GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't read much lately on towing results so I thought I'd share this with the group.

Last weekend the family and I drove from northern Indiana to St Louis Missouri completely loaded down.

My wife and 15 month son, our 2 Labradors (Sammy and Hagar!) and all of our luggage...cooler, etc. So the inside of the Acadia was packed to the max.

I own a 14 foot utility trailer and we were carrying a Club Car golf cart...so I'm guessing this weighed in around 3,000 to 3,200 pounds. No max capacity for the Acadia...but certainly a significant amount of weight...and not very streamlined either.

I was able to drive 365 miles on one tank of gas!!! About 1/2 the time we drove this trip with our old Armada (with a 28 gallon gas tank) we couldn't make it without fueling up and we NEVER needed to bring our trailer...!!!

So...we did make in on one tank of gas but we were flying pretty close to the sun! Used 21.8 gallons of gas! So this resulted in a 16.74 mpg!!!!! I couldn't have been happier with the performance!

I used "tow mode" the entire trip. The transmission held 5th gear the entire time...I took it out of "tow mode" a couple times on slight declines to see if the tranny would shift to 6th and it would...but once we hit a flat spot it immediately shifted into 5th, so I learned then to keep it in "tow mode"...I drove 95% of the trip around 65 mph with occasional moves to the 70 mph range. I used mid grade gasoline from BP. Tire pressure for the trip was in the 38-40 range depending on the temerature outside. We made one stop for food...so most of the driving was at cruising range and we did not hit any rush hour traffic in Chicago or St Louis. No wind...no head wind, no side wind, no tail wind.

I have an AWD SLT-2.

So is the Acadia saving us thousands in fuel costs vs the vehicle we traded in...it sure is.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice report RedRocker! I have ordered my Acadia with the Towing package and imagine I will only use it a few times. But after reading around on the forum about trying to add it after the fact, I decided to get it from the factory and not run into any buyer's remorse down the road. It's a great value with respect to cost, in my opinion.

I may try and rent an RV trailer later in the fall for a small family get-away to the Hill Country. That would be my first opportunity to try the towing capability out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice review... :cheers:

I wondered what that "Tow" button actually did. Does it do anything besides keeping the tranny out of 6th gear? IE different shift points or anything?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't have a long distance tow report, but, I do have this one.  I borrrowed a heavy two axle trailer (6' x 12') from my cousin this past week and used it for several hauling chores (for the guys, if you have a wife, you know about cleaning out the garage).  Anyway one of my chores was getting mulch.  When the mulch was loaded on the trailer, the gross weight of the Acadia and the trailer was 9215 pounds.  I truely could not tell the trailer was back there.  I have the factory tow package and I used tow mode.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The tow mode on the transmission just implements a different set of shift points for the transmission. It hold gears longer to maximize power and keep the transmission cooler when towing. It also holds gears longer when going downhill to use the engine for breaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts