GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be touring the Delta plant tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone wants me to ask any questions while I'm there? Do any of you have orders in for this week? I may be watching your Acadia come down the line!

I'll post an update after my tour tomorrow.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you don't mind, pass the word along the line that I love my '07 SLT-2, and that their good work is appreciated. And thanks for your kind offer. Should be an exciting tour! U.S. workers in a U.S. plant making U.S. products --inspirational (forgive my patriotism).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have fun... :blob: I drive by it every day going to and from work, and love seeing the different cars they put on display each week. I love my SLT2 08'. I did meet one of the guys who work on the line and he said that he thought they were a great vehicle, and that is one of the reason I got mine last fall.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the offer!

If you could, please tell them that there are lots of us who love our vehicles, and to keep their chin up through this rough time ... keep doing what they're doing, and we'll keep buying their vehicles!

Please let them know that we're all pulling for them - the Lambda vehicles are some of the nicest built anywhere by anyone!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
09Enclave said:
I will be touring the Delta plant tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone wants me to ask any questions while I'm there? Do any of you have orders in for this week? I may be watching your Acadia come down the line!

I'll post an update after my tour tomorrow.
:cheers: to what everyone else. How did you get this opprotunity?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bonk1313 said:
:cheers: to what everyone else. How did you get this opprotunity?
I happened to see a guy at church with a GM pin on, and asked where he worked. He works at the Delta plant, and got me in touch with someone that could organize for me (and wife, and a few buddies) to see the plant. Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I'm still trying to find out how many Acadia's were painted 78U, but you won't run into anyone that knows those answers

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
09Enclave said:
I happened to see a guy at church with a GM pin on, and asked where he worked. He works at the Delta plant, and got me in touch with someone that could organize for me (and wife, and a few buddies) to see the plant. Can't wait!
:clap2: :notworthy: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, I'll bite! :pickme: Could you please ask when the 2010's will be able to be ordered, when info will show up on their website, or the like? Yeh, I'm one eager gal :hyper:

Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
jsimms said:
I'm still trying to find out how many Acadia's were painted 78U, but you won't run into anyone that knows those answers
Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer to that one!

Not enough!

:clap:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dmurphy said:
Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer to that one!

Not enough!

:clap:
You're right, but the lower numbers means those of us that own one are in a class of our own; let's not forget Irish and the others are part of the group

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is the Escalade going to happen?

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is awesome I hope you like your tour. I get a glimpse of the Delta plant when I drive on I-96 on the way to my cabin up north. As a GM employee I can get family or friends a tour of a plant I work at. When I worked at Pole town (Detroit Hamtramic) I was able to arrange to give my old man a tour of the plant. I was able to arrange it so he could see me working on the line. My Dad really loved the tour. They took him into body shop and paint to see the robots work, and they took him up an down each line so he could see how the cars progress all the way to the end of the line. Anyway enjoy the tour.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Jeez! I coulda had a V8? :D

Plant the seed that since GM is going to have to kill that gas guzzling V8 Camaro, maybe some of the soon to be surplus motors could make their way into some Acadias! ::)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to the tour in just a little bit. Talk to you all after

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Jeez! I coulda had a V8? :D

Plant the seed that since GM is going to have to kill that gas guzzling V8 Camaro, maybe some of the soon to be surplus motors could make their way into some Acadias! ::)
Doubt that will happen. The Camaro will always be a V8 as long as it's aroung, but having a V8 in the Lambdas....not sure, except for the Cadillac. I'll ask about the Escalade, but I'm guessing these folks that build the cars don't know that information.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
No need... just my lame attempt at some automotive humor.

:lame: :)

Enjoy the trip, and good job on the networking!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tour was AWESOME!!!! We got so close to the cars being built, you would not believe. They are building 2010's now, so any of you that have orders for today's build date...I SAW THEM!!!! They were doing a great job assembling all aspects of the vehicles, they have so many neat ways to make sure every vehicle gets the proper build quality. We were even allowed to cross the "skillet" moving assembly floor, and were an arm's length from the vehicles. We were only about 3 to 4 feet away from the vehicles most the time during the tour. We did not tour the paint process, our tour started at the time the vehicles were already painted, but no insides, no chassis, no trim. Then we walked down and saw most the assembly stations. It's a very clean, safe environment for the workers, and all seemed to be enjoying what they did, and any that were pulled aside to talk to our group seemed to be up beat and very positive. Believe me when I say, this plant will NOT close, there's NO way this up to date, state of the art facility would ever close. Especially when the Traverse will come there soon. Couldn't see that much different from the 2009's, but I noticed the new interior cashmere color on the Acadias. Looks like the Enclave CX models don't have CX emblems, only the CXL's...so maybe a little cost cutting there. The colors looked the same. (back a while ago, there was mention of the Silver Green color going away for 2010, but it sure looked the same as ours), so not sure if it's just named different, and perhaps just a little different in shade, but from what I could notice...looked the same. There's a spot where they test all the moving parts of the vehicle, and rattle tests, putting it thru rumble strips in the floor. They even test the transmissions, putting them in park while the vehicle is moving, and they make this clicking sound, until they are just about stopped, then stop abrutly. It didn't sound right at first, then the guy explained what they were doing. So, just know...if you put your transmission in park while it's moving, it won't hurt it, it has a safety thing that keeps the vehicle moving, but just has a loud clicking sound.

I could go on and on...but I'll let you all ask me any specific questions.

Any questions?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Sounds like it was a great experience. I'm just a little envious. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Good recap! At least you didn't ask them if everyone drove a GM product while in the parking lot with a Jeep behind you (Fox news story when a reporter went to the plant). :)

That will be great news for our member wanting the 2010 model.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
09Enclave said:
Tour was AWESOME!!!! We got so close to the cars being built, you would not believe. They are building 2010's now, so any of you that have orders for today's build date...I SAW THEM!!!! They were doing a great job assembling all aspects of the vehicles, they have so many neat ways to make sure every vehicle gets the proper build quality. We were even allowed to cross the "skillet" moving assembly floor, and were an arm's length from the vehicles. We were only about 3 to 4 feet away from the vehicles most the time during the tour. We did not tour the paint process, our tour started at the time the vehicles were already painted, but no insides, no chassis, no trim. Then we walked down and saw most the assembly stations. It's a very clean, safe environment for the workers, and all seemed to be enjoying what they did, and any that were pulled aside to talk to our group seemed to be up beat and very positive. Believe me when I say, this plant will NOT close, there's NO way this up to date, state of the art facility would ever close. Especially when the Traverse will come there soon. Couldn't see that much different from the 2009's, but I noticed the new interior cashmere color on the Acadias. Looks like the Enclave CX models don't have CX emblems, only the CXL's...so maybe a little cost cutting there. The colors looked the same. (back a while ago, there was mention of the Silver Green color going away for 2010, but it sure looked the same as ours), so not sure if it's just named different, and perhaps just a little different in shade, but from what I could notice...looked the same. There's a spot where they test all the moving parts of the vehicle, and rattle tests, putting it thru rumble strips in the floor. They even test the transmissions, putting them in park while the vehicle is moving, and they make this clicking sound, until they are just about stopped, then stop abrutly. It didn't sound right at first, then the guy explained what they were doing. So, just know...if you put your transmission in park while it's moving, it won't hurt it, it has a safety thing that keeps the vehicle moving, but just has a loud clicking sound.

I could go on and on...but I'll let you all ask me any specific questions.

Any questions?
I don't suppose you took any pics?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts