GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a noise from the front of my torque tube where the half shaft attached. Its internal right behind the yoke. I jacked my car up and ran it in drive to confirm. Its chattering from right there gets louder if I accelerate it. question is, is this something you can replace or do I have to get a new torque tube assembly? is the torque tube assumbly hard to replace? I have plenty of mechanical experience.

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
vr4rhoads said:
... question is, is this something you can replace or do I have to get a new torque tube assembly? is the torque tube assumbly hard to replace? I have plenty of mechanical experience.
None of us can replace anything for you. We're all just too far away. Plus, it's hard to slide a wrench through this broadband connection.

Seems the tube may not be rebuildable and should be replaced. Hard is relative to your experience level. You be the judge of that. Look through the forum for the service manual download. Instruction for the work should be in there. Here's a diagram and parts list showing what you're up against.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/products/GMC/ACADIA/TUBE-Propeller/2791198/15839524.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I meant is it something I can replace. The torque tube looks easy to replace as a whole assembly. But I can't find a part number for a bearing so I imagine it's the whole housing. I can fix most stuff as I am an aircraft mechanic just need a part number and whether it's even possible to start with. But like you pointed out it doesn't seem that's the case unfortunately . Thank you very much for the fast response!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I'm gonna pull mine completely apart and see what I can do. Maybe I can get lucky and have my machinist make me a bearing or something. If not maybe I can just switch my internal parts into a new housing

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
vr4rhoads said:
Think I'm gonna pull mine completely apart and see what I can do. Maybe I can get lucky and have my machinist make me a bearing or something. If not maybe I can just switch my internal parts into a new housing
Check out these folks - http://www.northlanddriveshaft.com/ - they might be able to help you. Seems they have the knowhow and parts to refurbish Acadia torque tubes. I found them in a google search for "GMC Acadia torque tube manufacturer."

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well just found a used torque tube for 170 bucks with 81k miles on it. With a six month warranty. At 170 dollars totally worth it and free shipping on eBay. My car has 127k on it so it should work great!

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
vr4rhoads said:
Well just found a used torque tube for 170 bucks with 81k miles on it. With a six month warranty. At 170 dollars totally worth it and free shipping on eBay. My car has 127k on it so it should work great!
thats a great find!!!!

cant beat that.
and it will be even better- if it corrects the issue.

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow, if you actually do end up replacing it, I hope you can find a used one somewhere, they cost a fortune new from GM!

Based on just looking under the vehicle, it doesn't look too hard to replace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I found a used one. Part gets here Monday. Went a head and got new boots for where it connects to the half shaft they are 1.5 x 10m x30 mm metric bolts. They don't have the bolts in the job anywhere. Looks like it's a few bolts to remove the part got a new seal as well. Find out more monday

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
vr4rhoads said:
Yes I found a used one. Part gets here Monday. ...
Here's hoping you don't get burned. :cheers: Frankly, the rebuilt option seemed more attractive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeahhh I got it on eBay so worst that happens is the parts bad and I'll tell eBay and they give me back my money. It'll work out I'm sure

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, got the part in yesterday. Installed it in three hours (I had to take it back off once) basically the hardest part is getting the torque tube to actually separate
from the actual rear diff. After undoing all the bolts (11 total) it wouldnt separate at all. ended up getting a pretty solid metal scrapper and wedging it inbetween the seal
and torque tube, then I just tapped a screw driver in and then used a car jack to apply upward pressure. this put pressure on the screwdriver and split the seal right afterwards.
It was pretty easy after that. anyways I just cleaned off all the old gasket material put a new one on and greased the spline before installing the tube. easy as pie.

The one thing thats giving me problems! I broke a clip off a connector that goes to the clutch control module that mounts on top. which is ok cause i can just change the connector
except gm doesnt carry them so asked about the entire wire harness then and of course they dont have or make them anymore. So I asked what they would do if I brought this in to get
fixed then and he just said I dont know. anyways just added one small drop of super glue to the side of the connector where it wouldnt interfere with the weather seal.
Worked like a champ no problems at all.

I will say one amusing thing from this was talking to GM. I gave them my vin number and the guy insisted I didnt have an AWD acadia. He literally asked me three times if I had a drive shaft that goes to the rear diff.
I told him over and over yes its AWD, Yes is has a drive shaft a half shaft and a torque tube. finally he just said hum I didnt know acadia's came AWD. come on man really?!

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
Glad to hear that. Is your original problem solved? Good job on the work around with the broken clip, BTW. :thumb:

vr4rhoads said:
I will say one amusing thing from this was talking to GM. I gave them my vin number and the guy insisted I didnt have an AWD acadia. He literally asked me three times if I had a drive shaft that goes to the rear diff. I told him over and over yes its AWD, Yes is has a drive shaft a half shaft and a torque tube. finally he just said hum I didnt know acadia's came AWD. come on man really?!
Something like this happened to another member a while ago, too. :facepalm:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes solved the problem, the old torque tube has so much grinding in the bearing. Its pretty bad you turn the yoke by hand and hear it pretty loudly. Glad to be done with it!

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
Did you ever take the old bearing out and get a number off it?
Search the 'net for "GMC Acadia torque tube manufacturer" and contact one of the suppliers which show up in the results. Maybe their tech support people will help you find that info. Sorry to say the link I previously posted no longer works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I couldn't come up with anything using that search criteria.
Today I took the torque tube out of a Chevy Equinox. The tube is much shorter, but for the $30 I paid for it, it's worth a gamble the bearings are the same. I'll be sure and post the results with pictures.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts