GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, apparently the towing capacity for 2009 is going to be increased to 5,200lbs for the 2009 model year. It was mentioned on a GMC Media site I found online. Does anyone know when this will go into actual production? A GMC rep I spoke to when I called said the towing capacity still stands at 4,500 until the new stronger hitch is "validated" and then it will go into the 2009 production. I need the extra capacity, but are we talking days, weeks, months? Why wasn't it ready for the start of 2009 production? If I am not mistaken the Canadian version of the Acadia already shows the increased tow capacity.

·
Registered
533 Posts
DA1,

You would have thought that if up'ing the rating was in the works, that it would be standard as of day-1 of '09 production. Hard to tell when / why it'll be printed as spec. The former Class III hitches were all rated for 5,000 lbs for years. It a bit hard to understand why 200 lbs would be a "deal-breaker" on current design. But, if GM is putting their signature on 5,200 lbs, then they'd better be sure the hitch assembly will handle that much - plus a safety margin. I plan to order an '09 w/ trailering, but I doubt I'll tow that much weight.

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Info I read said the Traverse would have a towing capacity of 5,200 because of the increased air flow due to the front end design. Haven't seen anything that indicated an increase on the Acadia, but I haven't looked either.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dumb question #1563 - What exactly was I supposed to get with my trailering package?

Does it include the ball and hitch part? Or just the receiver that is mounted under the Acadia (plus the HD radiator and the trailering switch on the dash)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm still waiting for my Acadia, but what I expect to get (based on my Chev. Tahoe) is the installed hitch frame and receiver, heavy duty radiator and trans cooler, 7 pin connector, and 7 to 4 pin wiring adapter. The ball and mount that it bolts to are not provided but available through GM, RV shops, most auto parts houses.
My Tahoe actually had the wire harness for an electronic brake control, I don't expect that with the Acadia.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No "ball and hitch part". No 7 to 4 pin wiring adapter. Yes, you do get a wire harness for an electronic brake controller.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**Towing package update**. I e-mailed Randy Fox with GMC communications and he said that the towing capacity is supposed to increase to 5,200lbs from the current 4,500lbs in October when a new stronger receiver and bumper beam are put into production. It is currently awaiting validation. Bummer, I'll have to wait to order it. :-\, cause I need the extra capacity!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
lewisra said:
No "ball and hitch part". No 7 to 4 pin wiring adapter. Yes, you do get a wire harness for an electronic brake controller.
Plus the tow mode for the transmission. It holds gears longer in this mode. You also get the increased cooling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts