GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an Acadia without towing package. I have nothing to tow. I am looking at adding the bike or ski carrier some day. Wondering if anyone knows what would be needed to add this. Is the removable hitch cover on all bumpers or just those with the tow package? Is there a receiver there or do I need to have one installed? I think I still have time to add the towing package if this is all too complicated and expensive to do without the package. I did not need the extra cooler or electronics. Thought it might be easier and cheaper to just add what I need later. Maybe not?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would think if all you're intending to do is carry around a few bikes you're not taxing the engine anymore than if you had extra cargo in the back.

Up here the towing package is a $550 option. Well worth it if you ask me even if you never tow anything.

I installed a hitch on my VUE a few years ago. Considering it was just under $200 out the door for the hitch and about an hour of my time to install it, I'd say going factory is a good idea because you get the extra cooler.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I noticed that many of the Acadias in stock here in AZ had the towing option on them. I have no use for the hitch at all, but was wondering how beneficial the extra cooling would be during the AZ summers?

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can add the receiver/platform later. The part number is 15926187, and you will also need 8 bolts (part number 11515776)--around $150 for both from gmpartsdirect.com. I installed mine over the weekend, and it was relatively simple--about a half hour job. It fits like a glove. The only thing remotely difficult was that you have to unhook both mufflers to get access to install the platform--you just "unhook" the 2 rubber hangers on each muffler. You can also add wiring and a receptacle if you want to tow a trailer, although there have been some issues reported as another poster indicated. I have no clue where the wiring harness plugs in. Lastly, the platform does not come with the trailer hitch cover you described. I have e-mailed gmpartsdirect.com for the part number for the cover--I'll let you know what it is if I get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
azfun said:
I noticed that many of the Acadias in stock here in AZ had the towing option on them. I have no use for the hitch at all, but was wondering how beneficial the extra cooling would be during the AZ summers?
An additional transmission cooler would be helpful. Transmission fluid breaks down quickly when overheated. When you consider the AZ heat, hills, and a full load of passengers or gear, extra cooling for the transmission seems wise. If you are certain you will never tow, you can add an additional transmission cooler aftermarket for a lot less money than the tow package.

·
Registered
45 Posts
jcflorida said:
azfun said:
An additional transmission cooler would be helpful. Transmission fluid breaks down quickly when overheated. When you consider the AZ heat, hills, and a full load of passengers or gear, extra cooling for the transmission seems wise. If you are certain you will never tow, you can add an additional transmission cooler aftermarket for a lot less money than the tow package.
Thanks very much for the info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
one thing you get with the tow option that can't easily be added (?) would be the "Tow" button and it's effect. As someone said before" It gives the Acadia the transmission shift points that it should have !" It holds the gears longer before shifting .......sure you loose the gas mileage but it's alot more fun. I find driving around town that it's alot better with it engaged. I found this out one day when I accidently hit the Tow button and didn't notice it for a while.

You can achieve the same result from using the manual shift that they all have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts