GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have read the postings about towing boats and the trailers associated with them, I was wondering if anyone has pulled a full size travel trailer with the Acadia. I understand that with the trailer package it helps the towing overall, however, how does it do towing 3500lb plus ? Please let me know. I pulled a trailer with our old 05 Yukon and it pulled great, went with the Acadia since it fit us better and hopefully it will pull good as well.

01-27-08 ~ STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY FEEDBACK...PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I believe frontal area of the trailer will be just as important as the weight. I think your Yukon would do much better due to a lot more torque and heavier platform. I have towed with my Acadia and it did fine, but the trailer was a bike trailer with no wind resistance and the total weight wasn't more than 2500 lbs. The Acadia is not a heavy duty hauler.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I pulled a 3500 lb enclosed motorcycle trailer last Summer thru the Smokies and it did ok. On flats it was a dream, but struggled a little going up the mountains. Even if tow mode it was always searching for correct gear, but that was also before the reflash on the tranny. Haven't trailered since the reflash.

·
Registered
956 Posts
foghorn said:
I pulled a 3500 lb enclosed motorcycle trailer last Summer thru the Smokies and it did ok. On flats it was a dream, but struggled a little going up the mountains. Even if tow mode it was always searching for correct gear, but that was also before the reflash on the tranny. Haven't trailered since the reflash.
Even though your trailer weighed 3500 lbs it still did not have the frontal area of a travel trailer. I think the Acadia would pull a travel trailer, but the question is how well and how durable would the drivetrain be? It's just not a heavy duty vehicle made to pull heavy weights. If your destination was 15 or 20 miles on flat ground I would say it probably be ok, but longer distances with hills and such, I doubt it would do very well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey not sure if you are still checking this but I just picked up a travel trailer this past weekend with intentions of towing it with our new 08 Acadia. So anyways its a 29 Foot Jayco Jay Flight, weighs 4450 lbs, now before you start flaming me yes I know thats a real heavy trailer, however I can tell you I was impressed with how it towed. Seemed to pick up and go just fine, only problems I noticed where keeping her up to speed on the highway when going up inclines. We have no intentions of going to far nor anywhere through any mountains etc. We live in Michigan and its pretty flat around here. Now if only I waited and got an 09 rated @ 5200 lbs towing capacity :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Creepdogg (is that the sibling of snoopdogg?),

As you probably know, the towing capacity (max recommended) for an '08 is 4,500 lbs. Once you begin adding the weight of food, water, supplies, etc. to your trailer - you'll be over the recommended limit. Then add the weight of passengers and gear in your Acadia and you're kind of pushin' the limits. Does your trailer have a weight distributing hitch set-up?

I'm not qualified to make any specific recommendation - other than to tow gently, leave yourself lots of room for stopping, don't push on the little hills, consider driving a bit under the speed limit where it's safe to do so (maintain good control of the load), and finally, HAVE A TON OF FUN. Michigan is beautiful. Born there, raised in CA.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
635 Posts
I thougt I read somewhere a long time ago that the 4500 pound limit in included anything you add to the vehicle as well, not just limited to what you are hauling. So whether the food and stuff is in the trailer or vehicle it does not matter, you have 4500 pounds above the empty weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 4500 lbs is for a trailer and anything in the trailer. The limit that will be exceeded is the Gross Combined Weight Rating(GCRW), which is the weight of everything, vehicle, passengers, luggage, hitch, trailer, and everything in the trailer. The limit for 08 is stated as 9500 lbs for FWD and 9700lbs for AWD. This will be easily exceeded for a trailer that has a dry weight of 4450 lbs., the Acadia weighs around 4700, so you're at 9150 before anything else. Hopefully, for your safety and others around you, you have a good brake controller.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heh, I knew I should have never posted that reply, everyone will have a field day with it. Yeah im related to snoop, hes my dad nah j/k, as for the trailer yeah I know that once you add this and add that its going to get heavy. I do have an excellent brake controller with a weight distribution hitch. But yes if we go on a trip there is no way im piling 7 people in the truck and towing the trailer. And while I understand everyones concerns we all know that the limits posted by a manufacturer are going to be on the conservative side, they count on people pushing these limits, so they will rate the tow capacity lower, now this doesnt mean im going to hitch up 7500 lbs to my truck though. Also on a side not the newer 5200 lb tow capacity, is it confirmed that the engine and drivetrain are the same and what is different is the hitch set up on the rear?

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
creepdogg said:
Heh, I knew I should have never posted that reply, everyone will have a field day with it. Yeah im related to snoop, hes my dad nah j/k, as for the trailer yeah I know that once you add this and add that its going to get heavy. I do have an excellent brake controller with a weight distribution hitch. But yes if we go on a trip there is no way im piling 7 people in the truck and towing the trailer. And while I understand everyones concerns we all know that the limits posted by a manufacturer are going to be on the conservative side, they count on people pushing these limits, so they will rate the tow capacity lower, now this doesnt mean im going to hitch up 7500 lbs to my truck though. Also on a side not the newer 5200 lb tow capacity, is it confirmed that the engine and drivetrain are the same and what is different is the hitch set up on the rear?

