GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2003 Denali XL, which tows great and has great power. We are looking at the Acadia AWD to replace the Denali. With 2 small children and a 3rd on the way, we feels that the Acadia will meet our needs better. The Acadia has easier access to the 3rd row of seats and great cargo room. The interior is nicer then the Denali, better on gas, and will take up less room in the garage. My concern is the towing capacity. the Towing capacity goes from 2000 lbs to 4500 lbs with the tow package, what is GMC doing to the Acadia to increase the tow rating?

I have a Super Air Nautique Wakeboard Boat that weighs approx 3200lbs, and a tandom axle trailer 1000lbs with brakes. I only have a 8 mile trip to the lake, so I'm not too concerned, but I want to be able to pull it out of the water. If you have towed with the Acadia please reply.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I believe the towing package adds the Towing hitch, wiring harness and a larger/more substantial radiator for improved cooling ability. Not sure what else, if anything, is added or changed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I test drove the FWD SLT-2 today. I was very nice, sound and solid ride. I was very impressed, But at times it felt and sounded like a 6 cylinder. It handles nice in the corners, a lot better then the Denali,(It's much more like a car). It has Good visibility looking out the front window, but I noticed that the drivers leg room is a bit narrow. My wife road in the 2nd row and liked the ride and had plenty of room. It was easy for her to get into and out (considering that she is 5 months pregnant). I also found out that doesn't have the latch systems for child seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows. There are latches behind the seats, but not where the seatbelt connects or on the sides. The seatbelt has to be used for the child seats, but it was no problem getting the child seat in the 2nd and the 3rd rows, (I tried both).

I plan on ordering an Acadia soon, I got to sell my '03 Denali first. I still don't understand how GMC is pulling an extra 2500 lbs. of towing out of the Acadia by just improving the cooling and a hitch?...Confirm there is nothing different with the suspension or transmission? Seems like a major improvment in the towing capacity for doing nothing major to the vehicle.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Where did you see that without the tow package, that towing is limited to 2000 lbs? The manual makes no mention that you need the factory towing to be able to tow any more or less than the standard vehicle.

If I thought that towing would be in our future, we would get the tow package for the additional cooling. I wonder if there is a transmission cooler as well in that (as part of the cooling capacity). My Jeep had an accessory radiator, a HD alternator, and a transmission cooler as part of the tow package.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only place I've seen the 2000# reference is in the "Online Ordering Guide" for the Enclave (Standard Equipment Trailering Provisions, 2000 lbs. - 907 kg). The option RPO Code V92, Trailering Provision Package, 4500 lb includes; transmission cooler, wiring harness and factory installed hitch. I guess we could assume both chassis are similiar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you go to the GMC web site and compare the vehicles then click the demensions and capabilities (on the top of screen). it will show standard towing 2000 lbs and with tow package 4500 lbs..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding the towing capacity. I have a Regal 2400. With the trailer it weighs over 5500lbs. I keep it at my marina on a trailer. The Acadia has no problem putting it in and pulling it out. I've gone a few miles with the trailer to get gas, but not more than that. I take my time and don't over stress the drive train.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Towing was a big concern for me - that's why we chose Acadia over things like Equinox or Highlander.

I agree with russacadia. My boat + trailer is in the 3000 lb range. The boat ramp I use is pretty steep and the Acadia had no problems getting up the ramp. No spinning tires, no hesitation, no problem. I'm really pleased about that.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Were you driving an AWD or FWD?

Thx, Jim <><

·
Registered
102 Posts
crash2864 said:
I test drove the FWD SLT-2 today. I was very nice, sound and solid ride. I was very impressed, But at times it felt and sounded like a 6 cylinder. It handles nice in the corners, a lot better then the Denali,(It's much more like a car). It has Good visibility looking out the front window, but I noticed that the drivers leg room is a bit narrow. My wife road in the 2nd row and liked the ride and had plenty of room. It was easy for her to get into and out (considering that she is 5 months pregnant). I also found out that doesn't have the latch systems for child seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows. There are latches behind the seats, but not where the seatbelt connects or on the sides. The seatbelt has to be used for the child seats, but it was no problem getting the child seat in the 2nd and the 3rd rows, (I tried both).

I plan on ordering an Acadia soon, I got to sell my '03 Denali first. I still don't understand how GMC is pulling an extra 2500 lbs. of towing out of the Acadia by just improving the cooling and a hitch?...Confirm there is nothing different with the suspension or transmission? Seems like a major improvment in the towing capacity for doing nothing major to the vehicle.
Heads up... the Captain chairs in the 2nd row and the center position in the 3rd row do have FULL LATCH for children safety seats, it works fantastic. Since I see you now have a 2007 Acadia I am sure you found it but wanted to correct the issue if new interested buyers read this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The factory tow package also adds the "Tow/Haul" button which locks the transmission in a lower gear to prevent too much downshifting. I've got a ProStar 197 and while not quite as heavy as your SuperAir the Acadia pulls it around like nobody's business...almost as good as our Yukon. Ours didn't come with the factory tow package so I put my own hitch/harness on and haven't had any issues as of yet - temp stays right where it should. The one thing you will notice is that because the vehicle is unibody construction, the hitch amplifies all the little squeaks and noises into the cabin so towing will be a little more "noisy" than you're used to. But nothing too obnoxious.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got back from towing a 19 foot Four Winns Horizon from Detroit to Lake of the Ozarks, MO and back and was very pleased. It is FWD and had no issue at all. Tow weight was approximately 4000 lbs. MO is not flat and had no problem maintaining the speed I wanted to. Unfortunately mileage dropped from a norm of 23 MPG to 14 MPG when towing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm towing a 14 ft Hardtop weighing approx 3000lbs and no problems at all. However, gas mileage is clearly affected. Revving at 3000rpm on Tow mode on Hway most of the time and occasionaly at 2000RPM. Someone told me on Hway flat surfaces you can switch off Tow mode which would help fuel economy. I'm leaving on a trip Sunday and wondering if I should try this.

Any thoughts?

I've had my SLE AWD with tow pckge for just over a month now and just love it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm no expert on transmissions, but for our Yukon I was advised to take it out of "D" and use "3" to prevent burning up the 4th gear. That is your short gear/overdrive if you will, which gives you good highway mileage but will lug the engine and tranny down pulling a heavy load.

I would think this is a similar situation with the Acadia and the reason for "Tow/Haul" button. If it were me, I'd take the higher revs and less fuel economy than risk premature wear on the tranny. ???

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think if you are on the interstate at a steady pace, i don't see any problem with the tow mode off. If you get in the mountains or town, it will probably be better to go back to tow mode.
The way i look at it, the drivetrain has the 100k warranty and if it can't take it, they can replace/repair it. ;D

·
Registered
597 Posts
JLF said:
I think if you are on the interstate at a steady pace, i don't see any problem with the tow mode off. If you get in the mountains or town, it will probably be better to go back to tow mode.
The way i look at it, the drivetrain has the 100k warranty and if it can't take it, they can replace/repair it. ;D
I think that the Tow/Haul mode was developed for a reason, and not using it for what it was intended over an extended period is either looking for trouble (possibly), or just taking the care of your vehicle to a newer (lower) level. I used to tow many miles with a 3,000 lb. boat. When I'd come over a hill to the down side, or come to a stretch of hiway where it was a slight down grade, I'd shift to "D". There was no real load on the tranny and the rpm's & engine got a break. But, with a steady load, any wind or the slightest grade I'd be back into "3" quickly. Of course I'm driving a 2.8 liter V-6 with no power, but the principle is approx. the same.[/color]
IMHO[/color].

·
Registered
41 Posts
As long as your transmission is not hunting up and down through the gears you can shift into D with the tow/haul off without any stress for the transmission. If it starts to hunt then turn the tow/haul back on or manually shift it into a lower gear. Hunting gears or lugging the transmission cause extra heat to build up (not good) and the pump can't circulate the oil though the cooler fast enough to cool it down. So in this case it is better to let the engine rev higher and lug less, it's better for the motor and the trans. :cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
toyjunkie said:
As long as your transmission is not hunting up and down through the gears you can shift into D with the tow/haul off without any stress for the transmission. If it starts to hunt then turn the tow/haul back on or manually shift it into a lower gear. Hunting gears or lugging the transmission cause extra heat to build up (not good) and the pump can't circulate the oil though the cooler fast enough to cool it down. So in this case it is better to let the engine rev higher and lug less, it's better for the motor and the trans. :cheers:
Thanks, that's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
toyjunkie said:
I tow a 3500lbs TT with 07 AWD Outlook. I use the tow/haul button in heavy traffic and when I try to get to a campsite - hills, tight turns, etc. On a highway, I prefer to use the "manual" option on L - switch between 4th and 5th gear depending on terrain - can't user 6th unless go downhill, not enough torque and the trany will override (plus I don't really want to tow on 6th). I get way better mileage than with D and the tow/haul button on and can better control when to switch a gear as I can see what's in front of me. Do you guys think it is not good for the tranny to use manual shifting ?

J33
07 Outlook XR AWD with all options

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think that using the manual shifting is fine. I added the towing package to my SLE so I have to use the manual shifting and it is just like shifting my truck transmission into 4 instead of D. Shouldnt be any problems with that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts