GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...so the High Feature V6 doesn't have the torque of my old Nissan Armada. I can tow everything I need to with 4,500 capacity...but the Armada didn't do this....

2 Amazing Features...

1. Lane Change Signal...when in the Tow Mode it flashed 6 times instead of the normal 3 to compensate for the slower lane changing a driver would do while towing! Nice saftey feature.

2. When in Tow Mode then Computer does an amazing job of holding a specific gear...not just to get over the hill on the highway, but also to do some engine braking on the way down.

Yesterday I towed a trailer than weighed 1,500 pounds for about 60 miles. Here in Missouri the highways are very rolling...constantly going up or down...rarely is there any flat road. At the beginning of my trip the tranny would kick down to 5th gear and then when I hit the crest off the hill it would shift into 6th. (all in tow mode of course). After about 4-5 hills the tranny decided to start holding the 5th gear longer and it really helped because the lower gear helped do some engine braking on the way down. The Acadia actually adapted itself to the road conditions to make the driving safer/easier on the brakes and much easier.

And a little extra benefit was that I averaged 17.5 MPG which was about 5 MPG higher than what I would normally get in the Armada w/the same load.

Score another win for the Acadia!

What else did those engineers think of that you only learn about by putting the vehicle to work?!

:blob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Did you use the wiring harness that came with the towing package on Acadia, or did you use something else? If the Acadia harness, can you elaborate on its functionality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the 7 point plug next to the hitch. My trailer does not have brakes...just lights...so I use a plastic converter to switch the 7 point to a 4 point "flat" plug the trailer uses.

That part was simple...plug and play so to speak.

One other nice feature about the Tow Mode on the Acadia is the Alternator kicks it up a notch to provide more volts for the cooling fans and other electrical needs while you are towing.

So better Transmission performance and better electronic of the Alternator and the lane change signals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
RedRocker said:
2. When in Tow Mode then Computer does an amazing job of holding a specific gear...not just to get over the hill on the highway, but also to do some engine braking on the way down.

Yesterday I towed a trailer than weighed 1,500 pounds for about 60 miles. Here in Missouri the highways are very rolling...constantly going up or down...rarely is there any flat road. At the beginning of my trip the tranny would kick down to 5th gear and then when I hit the crest off the hill it would shift into 6th. (all in tow mode of course). After about 4-5 hills the tranny decided to start holding the 5th gear longer and it really helped because the lower gear helped do some engine braking on the way down. The Acadia actually adapted itself to the road conditions to make the driving safer/easier on the brakes and much easier.

And a little extra benefit was that I averaged 17.5 MPG which was about 5 MPG higher than what I would normally get in the Armada w/the same load.
That's nice to hear you're happy with the way it performs. Good gas mileage too for towing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Long Distance Towing Report

Just got back from a 4 hour trip to Lake George, New York.

I towed a 21' Boat, which I estimate between 3.500 and 4,000 pounds, so I was very close to being at the max weight.

The towing was amazing. At 65, you did not even know you had a trailer behind you. It did struggle a little on the long climbs, but only because I did not want to let the motor rev at 3,500 rpm constantly, so I slowed down.

A few notes to consider.

1. The last shift (I think from 3rd to 4th) takes a long time to come, usually not until you were going 60 - 65.

2. If you really want to improve your mileage, turn off the "tow mode" going downhill, the RPMs drop to 1,500 or less.

3. The braking was flawless

4. I had NO PROBLEM pulling the boat out of the boat ramp.

5. Average Mileage was about 14.8 - 15.


JB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
I would guess you were over the 4500 limit with a 21' boat, trailer and the gear in it. For a very short and flat run this would be probably be okay, but for any distance it sure would not be recommended. Why would you want your revs down to 1600 going down hill? This isn't going to save you any fuel and might overheat your brakes. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
If your going down an Interstate hill you don't need your brakes and if your revs are 1500 at 70 mph you definitely get better mileage than if your revs were 3000 at 70 mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Re: Long Distance Towing Report

JB said:
1. The last shift (I think from 3rd to 4th) takes a long time to come, usually not until you were going 60 - 65.
The 5-6 happens at 65 mph in tow/haul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
So, it is using all 6 speeds in tow mode? I was not sure.

As for the weight, the boat is 2970, the trailer 800, so 3700. I always try to keep the gas tank empty when towing, so I am pretty sure I was under the max 4500.

As for the downhill, I try to keep off the brakes at all times, and just leave a lot of room in front of me.

Bottom line, very impressive vehicle for towing.

Of the last 3 vehicles I used to tow, a Durango, a Sequoia, and now the Acadia - the Durango was by far the best, but I feel the Acadia is a better tow vehicle than the Toyota was. In fact, the Toyota had lousy brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
JB,

You certainly know your boat better than I do so I'm not questioning what you have said. I also have a boat and when I weighed it I was surprised at how much more it weighed that what the factory had said. Mine was weighed ready to use with gear full of gas ect. It ended up being about 500 pounds heavier than what I thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Another nice feature if you have the tow button is that the rear park assist is automatically turned off in tow mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
firebird said:
Rear park assist doesn't function unless your in reverse anyway....right??
Yes. The point is that if you add a trailer hitch later instead of getting the factory trailering package, the rear park assist might be beeping at you (sensing your trailer) when backing up with your trailer attached. You don't really need it to do that, since you presumably already know you have a trailer back there....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
loach said:
firebird said:
Rear park assist doesn't function unless your in reverse anyway....right??
Yes. The point is that if you add a trailer hitch later instead of getting the factory trailering package, the rear park assist might be beeping at you (sensing your trailer) when backing up with your trailer attached. You don't really need it to do that, since you presumably already know you have a trailer back there....
You can add the trailer hitch later but the factory installed package is heavy duty which not only consist of the trailer hitch but also transmission oil cooler, wiring harness and a class III rating. For the small amount that GM charges it well worth getting the factory installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Just wonder if adding a traler hitch at a GMC dealer. Can they install a transmission cooler which includes in the trailer hitch package? How can I tell if the transmission is installed?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top