Thanks
Yeah, I jave also heard from people in the dealer network and it's just common sense that the factory rating will be on the conservative side for liability, but exercise caution. As for the hitch, the 08 & 09's both have 6 bolts, but we are not sure if they are bigger bolts or what. The drivetrain for 09' did receive a bump up to 288hp, and direct fuel injection. Good luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
alphadog1 said:
creepdogg said:

Thanks
Yeah, I jave also heard from people in the dealer network and it's just common sense that the factory rating will be on the conservative side for liability, but exercise caution. As for the hitch, the 08 & 09's both have 6 bolts, but we are not sure if they are bigger bolts or what. The drivetrain for 09' did receive a bump up to 288hp, and direct fuel injection. Good luck!
Alpha,

My 08 hitch has 8 bolts. The factory hitch uses 8 bolts while most aftermarket ones i have seen use 6. I would imagine the 09 uses 8 bolts as well. With the Acadia not having a frame to mount the hitch to those extra bolts help distribute the weight evenly along the unibody.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah im a little upset that now there is a larger engine with a greater tow capacity but thats real typical when you are an early adopter esp on a brand new platform.

·
Registered
156 Posts
creepdogg said:
Yeah im a little upset that now there is a larger engine with a greater tow capacity but thats real typical when you are an early adopter esp on a brand new platform.
Well, not a larger engine as it is still a 3.6 liter, but the new direct fuel injection bumped the horsepower up 13 to 288 and torque went up to 270lb ft. IMHO, I am a little suspicious that anything was changed in raising the towing capacity, now that we know that the 08's and 09's BOTH have the 8 bolts. I can't prove it, but with no more bolts on the hitch and if the hitch is the same as before, it is conceivable that GMC did further testing of the previous hitch and found that it could be rated higher (5200lbs)...Now, please dont jump me, it's just an opinion. With all the other money spent on the DI engine, bluetooth, wheel changes, and the cuts in other areas, it seems contradictory that they would have spent a substantial amount of money to get the higher tow rating...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have to agree with Alpha on this. Most tow rating changes have to do with gear ratio changes or with larger displacement engines. There are different class hitches that allow heavier loads but without changes in the drivetrain they alone do not allow for a greater tow rating.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I guess what I was trying to say was that maybe GMC's "validation" process involved attaching this stronger hitch to the 09' vehicle with the DI engine and testing it around the proving grounds with a heavier trailer on the back to check engine cooling, braking, handling inclines etc. If it did ok, maybe they gave it the green light to increase the towing to 5200lbs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
alphadog1 said:
creepdogg said:
Well, not a larger engine as it is still a 3.6 liter, but the new direct fuel injection bumped the horsepower up 13 to 288 and torque went up to 270lb ft. IMHO, I am a little suspicious that anything was changed in raising the towing capacity, now that we know that the 08's and 09's BOTH have the 8 bolts. I can't prove it, but with no more bolts on the hitch ....
Gentlemen,

I posted this once before in the thread w/ 5,200 lb. towing in the title, but here is the direct quote from a GM employee who I corresponded with - dated Sept. 15th, '08:[/color]

"In laymans terms, the cooling capacity has been increased, structure was added to the rear bumper and the tow hitch was modifed."

I don't feel that he was blowin' smoke, and he was pretty well-connected w/in GM. He also knew that the modifications were not going to be applied to the Enclave due to the grill restricting air flow - thus preventing sufficient add'l. cooling capacity.

Smooth [/color]<><

·
Registered
143 Posts
All this increase in towing capacity talk doesn't make sense when you look at the Gross Combined Weight Rating(GCWR). They did not increase it. So GCWR for FWD/AWD is 9500/9700 lbs less 4700/4900 lb curb weight equals max trailer weight of 4800lbs. This is the clarification I've been trying to get all along.

·
Registered
533 Posts
lewisra said:
the clarification I've been trying to get all along.
Well, when you receive the clarification from GM - do share your enlightenment!

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
30 Posts
lewisra said:
All this increase in towing capacity talk doesn't make sense when you look at the Gross Combined Weight Rating(GCWR). They did not increase it. So GCWR for FWD/AWD is 9500/9700 lbs less 4700/4900 lb curb weight equals max trailer weight of 4800lbs. This is the clarification I've been trying to get all along.
lewisra, I agree that at first glance the figures do not appear to support the claimed increased towing capacity. But, let's take another look at them. In the chart in which you got your GCWR figures, you will find the following entry:

Max towing capacity (lb / kg): 5,200 / 2364** , the footnote at the bottom of the page reads; **Interim ’09 MY change.

I believe this means when the Interim '09 MY change is in place, the GCWR figures will change. This will satisfy your point that the figures do not reconcile.
I am not a GMC expert but in my mind that is the only way you can reconcile the discrepancies. Give it another look.
BD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts