GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the GM specified torque for the oil drain plug?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I know you want the torque for the oil drain plug, but I highly doubt that even the dealer torques the drain plug so you should be able to just tighten it like you do every other drain plug.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't change oil often, and it's been some time since I have.
How far past contact (1/8,1/4,1/2, or one full) would you turn
the drain plug?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Copperhead,
I haven't changed oil on my Acadia yet, but if the plug is anything like my truck you can't turn it much past initial contact.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Officially its 18 lb ft., but I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench on the drain plug. ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
THis plug was mentioned in another thread. http://www.qwikvalve.com/

I'm going to order one, with my past car - an expedition I was able to slide under the car without using ramps. With the new car, I barely fit under the car, this would work out well not having to bring a wrench with me.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did my first oil change.

Couple of things that may help.
Oil drain plug is 15mm (2009)
Tried the "cap" type oil filter wrench,
and it was actually slipping on the filter.
The factory oil filter was either way too tight,
or didn't receive any oil on the seal/rubber gasket.

Can anyone recommend a good oil filter wrench for the PF48 filter?

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
You're probably best off with the cap style wrench, although a strap wrench would work too. If there is a little too much "slop" with the cap wrench, try lining it with a piece of paper towel...that should give you a tight enough fit to get the filter off.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Did my first oil change.

Couple of things that may help.
Tried the "cap" type oil filter wrench,
and it was actually slipping on the filter.

Can anyone recommend a good oil filter wrench for the PF48 filter?

Thanks
You just need a different sized cap style wrench. I will check out the size I use on our Enclave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've always used the German torque spec: "gudentighten" :)

As to the oil filter, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the factory oil filter to be way too tight or without oil on the gasket. My first oil change was an absolute nightmare. My cap wrench wouldn't fit tight, and my strap wrench actually crushed the filter without budging it. In desperation, finally resorted to stabbing the filter with a large screwdriver (twice), which of course resulted in oil running out everywhere. Even then, it was all I could do to turn the filter. It must have really messed me up mentally, because after installing a new filter, I then proceeded to pour in 5 quarts of Mobil 1, having forgotten to install the drain plug! I realized what I had done while I was pouring in the 5th quart, and looked under the car to find my oil catch pan overflowing and a puddle about half the size of the car. Talk about bonehead mistakes - and with expensive oil to boot! I've been changing my own oil for years, and this only time I've ever done this. BTW, 25 lbs of kitty litter did a pretty good job of soaking up most of the oil.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GeoHawk said:
Officially its 18 lb ft., but I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench on the drain plug. ;D
If I want to convert this to lbs inches, I would just multiply by 12 correct?

18 lbs feet X 12inches/foot = 216 lbs inches ?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I found my own answer!

I know, stupid question! :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Ok I found my own answer!

I know, stupid question! :eek:hno:
So we settled on 216 in/lbs; I need to invest in a torque wrench

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know the GM specified torque for the oil drain plug?
The drain plugs on newer vehicles have a gasket on them. If you just tighten it like any old oaf you have a high risk of ruining the gasket on the drain plug. It may last for one or two oil changes but it will eventually wear out and leak. The torque specs are between 18 and 20 foot pounds for a GMC or Chevy. 2012 Acadia or traverse.
I learned this the hard way letting my wife take the car to a quick oil change service & after 2 oil changes they ruined the drain plug gasket. After talking to a mechanic friend of mine I realized that there was a torque spec that had to be followed or you would ruin the gasket on the plug. It's not fun to have a newly sealed driveway and find oil dripping on it because the monkey who tightened the plug over tightened it. Don't ever just guess. Do it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You just need a different sized cap style wrench. I will check out the size I use on our Enclave.
I use a Pittsburgh universal 3 jaw adjustable oil filter wrench I bought at harbor freight for just a few dollars. It works great and it adjusts from 2 1/2 to 3 7/8 in diameter. Use a wrench, do not use a drill with a socket adapter or it will slip. Slower is better in this instance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replace the rubber gasket on the drain plug with every oil change. Advance Auto sells nylon gaskets, which have always leaked for me, so I buy the oil and filter at Advance, then derive another block and pick up the gaskets at O'Rielly. No more drippy drips from the drain plug.

·
Super Moderator
18,836 Posts
Maybe I should order some drain plug gaskets. What gaskets do you guys recommend do you have a part number?
Go to the site for you favorite parts supplier, plug in your vehicle's information, and look for "oil pan drain plug seal" to find them. They're very generic nylon, or neoprene seals. You can likely find them where you buy your oil.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts