GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to order replacements for my 12 year old tpms sensors. Can't believe they lasted this long. Rock auto is showing two possible parts, both ac delco. one has a rubber stem and the other is metal. What do you recommend? I actually lost a sensor when a tire shop roughly added air to my tires and broke the metal stem. Maybe a fluke.

ACDELCO TPMS171K metal

ACDELCO TPMS175K rubber

gmpartdirect has a rubber stem unit for about ten bucks a piece more. A tire dealer wanted 200 bucks to install them. That seems high .

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
You can purchase what you want at your local tire store and have them installed. It might cost you less to do that. Metal or rubber stem is totally up to you.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
I believe there was an issue with the early metal stems rusting. Road salts?

They became easy to break.

But you can get that part #, and search on ebay, Amazon and see if someone has a set of 4.
I recall the older model replacements were a bit more expensive than the newer sensors.

I had a small tire shop install them when I was replacing my tires.
It was an additional charge of $5 per tire to pop them on.

I would personally go with rubber version/

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
I believe there was an issue with the early metal stems rusting. Road salts? ...
Hogwash!!! The metal ones are aluminum alloy. Rust is not a problem. Heck, roads here get treated with a solution of salt and water from merely a mention of the word "snow" on the news. They'll crack, or break when some ignorant tech pulls the tire chuck off without regard to the type of part they're working on, though. My metal TPMS lasted nearly 10 years, through 2 sets of tires.

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
... A tire dealer wanted 200 bucks to install them. That seems high .
Ask another tire dealer about changing them for you. They only need to break the bead on the outside of the wheel to change a TPMS (either type). There is no need to rebalance the wheels when they do it that way, either, unless the tech screws up something.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another dealer quoted me 500 bucks to replace the sensors with his non Delco units. Predicted only 3 years battery life. yikes.

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Another dealer quoted me 500 bucks to replace the sensors with his non Delco units. Predicted only 3 years battery life. yikes.
I guess you're going to pay a hefty price for procrastination. :facepalm: It's beyond comprehension why you didn't think about changing the TPMS sensors as part of routine maintenance when you got a new set of tires (second set in my case).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I tried getting sensors two years ago when I replaced my tired. The tire dealer wanted 90 bucks a sensor and 100 bucks labor. About 460 dollars. Thought that was a rip off and refused the offer.

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Actually I tried getting sensors two years ago when I replaced my tired. The tire dealer wanted 90 bucks a sensor and 100 bucks labor. About 460 dollars. Thought that was a rip off and refused the offer.
That's pretty interesting. Was it the same tire dealer you went to a few years back (2014) when you broke a TPMS sensor stem and wrote this post to the forum?

I found a tire shop that replaced the sensor for $60 out the door. They had the electronic calibration tool and had the sensors calibrated in second. They did say to change out the rest but will try to hold out until I replace the tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not the same dealer but I tried him also as I remembered how cheap he was. Not cheap any longer and said his sensors last only 5 years.
Wouldn't install ac delco because he didn't have the right calibration tool. (don't think you need it) i'm going to order the delco units since they have worked well on my tires.

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Not the same dealer but I tried him also as I remembered how cheap he was. Not cheap any longer and said his sensors last only 5 years.
Wouldn't install ac delco because he didn't have the right calibration tool. (don't think you need it) i'm going to order the delco units since they have worked well on my tires.
Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. GM's sensors aren't that unique. ACDelco doesn't make the sensors. A sensor I bought from GMPartsDirect was made by Siemens, in France. It came in ACDelco (maybe GM) packaging, though. The original one which came off the car had the same manufacturer's labels. TPMS matching tools are generally setup for activating many brands of sensors. Nearly all TPMS systems operate at the same frequency.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Issue arose when customers changed the valve caps. Salt helped too.
Dissimilar metals caused galvanic corrosion- and the top of the valve stems broke off.
This became a significant problem that Kent Moore came out with a kit to leave the sensor in place- but you re-cored the sensor.
Interesting how you drilled it down- then made new inner threads- and added a new valve stem.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can purchase what you want at your local tire store and have them installed. It might cost you less to do that. Metal or rubber stem is totally up to you.
Hey Bud: Do you know anything about the aftermarket monitors from Amazon and other such places? I heard some have to be programmed before they will work. Others will be automatically picked up by the computer. I'm getting new tires on the Wife's 2012 Acadia SLT and the DIC has to be cancelled every time she starts the truck. One started giving problems at first, a year or so ago. Now I'm getting all zeros on the readout. I apologize for hi-jacking a 4 month old post but I've received great advice from you in the past and thought I'd buzz in. The local GM dealer here in Nova Scotia wants around $80.00 a piece for GM replacements. Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Hey Bud: Do you know anything about the aftermarket monitors from Amazon and other such places? I heard some have to be programmed before they will work. Others will be automatically picked up by the computer.
There shouldn't be any problem with the aftermarket TPMS as long as the frequency matches what you already have on your Acadia - most of them do. You will have to have the TPMS correlated to wheel position, though. Any tire shop with a tool should be able to do that for you at a nominal fee. You could do the correlation (relearn) yourself if the procedure is in your owner's manual. You'll need a tire gauge and compressor to finish the work

·
Registered
139 Posts
There shouldn't be any problem with the aftermarket TPMS as long as the frequency matches what you already have on your Acadia - most of them do. You will have to have the TPMS correlated to wheel position, though. Any tire shop with a tool should be able to do that for you at a nominal fee. You could do the correlation (relearn) yourself if the procedure is in your owner's manual. You'll need a tire gauge and compressor to finish the work
Sounds good. How do I find out the frequency I need to match mine?

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Sounds good. How do I find out the frequency I need to match mine?
You really don't have to be too concerned about it as long as you shop for ones that are for Acadia. Wikipedia is a good source, though. LOL "Most direct TPMS systems use ultra high frequency (UHF) radio in one of the 'unlicensed' ISM bands (industrial, scientific and medical) for transmitting the data, often around 434 MHz in Europe and 315 MHz in much of the rest of the world. " Here's another article to read: TPMS DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION – GMC ACADIA 2007-2020

·
Registered
139 Posts
You really don't have to be too concerned about it as long as you shop for ones that are for Acadia. Wikipedia is a good source, though. LOL "Most direct TPMS systems use ultra high frequency (UHF) radio in one of the 'unlicensed' ISM bands (industrial, scientific and medical) for transmitting the data, often around 434 MHz in Europe and 315 MHz in much of the rest of the world. " Here's another article to read: TPMS DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION – GMC ACADIA 2007-2020
Thanks Speleos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
4 Participants
blackstar
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing