GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving our 2008 Acadia and had total transmission failure, 2500 miles on the car. She was driving along, "check engine" light came on and tranny failed. She tried to accelerate and only RPMs went up. Slowly limped it into a parking lot. A very dangerous situation. Called my service manager and got Roadside Assistance to tow it to the dealership where I bought it.

First.....lost all gears except 1st. No reverse either.

Service manager called yesterday and said they have no idea what is wrong. Said they contacted their tech support and still no answers. They checked the "ball something or another" but it seems to be working fine. They removed the tranny yesterday and are going to break it down and go thru it. As of this moment they have had it 4 days and are no closer to finding out what happened.

Ironically, I recieved my recall notice for the tranny flash the morning of the failure. They say it is not related to the flash update.

All I can say is I am glad it did not happen on the freeway at 70 mph and I am glad it didn't happen when she was entering an intersection. Our 7 month old grand daughter was in the car at the time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your situation, glad nobody was hurt. Let us know what you find out, good luck. Erik

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad that no one was hurt... Transmission flash recall on a 2008..? Was this fixed for the 2008 models..?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems and glad no one was hurt.

SpoiledK said:
Glad that no one was hurt... Transmission flash recall on a 2008..? Was this fixed for the 2008 models..?
The tranny update was released sometime after 08s started coming off the line. So some of the early 08s needed the tranny flash to get them up-to-date. At some point, they made the switch on the manufacturing line so that 08s came from the factory with the latest updates already on them. I'd like to say it was sometime in September when that happened, but I'm sure my memory is failing me and I'm too lazy to search for it right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...here's the update. The "ball body," which apparently is the computer brains for the transmission and operates some solenoids, checked out good, but they decided to replace it anyway. They broke down the tranny and decided the issue was the failure of a series of seals, causing the tranny not to hold pressure. They are replacing all the seals in the tranny. If all goes well, they say it will be better than new. I should get it back either Saturday or Monday. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Please do, and I have to thank all of you for getting the bugs out
for my late 2009 acadia, when I get it.
THANKS!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Please do, and I have to thank all of you for getting the bugs out
for my late 2009 acadia, when I get it.
THANKS!!!
It's all part of the service! (just wait until you get our bill though)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, they called yesterday and said the tranny is all back together and it all checks out well on the computer. They "cold" started it today and test drove it. They are reporting it to be as "good as new." Now that's a scary thought since it died while relatively new. I guess that means I have another 2500 miles before it tanks on me again. Keep your fingers crossed, ya'll. Picking it up it 15 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, here's what they did. They replaced the valve control solenoid and reprogrammed module, no difference in symptoms. Opened transmission. Found reverse input gear broken at shell causing no reverse and loss of high gears. Replaced reverse reaction sun gear/shell and damaged thrust bearing. Relearn fast adapts.

Sounds to me it was more than just replacing seals!

·
Registered
812 Posts
was there any prior symptoms before the tranny failure? clanking noise? loss of pressure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My early 2007 Acadia would not go into reverse when I tried to back out of garage in AM. They tried several things like you described and finally got back today. They placed a new transmission in the car. I'll let you know what happens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts