GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last car I ordered was a PT Cruiser when they first came out. Somehow, and I don't remember how, I was able to find out what Norfolk Southern rail car my vehicle was actually on, then by going to their website I was able to track it as soon as it crossed the border (from Mexico) all the way to Newark, DE. I was then able to track the same railcar going back the other way, empty, so I knew when it was unloaded. It arrived in Bethlehem, PA by truck to my dealer the next day.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the specifics of how I found out the rail car number. My 57 year old brain cells ain't what they used to be, and I've since replaced my computer and didn't keep any of those files, but I'll keep looking. I know I had the VIN number of my car from the dealer, and that's how I was able to track it to a specific railcar.

Anyone else ever do anything like that?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just found the PT Cruiser forum that I was using back then. Here's the link:

http://www.ptcruiserclub.org/gforum.cgi?post=77770;search_string=railcar;guest=6898265#77770

At that time I got the railcar number directly from Daimler Chrysler (need your car's VIN first). A good dealer can also get that info for you. I know it was a lot of fun tracking the railcar and seeing it actually getting closer to it's final destination.

So, if you have a VIN number, but are still waiting, see what you can finad out from GM about a railcar number. You can tell them Chrysler gives out this info to their customers!!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I had asked my dealer. They said GM used to do it but no longer allows the customer to track the order.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as we know, all dealers are not created equal. when mine is built I'm going to try with both my dealer and with GM customer service directly. I suggest we all do!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I think it is a GM thing in general

·
Registered
2 Posts
The system used to track the vehicles is now the same one used to place the orders for the vehicles.
Just ask your dealer, he can tell you the stage at which your vehicle is being built and when it is
shipped to the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts