GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2011 Acadia (AWD) with the heavy duty tow package, so it is rated to tow 5200lbs. I have a 17 foot 1978 Bayliner Mutiny 1700 . The boat with motor, gear, and trailer is about 2300lbs ( boat 1100lbs, motor 300lbs, trailer estimated at 700lbs, if full gas 110lbs ( 18 gallons) and light amount of gear.. So it is well within the limit. However the issue is the braking.

I see that the manual states the trailer should have brakes if carrying more than 1000lbs. However the trailer is rated for under 3000lbs so does not come with brakes (it is a 1991 Calkins trailer). Also, as it will be put in saltwater it is not recommended to use electric brakes. Surge Brakes could be added, but when reversing to launch the boat they wont be of any use.

The primary place I am launching the boat in Washington State, has a pretty steep grade. It has grooves in the cement to provide gripping. But my concern is that the weight of the trailer and boat will over power the brakes. I am not doing any great towing around of the boat as the places I would want to go are with 30 miles of each other. But in Washington State we have some steep grades in places and steep grade boat launches. So just wondering what other folks experiences have been and any suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
21,783 Posts
Welcome o the forum.

Review your state regs regarding trailer brakes and follow what they say you must do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
State says trailer with a gross load over 3000lbs must have brakes. But Acadia manual says for the SUV if the trailer has over 1000lbs it should have brakes.

·
Super Moderator
21,783 Posts
One is enforceable regulation. The other is manufacturer's recommendation. Based on specs you provided, the choice is yours as to what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Practice on section of ramp/parking lot/wherever you can find to test holding power. Test on area where you are not in any danger of going into water if test fails.

George

·
Super Moderator
21,783 Posts
... Surge Brakes could be added, but when reversing to launch the boat they wont be of any use. ...
TBH, electric trailer brakes would be of no use, either, once you remove your foot from the brake pedal.

Carry a set of wheel chocks. Four wheel chocks, the parking brake, and transmission in Park should be enough to hold the rig as you're unloading and loading the boat.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maybe not absolutely needed, but they would be extremely helpful in an "oh, $#!&" moment either on or off ramp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Practice is key in this situation. If you have a nice experience with boat hauling with a trailer then you can do it yourself other if you are doing it first then it is suggested that you can once look at companies for your boat moving.;););)

The added weight and length of a towed boat to your vehicle means that the amount of time needed to come to a complete stop is greatly increased

1 - 9 of 9 Posts