GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a quote from DeForger which made me wonder about proper towing.
Thanks DeForger for the post idea!

Tow trucks secure your vehicle with J hooks and some times they hook it to stuff they shouldn't.

Bobby[/color]

This got me thinking, where is a tow truck supposed to hook up on the Acadia
for a proper tow?

Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Copper,

Don't tow trucks typically grab a vehicle from the chassis just inside the wheel wells - & then secure w/staps over the tires? I can't remember seeing a car being towed by a cable & "hook" as if it's a fish on the end of a line. That is - unless the tow truck is pulling you out of a ditch /w a cable & winch.

Smooth [/color] <><

·
Super Moderator
22,561 Posts
Guys, I chain my Acadia to a trailer when I take a vehicle with me while RV-ing. There are holes on the subframe behind the front wheels where the suspension is attached to the sub. I put the towchain hooks into those holes so I don't grab any suspension parts. Similar holes can be found at the rear just above the rear suspension mounts. The rear holes are a bit harder to reach so I left a clevis in each one and run the chain through the clevis.

Good tow operators have nearly every kind of attaching device and towing instructions for most vehicles they would be asked to tow. Catalogues for towing application hardware are pretty amazing things. There are some really interestig pieces of hardware out there!

·
Registered
428 Posts
On the few ocassions i have had to have one of my vehicles towed i always request that it be towed on a rollback truck. Its just my preference and most tow companies have rollback trucks for that purpose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts