GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 GMC Acadia SLT and I am trying to figure out what the towing capacity is??? There is so much info but no direct answer... I know I need to have the 3.6L V6 (Towing capacity 4,000lb) but not sure how to confirm that. Help:(

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
V92 trailer package and V6 = 4000#
Otherwise 1000#

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
I have a 2017 GMC Acadia SLT and I am trying to figure out what the towing capacity is??? There is so much info but no direct answer... I know I need to have the 3.6L V6 (Towing capacity 4,000lb) but not sure how to confirm that. Help:(
It's spelled out in the trailer towing section of your owners manual. If you don't have a copy of the manual, here's the online version: 2017 Acadia/Acadia Denali Owner’s Manual. Look on page 276.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
... not sure how to confirm that. Help:(
The vehicle's SPID label will have the V92 code on it if your Acadia has the trailering (towing) package option installed. See page 379 of the online manual for that label's location.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
As already stated, you need the V6 + V92 option. V92 includes a factory installed hitch. No hitch you most likely don't have V92. V92 will also have a tow/haul mode button.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
If you do not have the factory towing package . . . which would have the factory installed hitch, heavy duty cooling system, and more. . .. your towing capacity will not be 4,000lbs.
Even with the 3.6L engine. The towing package provides more cooling for transmission fluid as well as engine coolant and a higher capacity alternator for the charging system as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
An Acadia with the 3.6L engine and no V92 option is capable of towing the heavier weight, but you assume certain risks by doing so. An important consideration when weighing these risks is warranty coverage. Warranty will not pay for repair of any damage or breakdown caused by towing a trailer heavier than what the vehicle was originally built to tow. It doesn't matter if V92 equipment was added to the vehicle afterward, either. Warranty takes into account how the vehicle was equipped when it left the factory - easily confirmed by a VIN review. That applies to both factory 'new car' warranty and any aftermarket warranty you may have purchased.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently pulled a trailer with my 3.6 with V92 - 2018 Denali. I took it through a CAT scale out of curiosity. Knew I’d be close to GCWR.

Even with a trailer that was only 3100 dry / around 3200 with the water in tanks - I was within 200 pounds of max GCWR ! That was with 4 people aboard and some gear.

Be careful on GCWR limit of 8984 lbs.

There’s no way you can pull a 4000 lb trailer unless the vehicle is empty with just one driver aboard.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I recently pulled a trailer with my 3.6 with V92 - 2018 Denali. I took it through a CAT scale out of curiosity. Knew I’d be close to GCWR.

Even with a trailer that was only 3100 dry / around 3200 with the water in tanks - I was within 200 pounds of max GCWR ! That was with 4 people aboard and some gear.

Be careful on GCWR limit of 8984 lbs.

There’s no way you can pull a 4000 lb trailer unless the vehicle is empty with just one driver aboard.
I agree. I know of one owner who towed a horse trailer with two horses in it.
The large trailer likely was +1,200 lbs easy. So with the horses and some gear was close to or at max 4,000 or over. It did not tow or stop well.
The dealer warned them about it and then decided it was not safe to do so after that one trip.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Trailering livestock would be similar to pulling a partially filled tank without any baffles in it. That's not a really stable load and potentially unsafe, regardless of the tow vehicle!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I agree. I know of one owner who towed a horse trailer with two horses in it.
The large trailer likely was +1,200 lbs easy. So with the horses and some gear was close to or at max 4,000 or over. It did not tow or stop well.
The dealer warned them about it and then decided it was not safe to do so after that one trip.
I thought one of the "man rules" was that if you owned horses, you also had to own a full size pickup :)

Who in their right mind would think pulling a loaded horse trailer with an Acadia is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
I thought one of the "man rules" was that if you owned horses, you also had to own a full size pickup :)
Real horse-people have a 1-ton dually. 🤣

Reactions: divotdug

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Well. . . . the trailer was a dually :rolleyes: . . .. It was a bad idea. Not sure why they used the Acadia. They may have had a truck and needed it for something else that day? Who knows.
They also had a travel trailer. Not sure what size that was.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Tandem axles would hardly be a help to stabilize the trailer with a load prone to shifting while in motion.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
what was changed between 2016-17 to change the towing weights from 5000lbs to 4000 lbs on the same motor and tranny.
The basic vehicle platform. The Lambda platform of the 1st generation Acadia was larger and heavier than the C1XX platform of the 2nd generation. Also, the transmission was changed from the 6T75 to the 6T70. The 6T70 doesn't have the torque handling capability of the 6T75.

Reactions: quebec acadia
1 - 18 of 18 Posts