GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently bought a used 2017 GMC Acadia and of course the day I drove it off the lot I had my first problem. The touch screen specifically in the middle of the screen has a mind of its own. I'll be driving and it will just start clicking stuff and when it starts doing that I can't press anything in the middle of the screen either. If anyone has any ideas of what I should do.

and obviously the dealer I bought it from won't do anything for me.

thank you

Paris

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
Take the vehicle to a GM dealer. Have them assess the problem and provide an estimate to you. Then, go back to the selling dealer and negotiate a solution.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Certain used car sellers offer limited return windows, things like 3 days/1,000 miles and the like. If your seller has one, it might be worthwhile to try to invoke a return before proceeding beyond the potential parameters.

If not, you could try disconnecting the battery for a bit. That should reset the computers and electronics, potentially wiping away any software bugs once you reconnect .

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sounds like an actual screen issue, like a heavily used (or damaged) tablet or cell screen going bad. Just my 2 cents. The battery disconnect may work, but makes me paranoid with new cars... still, that's probably where I'd start.

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
Sounds like an actual screen issue, like a heavily used (or damaged) tablet or cell screen going bad. ...
+1 Many users are screen "tappers" instead of "touchers." Over time, the touch screen can go bad by constantly tapping on specific icons.

Disconnecting the battery in attempt to resolve this issue may not be the wisest thing to do on the C1XX platform vehicles. I've been reading a lot about other problems induced by doing so. Be prepared to reset vehicle personalization features at a minimum. Disconnecting the battery will likely revert some things back to factory default.

It could be better to locate the 'Infotainment' fuse, pull it out, wait about 15 seconds, and reinstall the fuse. The Infotainment touch screen communicates to the BCM via an HMI (human-machine interface) module. If you can locate the HMI module fuse, follow the fuse pulling procedure for that, too. See the owners manual for fuse box/socket assignments.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just recently bought a used 2017 GMC Acadia and of course the day I drove it off the lot I had my first problem. The touch screen specifically in the middle of the screen has a mind of its own. I'll be driving and it will just start clicking stuff and when it starts doing that I can't press anything in the middle of the screen either. If anyone has any ideas of what I should do.

thank you

Paris
did you find a solution for this? i have the same problem on the same vehicle, there are no spare parts due to the chips problem. i will probably just take to a technician, but i was wondering if you found a solution for this. thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
NOt sure what model year you have.
But search through the list of "blank" or black screen issues using the search box like below:
Search results for query: touch screen black
It's a '17 Acadia Denali. It's not blank or black. After about 5 minutes of the car running, the touch functions no longer work and I have to use the navigation knob and buttons below the screen.

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
It's a '17 Acadia Denali. ...
I added it to your profile signature. Wish all the noobs would do that when registering for the forum. No one would have to repeatedly ask about the vehicle each time a problem is posted to the forum.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
It's a '17 Acadia Denali. It's not blank or black. After about 5 minutes of the car running, the touch functions no longer work and I have to use the navigation knob and buttons below the screen.
Ok. . thanks for the added info. Then maybe pry the bezel off around the screen and check the connectors to it and the cable ends going down to the control module behind the glove box.
Otherwise, perhaps the screen has some cold solder joints or components that are failing.
Maybe do a Youtube search for terms like the ones below:

youtube GMC Acadia touch screen problem - Google Search

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I have the same problem on my 2017 GMC Acadia which started, of course, after the warranty ended. Initially the middle section of the touchscreen wasn't working. Then it progressed to scrolling thru radio stations or, if i am listening to my phone music, scrolling thru that. It not only changes what's displayed on the touch screen, but also I like to keep my speedometer displayed behind the steering wheel, and when it changes the radio, it also changes to the radio information displaying there instead of my speed. Now if my phone is connected, it has started scrolling thru my recent calls and placing phone calls. I'm having to explain that my car is possessed and that's the reason for the call.

·
Registered
3 Posts

thank you

Paris
I am having the same issues. Took it to a dealership and they are quoting $859 to replace the screen. Did you get this repaired? If so, what did they tell you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I have the same problem on my 2017 GMC Acadia which started, of course, after the warranty ended. Initially the middle section of the touchscreen wasn't working. Then it progressed to scrolling thru radio stations or, if i am listening to my phone music, scrolling thru that. It not only changes what's displayed on the touch screen, but also I like to keep my speedometer displayed behind the steering wheel, and when it changes the radio, it also changes to the radio information displaying there instead of my speed. Now if my phone is connected, it has started scrolling thru my recent calls and placing phone calls. I'm having to explain that my car is possessed and that's the reason for the call.
Too funny. I tell people the same thing. Fortunately, I have not had my car making calls or going thru my logs, but has put my calls on hold. It is extremely frustrating. The dealership is quoting $859 to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Too funny. I tell people the same thing. Fortunately, I have not had my car making calls or going thru my logs, but has put my calls on hold. It is extremely frustrating. The dealership is quoting $859 to replace it.
I have not gotten it fixed yet. I watched some YouTube videos about the issue and one guy says he fixed his, but we haven’t tried his solution yet. Mine has actually been acting right for the past week or so and I’m hoping it fixed itself somehow. A honda repair guy I was talking to while they worked on our other vehicle told me to go to a car audio type shop and have them put in an aftermarket non GMC screen for a lot less money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not gotten it fixed yet. I watched some YouTube videos about the issue and one guy says he fixed his, but we haven’t tried his solution yet. Mine has actually been acting right for the past week or so and I’m hoping it fixed itself somehow. A honda repair guy I was talking to while they worked on our other vehicle told me to go to a car audio type shop and have them put in an aftermarket non GMC screen for a lot less money.
I will have to look into that. To buy a new display unit is half of what they are quoting me at the dealership. Granted they also charge for the labor but I can't think to spend $859+ and they aren't even 100% sure that is the problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts