GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I am looking to buy a trailer for my business and looking to tow it with my GMC Acadia but I am having misfire issues with the transmission and I will be getting it fixed but I was wondering if people have had that issue with the Acadia. I am looking to tow it for my business I will just have some tools in it from hand tools to ladders and light things no material in the trailer. My question is what size trailer can I get to tow with it to be safe? I am looking at a 12 or 14 foot trailer but I am wondering what would be the best bet for my use of it? I will be under the capacity all the time I am tired of working out of my car and looking to change things up.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Do you have a GMC tow package? What is the rating?

·
Super Moderator
19,790 Posts
Length of the trailer doesn't matter as much as weight (both empty and loaded). A longer trailer is easier to maneuver, especially when backing it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Confused...
With the optional tow package I thought mine is 4000# rating.
Honestly, if I had to regularly tow anything with any non full frame vehicle, I'd install the best tow package available.
Better yet, and I've never owned a truck in my life, I think a truck with a tow package and a V8 should be in your future.
Just my opinion

·
Super Moderator
19,790 Posts
The rating is 5200 but I don't have the tow package
Check your owner's manual about that. The 2008-2016 Acadia w/o the tow (trailering) package was only rated for 2000 lbs. In 2017, Acadia w/o tow package rating was dropped to 1000 lbs.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Better yet, and I've never owned a truck in my life, I think a truck with a tow package and a V8 should be in your future.
Just my opinion
I agree. I know there are folks that tow with Acadia's but I don't think it makes a very good tow vehicle.

If I had a need to regularly tow, I would be using a GM/Ford/Toyota 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Confused...
With the optional tow package I thought mine is 4000# rating.
Honestly, if I had to regularly tow anything with any non full frame vehicle, I'd install the best tow package available.
Just my opinion
You have never owned a truck. You do own an Acadia do you not. In most states that is registered as a truck.

George

·
Super Moderator
19,790 Posts
really I would never see that because I never pulled a trailer before
A shorter trailer reacts more quickly to the slightest steering input when backing. That creates a tendency to jack-knife the rig if one's not paying close attention to it. Either of the lengths you discussed will be OK, though. Backing a trailer any shorter than that might be a hassle, especially for a rookie.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You have never owned a truck. You do own an Acadia do you not. In most states that is registered as a truck.
George
GMC dealer transfer/insurance paper calls it a 4 door station wagon.
Truck: "a large, heavy motor vehicle used for transporting goods, materials, or troops"
Station wagon: "a car with a longer body than usual, incorporating a large carrying area behind the seats and having an extra door at the rear for easy loading"
Regardless, I think you know my intent to the OP. If I had to tow a larger trailer daily for work it would not be behind anything but a full frame vehicle with a V8.

·
Super Moderator
19,790 Posts
... In most states that is registered as a truck.
Acadia is considered an 'M' class (multi-purpose) vehicle here - as are many other CUVs, SUVs, and mini-vans.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As noted below, with the trailer pkg my '17 is rated at 4,000. I can comfortably tow my 1,000 pound ATV on my 5 x 10 trailer anywhere and at any speed. In addition to the receiver and pre-wired electrical hook ups, the trailer pkg includes a transmission cooler - a must for heavy loads or long distance / high speed trailering. Simply putting a hitch on a vehicle does not make it a reliable tow vehicle. Sounds like you need to explore alternate solutions.

·
Registered
2011 Acadia Denali Summit White/Ebony leather
15 Posts
I am looking to buy a trailer for my business and looking to tow it with my GMC Acadia but I am having misfire issues with the transmission and I will be getting it fixed but I was wondering if people have had that issue with the Acadia. I am looking to tow it for my business I will just have some tools in it from hand tools to ladders and light things no material in the trailer. My question is what size trailer can I get to tow with it to be safe? I am looking at a 12 or 14 foot trailer but I am wondering what would be the best bet for my use of it? I will be under the capacity all the time I am tired of working out of my car and looking to change things up.
This is for 2011, others may be similar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it awd that may also make a difference which will tow 5200 but I would suggest single wheel up to 12’ but I believe 14’ is. 2 wheel trailer or 4 wheels

·
Registered
699 Posts
The rating is 5200 but I don't have the tow package
I don't know where you got that info. Per a couple dealership sites, and media.gmc.com, the 2020 is the same as the 17-19:
1000# max without tow package
4000# max with tow package and the V6
P.S. poppyjct; there is no mention of FWD or AWD

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wait... thgogetter2020... is your Acadia a 2020? I was assuming it was. Now I'm second guessing.

·
Super Moderator
19,790 Posts
Wait... thgogetter2020... is your Acadia a 2020? I was assuming it was. Now I'm second guessing.
From the first post, I was assuming it was an older Lambda-platform Acadia. The OP mentioned something about getting misfires and the trans fixed. Also, the mention about a 5200# towing capability in a later post kind of led that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts