll has been closed. It is not necessary.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You may have multiple issues here going on. Since you have a scanner you should check if your scanner provides freeze frame to see it they are all from the same time.

I think the P codes should throw a CEL, maybe the C code may send a DIC message. B codes may not give you a warning. You may need to decide which one you want to tackle first and then go from there. Some of the codes are from when a module falls below a threshold voltage. How's your battery health?

Post here is you need any additional help. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@speleos - OK. Sorry about the poll. Just trying to follow the forum rules and that was a pinned thread. I have looked up all the codes. I didn't see that any of them had to do with low fuel pressure? Which one are you referring to? Maybe the definition I got was incorrect? All but (3) of the codes I pulled from the scanner itself. Which isn't to say that I may have mis-referenced the code when searching for each of the 3. I have not tested fuel pressure but it is something I will check. Thank you for the response!

In my searches I have found the following recommendations for the codes I have. (1) Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module or wheel speed sensor (2) Timing Chain malfunction (3) Malfunctioning or dirty throttle body (4) Clogged Fuel Injectors (5) Vacuum Leak (6) Battery. I have those listed in order from what I believe is highest likelihood to least... but that is why I posted to see if I could get some expert opinions on the matter to pinpoint and target the main issue.
@Chop-chop I believe the battery is in good health. I haven't had any noticeable issues related to the battery; however, I will put a voltage meter on it and test it to see if there is an issue there. Greatly appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
20,100 Posts
@speleos - OK. Sorry about the poll. Just trying to follow the forum rules and that was a pinned thread. I have looked up all the codes. I didn't see that any of them had to do with low fuel pressure? ...
The discussion of low fuel pressure starts with a description of the lean running codes and is mentioned in discussion of the 'B' codes (at least what was read about B1325). A lean condition can also trigger misfire codes.

It would be great to find someone with a scan tool capable of watching how things are operating while the engine is running. It would give a better diagnosis of the problem than just a code scanner. The issues could be strictly electronic, as opposed to mechanical failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@speleos - OK. Sorry about the poll. Just trying to follow the forum rules and that was a pinned thread. I have looked up all the codes. I didn't see that any of them had to do with low fuel pressure? Which one are you referring to? Maybe the definition I got was incorrect? All but (3) of the codes I pulled from the scanner itself. Which isn't to say that I may have mis-referenced the code when searching for each of the 3. I have not tested fuel pressure but it is something I will check. Thank you for the response! In my searches I have found the following recommendations for the codes I have. (1) Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module or wheel speed sensor (2) Timing Chain malfunction (3) Malfunctioning or dirty throttle body (4) Clogged Fuel Injectors (5) Vacuum Leak (6) Battery. I have those listed in order from what I believe is highest likelihood to least... but that is why I posted to see if I could get some expert opinions on the matter to pinpoint and target the main issue.
@Chop-chop I believe the battery is in good health. I haven't had any noticeable issues related to the battery; however, I will put a voltage meter on it and test it to see if there is an issue there. Greatly appreciate the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry. I don't know what happened to my reply. I went to edit the reply to clean it up and it has now disappeared. Anyhow. I will look into each of your suggestions. Thank you for the quick responses!

·
Super Moderator
20,100 Posts
Sorry. I don't know what happened to my reply. I went to edit the reply to clean it up and it has now disappeared. Anyhow. I will look into each of your suggestions. Thank you for the quick responses!
You have a limited amount of time to edit a reply (10 minutes, I think). The forum probably timed out on you. There's no need to repost anything. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
So the codes that are important here are the “P” codes. A random miss with lean conditions makes me suspect the intake manifold and or gasket is leaking. It could very well be something else like a mass air flow sensor, o2 ex. . . I thing the intake manifold gasket is most likely. Spray throttle body cleaner all around the intake and vacuum lines. Listen or watch for an rpm increase. Unless you have the ability to watch the fuel trims from your scanner. If the rpms incease while spraying throttle body cleaner, you have found a vacuum leak which is causing a lean and random misfire condition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a similar issue but just didn't have the reduced power. I have a 2008 and it had the P0171 and P0174 codes and traction control off. I had to replace the front PCV breather valve b/c it was broken at the inlet to the air intake, I also cleaned the secondary PCV breather valve that came off the top of the engine and runs towards the back (
), I also cleaned out my MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor with MAF cleaner, and cleaned out my throttle body with CARB cleaner, and last but not least I ran a can of Sea Foam Engine Cleaner through the throttle body intake.

There's a known issue with the throttle body for this car. I think there'a another post in the forums along with a service bulletin.

At the end after I ran through the run in procedure with Sea Foam. I cleared my fault codes and put on 100 miles so that my sensors would log data so I could pass inspection. It solved my issue, I no longer had Check Engine Lights, No more Traction Control Off issues, and my car runs with a little more pep. This may or maynot fix your issue, but it will at least eliminate some common issues that could be a primary cause in your troubles.

Good Luck

wgab

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue on my wifes 2014' Acadia, the Traction Control Off, Service Stabilitrak, Reduced Engine Power and flashing Service Engine Light turns on and this issue occurred intermittently for around 4 months. I took it in to the repair shop and they couldn't find out what was wrong because at the time, it wasn't showing a code. One day it finally happened again, we drove straight to the shop and they performed a scan and it showed that it could be a break light switch/sensor. They didn't have one in stock, so they told me to pick one up at the dealership and that I could do it myself. It was less than $15 for the sensor and easy to install it on the break pedal arm. I haven't had an issue in over 6 months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a similar issue but just didn't have the reduced power. I have a 2008 and it had the P0171 and P0174 codes and traction control off. I had to replace the front PCV breather valve b/c it was broken at the inlet to the air intake, I also cleaned the secondary PCV breather valve that came off the top of the engine and runs towards the back I also cleaned out my MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor with MAF cleaner, and cleaned out my throttle body with CARB cleaner, and last but not least I ran a can of Sea Foam Engine Cleaner through the throttle body intake.

There's a known issue with the throttle body for this car. I think there'a another post in the forums along with a service bulletin.

At the end after I ran through the run in procedure with Sea Foam. I cleared my fault codes and put on 100 miles so that my sensors would log data so I could pass inspection. It solved my issue, I no longer had Check Engine Lights, No more Traction Control Off issues, and my car runs with a little more pep. This may or maynot fix your issue, but it will at least eliminate some common issues that could be a primary cause in your troubles.

Good Luck

wgab
Thank you. I am going to try this out this weekend. I may skip the Sea Foam for now but going to clean all this up and replace the PCV valve and clean up the intake. I haven't pulled any intake lines off but I figure those parts can't be too expensive and as you said... will eliminate that as being the issue and may fix it. Thank you for the detailed response and guide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a similar issue but just didn't have the reduced power. I have a 2008 and it had the P0171 and P0174 codes and traction control off. I had to replace the front PCV breather valve b/c it was broken at the inlet to the air intake, I also cleaned the secondary PCV breather valve that came off the top of the engine and runs towards the back , I also cleaned out my MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor with MAF cleaner, and cleaned out my throttle body with CARB cleaner, and last but not least I ran a can of Sea Foam Engine Cleaner through the throttle body intake.

At the end after I ran through the run in procedure with Sea Foam. I cleared my fault codes and put on 100 miles so that my sensors would log data so I could pass inspection. It solved my issue, I no longer had Check Engine Lights, No more Traction Control Off issues, and my car runs with a little more pep. This may or may not fix your issue, but it will at least eliminate some common issues that could be a primary cause in your troubles.

Good Luck

wgab
Thank you. I will be trying this out this weekend. Appreciate the detailed response. I will keep all posted on progress. I am going to start out least expensive to more expensive. Next I may try replacing spark plugs, coils, throttle body, MAF, & crank position sensor. AKA Throw parts at it (I'm a highly skilled mechanic <--- Kidding). If none of that helps. Bye Bye Acadia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's the free definitive fix! Don't take the BPPS undone. The car thinks you're driving with one foot on the brake and one on the gas. GM's TSB even says to tell the customer to stop driving with both feet.

I got all kinds of OBD2 codes. I followed all the dealer service bulletin advice and spent lots of money - throttle body replaced, coil packs replaced, 3 BPPS replacements, new vehicle speed sensors at the front wheel bearing reluctors, calibrations, wiring repairs, almost replaced the yaw accelerometer, etc. Nothing worked.

Problem can be repaired in place. The metal dowel to the BPPS is welded to a metal flat bar that travels up the brake pedal and around the pedal pivot point. At the top of the metal bar (just above the brake switch, there is a hole in the bar at the top tab. Simply insert a driver or metal bit into the hole, pointing upwards at about a 60 degree angle and bend the tab forward (towards the driver's seat) until the dowel engages the BPPS.

Over years of use, wear in the master cylinder and push rod causes the tab to move backwards. Bending the metal tab on the brake pedal dowel arm solved everything - no more "service stabilitrac," "traction control off," Service ABS," cruise control problems, limp mode, etc. Brake lights were coming on at 6 second intervals each time the pedal was released. All brake lights now work at the proper time.

I am a certified master mechanic automotive instructor and own an Acadia, an Equinox, and a Yukon. This problem was driving me out of my mind. It took about an hour of staring at the brake pedal to realize the problem. I couldn't see the forest for the trees! This problem has been showing up on every model of GM vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So the codes that are important here are the “P” codes. A random miss with lean conditions makes me suspect the intake manifold and or gasket is leaking. It could very well be something else like a mass air flow sensor, o2 ex. . . I thing the intake manifold gasket is most likely. Spray throttle body cleaner all around the intake and vacuum lines. Listen or watch for an rpm increase. Unless you have the ability to watch the fuel trims from your scanner. If the rpms incease while spraying throttle body cleaner, you have found a vacuum leak which is causing a lean and random misfire condition.
I have read through numerous threads and will try some of the suggestions here. However, I want to put my vehicle's issue up here and see if one of you kind folks can provide clearer direction to a possible solution/fix.

I also read the forum rules, but I am a newbie so please don't be too harsh on me.

2012 GMC Acadia SLT2 (FWD) - As it states in my signature for reference. I live in TX so it is hot most of the time; however, the issue has happened in hot and cold weather.

I bought the car used a little over 2 years ago with ~60K miles on it. The car currently has ~95K miles. The Traction Control Off, Service Stabilitrak, Reduced Engine Power and flashing Service Engine Light turns on and this issue has occurred intermittently. It has happened as much as 2-3 times per month and then the car will go for a couple months without any problems only for it to rear its ugly head again. I don't recall seeing the "Reduced Engine Power" on the driver information center (Wife's car) but it definitely has reduced engine power because the car idles very poorly (sputters like it is missing - see codes) and won't go faster than ~15 MPH. The last time I witnessed this occurring, the car ran extremely poorly and when I went to limp it home it was bellowing black smoke out of the exhaust for about a mile or so and then cleared itself and started to run fine (again, it is my wife's car and has happened to her since I witnessed it). In instances it has occurred previously, turning the car off and letting it sit for a short period of time has corrected the issue. The last time this happened while I was driving it I tried to shut the car off and let it sit for a bit but that did not correct the issue. I even disconnected battery for 10-15 minutes hoping to reset the computer yet the issue persisted until I got it out on the road and drove it for a mile or two.

I understand some of the codes I am listing may not be directly related to the issue but want to give as much information as possible as I assume all the systems in the car are tied together and may have some common point of malfunction.

C0561 (Symptom 71) - System Disabled Information Stored Invalid Serial Data Received
B1529 (Symptom 03) - Device Voltage Reference Output #5 Circuit Voltage Below Threshold

I have done routine maintenance on the car (oil change, air filter, rotors/brakes) & one "major" repair. I recently replaced the A/C condenser and recharged the system. However, the Traction Control and Stabilitrak issues started prior to any of the maintenance besides changing the oil.

From my search it seems as though the DTC code C0561 may be tied to the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module?

Hello I have a 12' denali and am now having the same issues. However before thile lights I noticed my car sputtering and would laps in power if pushing on gas pedal quickly. I read that my torque converter could be the issue. I don't know if that got worse and that's why the lights are now going off. May be something to look into?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello I have a 12' denali and am now having the same issues. However before thile lights I noticed my car sputtering and would laps in power if pushing on gas pedal quickly. I read that my torque converter could be the issue. I don't know if that got worse and that's why the lights are now going off. May be something to look into?
Have the code read. Just because a code points towards a sensor, it doesn't mean that sensor is bad. It just gives you a starting point to go from. It could be a dirty throttle body - fixed with a can of carb cleaner and a wire brush. A torque converter could lock up due to an idle air solenoid malfunction or an overheat condition, too. Thing is to get the codes and if you want, send them to me and I'll see if I can come up with anything - free.

You could also be experiencing what is known as "limp mode" - the car can limp home to get repaired. If it truly is a transmission problem, and not a brake pedal position switch problem, I've had that on my Acadia. In the transmission cover (closest to the radiator), there is a transmission control module. It relies on plastic discs to allow fluid pressure to press against sensors and cause the trans to shift gears properly. Like all things made of plastic, soaked in chemicals. exposed to heat and cold and pressure, these pressure discs will break, making the transmission not shift properly. A dealer quoted me over $2000.00 to repair this and recalibrate the trans control module (TCM).

I found a company called Sonnax on line who supplied the parts (about ten cents worth of material) and an installation tool for about $70.00. To remove the TCM, replace the discs, and re-install the TCM took about 2.5 hours. No need to recalibrate because you're not replacing the TCM. That was 58,000 miles ago and I've had no problems with the transmission since. Google this on eBay. It says now $31.00!:

Sonnax Pressure Switch Installation Tool Kit for GM Transmissions 6t70 6t75 6l80

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Great helpful info !

·
Banned
6 Posts

I had the same problem. I replaced the "Brake Pedal Sensor", did not work. I then replaced the Oil Control VVT Valve Intake Variable Timing Solenoid. That seemed to do the trick.

(mod edit - spam reference removed)

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't think Acadia Spammer... I mean Scholar.... will be around for long.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts