GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed oil in the Acadia last month, noticed that there was transmission fluid leaking from somewhere. We notified the dealer, took it to them, they looked, couldn't I.D. where the leak was, put in a dye. We took it on a short trip then took it back over to the dealer, they kept it for 3 days. They called the other day, found out the torque converter seal was leaking, they (GMC) have had several issues with the seals, so it may be something for others to keep an eye on for leaks.

canyon76

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm visiting from the Enclave forum and I noticed this post. We just had our 08 Enclave diagnosed with a torque converter seal leak. It will be going into the shop next week for the repair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alot of Cadillacs with the 3.6s have the same problem with the torque converter seal, but the Lambdas, Equinox Sport, Torrent GXP, and suzuki xl7 those all have the 3.6s they have a common fwd intermediate (inner) shaft seal. Theres a TSB for it, ref# 08-04-21-002.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure this is what they fixed on my Acadia last November. I had it in for a different reason and they noticed the leak, so they replaced the seal. But it leaked again before even leaving the shop, so they replaced it again. I've had it in several times since then and no one has mentioned anything to me about it leaking anymore, so I assume that it is not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I noticed oil in my driveway and brought the truck into the dealer for that and other things (non functional heated windsheild fluid, wiper recall, seat belt positioner, etc. ) I was told i needed the torque coverter seal replaced. I have no idea how competent my dealer service dept is and i am not optimistic that they will get it right.

I am now waiting for them to call me to bring the truck in since the parts are on order.

I also experience a vibration between 62-70 mph - I plan to bring this up when i bring it back - maybe the torque converter is the root of the problem - fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
A leak and a vibration; I think your service department is on track

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I brought the truck in on Tuesday to take care of the Torque Converter Seal leak and other minor items, and it is turning a bit scary...

My Service Tech (Who does not give me the warm and comfortable) told me:

Tuesday: They Replaced the Torque Converter Seal but need to finish the job on Wednesday AM.

Wednesday: Completed reassembly of the tranny to discover that the second seal failed when they "pressure tested it". A new seal was ordered to be installed Thursday.

Thursday: Just found out that the new seal is holding, but that "Top Case" on the tranny is leaking / porous!?! They are ordering a new case. Hopefully to be installed tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the "Top Case" of the tranny is a relatively simple replacement and that the complete disassembly of the tranny is not required? Does anyone have an exploded view of the transmission showing its location?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ours just had the seal replaced last week-30K on an '08 Acadia. They found the leak while fixing something else on the vehcile.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mrvids said:
Ours just had the seal replaced last week-30K on an '08 Acadia. They found the leak while fixing something else on the vehcile.
So these leaks are actually seeps from the trans; I haven't heard anyone comment on seeing fluid on the ground

·
Registered
614 Posts
I found no puddles on the garage floor. I was told the leak will appear on the bottom of the torque converter cover, or the piece the connects the engine & transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
mrvids said:
That's exactly how it happened when they replaced mine. I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
That is presumably covered by the 100K warranty since it's really part of the power train. Anyone think otherwise?

·
Registered
35 Posts
mikemu said:
That is presumably covered by the 100K warranty since it's really part of the power train. Anyone think otherwise?
Yup, fully covered.

While in the shop I had them fix the heated washer fluid unit, seatbelt positioner clip, and vibration while braking ( need to resurface all rotors), all covered under warranty as well.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mrvids said:
I found no puddles on the garage floor. I was told the leak will appear on the bottom of the torque converter cover, or the piece the connects the engine & transmission.
May be time to get under the Acadia for a looksee

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I'm with you on that Jsimms. Will have a look this weekend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am picking up my car today, 8 days after dropping it off. It turns out the effort to replace the tranny's "top cover" is a 15 man hour procedure.

They also told me that my Onstar unit was blown - They thought I brought it in like that, but conceeded that they could have blown it when reconnecting the battery. So i need to bring it back once the part comes in.

I will be finding a new dealership for warrenty service, I can't trust this place any more.

I am hoping they did not mess anything else up.... fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
iscifi said:
I am picking up my car today, 8 days after dropping it off. It turns out the effort to replace the tranny's "top cover" is a 15 man hour procedure.

They also told me that my Onstar unit was blown - They thought I brought it in like that, but conceeded that they could have blown it when reconnecting the battery. So i need to bring it back once the part comes in.

I will be finding a new dealership for warrenty service, I can't trust this place any more.

I am hoping they did not mess anything else up.... fingers crossed.
Yeah I would find someone else..................15 man hour's doesn't exactly equal 8 days unless they waited 7 days for the part

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
iscifi said:
Does anyone have an exploded view of the transmission showing its location?
I know some folks who will explode an Acadia for you and provide you with an approximate location of the transmission afterward.
WaHoo :hot:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts