GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here towed a boat or trailer with their new Acadia yet? I would love to hear your impressions. I plan on pulling a 19 foot boat with this vehicle. It is rated at 4,500 pounds for max towing. My boat is about 2,500 fully loaded so I am pretty sure it will handle it just fine. I don't have a trailer brake on my trailer so I was wondering if the brakes on the Acadia will be sufficient. Also I would be interested in any input regarding towing with this wonderful new "rig". My old tow vehicle was a half ton Sierra Denali that was probably the BEST tow vehicle in the world for what I pull. One of the main factors in my decision to buy Acadian was it's tow capacity. I don't think I would want to pull 4,500 pounds with it but you never know. So please tell me what your plans are for towing with your new Acadia, and share any towing experiences and knowledge.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
405 Posts
this probably wont help you much, but the reason i bought an acadia is so that i had a more fuel efficient daily driver. Other than my 11 MPG Yukon xl that i use to tow my 22 ft boat and if i ever need to my grand father 30 ft boat. but my 22 only weighs 3900 pounds , so i might pull it with the acadia to se how it does one day. the thing i am worried about is the front wheel drive i use 4-wheel low on the yukon to hall the boat out of the water. but it would be very nice to know that i can if i need to. but i imagine that if your boat only ways 2500 pounds that it should be ok. My rule of thum on the trailer brakes is if the weight i am towing is more than half of the vehicles maximum tow rating.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think the biggest problem is going to be power. My Acadia is awd model and in my opinion is too heavy for the power that it has. The car needs more torque or lower gearing. 2500 pounds is probably ok on the flats, but I think at altitude or hills the engine is going to struggle a bit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I towed around 2,200 lbs for 70 miles last weekend. Up and down pretty big hills on highway 44 in Missouri...going between 70-75 mph most of the time.

Averaged 17 mpg.

Engine went into 4th gear only a couple times.

Used the tow mode 100% of the time.

Brakes worked great (no trailer brakes).

The Acadia does not have the torque of the Armada I traded in (that had 385 lbs off torque)...nor does it have the max tow rating of 9,100 lbs of the Armada...Considering these differences I would say GMC did a fantastic job of setting up the Acadia for towing.

Probably really pushing the limits at 4,500 lbs...not sure I would tow something that heavy across the country...but getting something near that weight down the highway a few miles should not pose much of a problem.

I have a boat that weighs 2,900 lbs with trailer and I would be a little concerned if I didn't have the AWD...getting into the water may not pose a problem...but if it's a semi steep launch ramp and you are taking it out of the water with FWD...hope for good traction and not many rocks to make the tires slip.

Good luck...

Remember...there is another post here that includes a "poll" on towing experiences.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RedRocker said:
I towed around 2,200 lbs for 70 miles last weekend. Up and down pretty big hills on highway 44 in Missouri...going between 70-75 mph most of the time.

Averaged 17 mpg.

Engine went into 4th gear only a couple times.

Used the tow mode 100% of the time.

Brakes worked great (no trailer brakes).

The Acadia does not have the torque of the Armada I traded in (that had 385 lbs off torque)...nor does it have the max tow rating of 9,100 lbs of the Armada...Considering these differences I would say GMC did a fantastic job of setting up the Acadia for towing.

Probably really pushing the limits at 4,500 lbs...not sure I would tow something that heavy across the country...but getting something near that weight down the highway a few miles should not pose much of a problem.

I have a boat that weighs 2,900 lbs with trailer and I would be a little concerned if I didn't have the AWD...getting into the water may not pose a problem...but if it's a semi steep launch ramp and you are taking it out of the water with FWD...hope for good traction and not many rocks to make the tires slip.

Good luck...

Remember...there is another post here that includes a "poll" on towing experiences.

Great information, thanks for the post. And I thought I had seen all the threads here but I guess I missed the earlier towing post/ poll.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have towed 4500 lbs with the vehicle with no problems at all. I've been to altitude and across the country and it does just fine. A couple pieces of advice though. If you are going to tow this much, you absolutely want the towing package. Not so much for the tow/haul button, but you really need the uplevel radiator for the additional cooling it provides. I also prefer AWD too when towing this much.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Do you have AWD? I ordered the FWD, but will need to tow around 3500-4000. Do you think this is a problem? Any advice? I will be towing one or two horses and a trailor. Got the towing package.

·
Registered
179 Posts
mckcab said:
Do you have AWD? I ordered the FWD, but will need to tow around 3500-4000. Do you think this is a problem? Any advice? I will be towing one or two horses and a trailor. Got the towing package.
You'll be fine, but there is a much greater chance of wheel slip with the FWD while towing heavier loads. Traction control will help here, but with AWD it wouldn't be an issue.

I think the AWD is great for the 2 or 3 times you really need it in the winter or when pulling a heavier trailer. I don't know that for the few times it comes in handy, that it makes up for the fuel economy you give up though. I'd probably go with the FWD, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lzwhb2 said:
I have towed 4500 lbs with the vehicle with no problems at all. I've been to altitude and across the country and it does just fine. A couple pieces of advice though. If you are going to tow this much, you absolutely want the towing package. Not so much for the tow/haul button, but you really need the uplevel radiator for the additional cooling it provides. I also prefer AWD too when towing this much.
WOW! Thats great to hear. Also, am I right that the tow package that comes standard on the SLT-2 is what you are referring to?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dan-M said:
lzwhb2 said:
WOW! Thats great to hear. Also, am I right that the tow package that comes standard on the SLT-2 is what you are referring to?

the trailering package is optional on all trim levels. If you custom built it and did NOT specify you wanted it YOU DO NOT have it. but if you just bought it and there is a hitch on the back with a cover on it you DO have it. Check your window sticker it is a trailer package ($425 option). It includes a trailer hitch and heavy duty cooling

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rollin thunder said:
Dan-M said:
lzwhb2 said:

the trailering package is optional on all trim levels. If you custom built it and did NOT specify you wanted it YOU DO NOT have it. but if you just bought it and there is a hitch on the back with a cover on it you DO have it. Check your window sticker it is a trailer package ($425 option). It includes a trailer hitch and heavy duty cooling

Thanks I have it!!!! YEA!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dan-M,
I currently have a Rendezvous AWD with the trailer package and I have no problem pulling my 19' boat. The boat & trailer weigh about 2500 lbs. and the Rendezvous is rated at 3500 lbs. for towing. You should have no problem with the Acadia pulling your boat. I'm looking at the Acadia/Enclave this year and the 4500 lb towing capacity is one of the features that attracted me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. I now feel assured that my towing experiences will be good ones.

I will put the boat on next weekend and post my results.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The specs on my boat state that it weighs 2,740 pounds. It is a 19' with a v-8. Any way to know what the Trailer wieghs?

I am guessing that my total load is about 3,500 pounds including Trailer and Gear - so I am confident that the Acadia's 4,500 rating is enough.

·
Registered
405 Posts
JB said:
The specs on my boat state that it weighs 2,740 pounds. It is a 19' with a v-8. Any way to know what the Trailer wieghs?

I am guessing that my total load is about 3,500 pounds including Trailer and Gear - so I am confident that the Acadia's 4,500 rating is enough.
If you still have your old tow vehicle take it to a truck weighing station and they will let you weigh your trailer. i did that about a year ago to know how much tung weight i had and if i needed to adjust my load. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts