GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody consider the Outlook while shopping? What made you buy the Acadia?

I am shopping now, and I am torn. I am looking for the base level AWD for each, with the only added option, the DVD player.

With that, the pricing is almost identical. The only difference is the Acadia has foglamps and a roof rack. I need a roof rack, so I was adding in the preferred package for the Outlook.

So, what's so much better about the Acadia?

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
362 Posts
We look (and drove) both.

We went with the Acadia for 3 major reasons

1. We wanted the HUD. Not available on the Outlook.
2. We liked both the interior and exterior of the Acadia better (no woodgrain, please!)
3. This is just my personal feeling but I couldn't wrap my mind around dropping $40k on a Saturn.

·
Registered
677 Posts
We test drove both and went with the outlook for these reasons.

Outlook had more of a car upscale feel then the Acadia. Wife thought the acadia was too trucky
The saturn no haggle is a load of crap and we got our price lowered

and to the other posters point, i didnt have an issue spending 40k on a saturn when i know it is the same truck as the buick or the acadia

·
Registered
812 Posts
the rear end of the Outlook actually is much nicer than that of the Acadia and so is the ride much more carlike, the Acadia front end is the deal winner and so is it's available standard options and when you factor in the expense you have to pay to option out the Outlook you will find out its a bit more expensive than the Acadia.

·
Registered
362 Posts
compnurd said:
and to the other posters point, i didnt have an issue spending 40k on a saturn when i know it is the same truck as the buick or the acadia
Logically, you are correct. I know it's my personal bias. I've talked with other people (including Saturn owners) and they understood the sentiment. The Outlook is a beautiful rig.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was in the same dilema. I liked the Outllok exterior styling a bit more than the Acadia. Like the other poster, I cannot stand wood interior (though I kinda liked it in the Saturn). A real odd thing on the Outllok that I hated was the yellow dash lighting. I have no bias against Saturn. They are all GM vehicles built by the same people in the same plant so whats the difference? Below are the main reasons for going with the GMC.

1) Interior styling
2) HUD option
3) Slight edge in overall appearance
4) Much cheaper than Saturn as I could apply GM card earnings (Outlook XR was about $40,000) I paid $31,500 for an SLT FWD after taking conquest cash $1,000 bonus cash and $3700 GM card earnings)
5) GMC wanted my biz. Saturn dealer did nothing to get me into the car and the store was often not even open when it was supposed to be. Overall a poor experience with Saturn dealer and figured service would be equally unrelaible.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Positives for the Acadia vs. Outlook:
  • Available Heads up display
  • Available Rear tailgate stereo control buttons
  • Available Bose stereo

The only possible negative to an Acadia is for those (like me) sensitive to bright sunlight. The dashboard of the Acadia has lots of chrome - catching sunlight on a bright day and sending it your eye nonstop.

The Outlook can be configured with one tailpipe -- generating 5 less horsepower (275HP vs. 270HP).

·
Registered
208 Posts
I will be buying an Acadia or Outlook next year as well. I'll be in the same position-I like both. I like the woodgrain of the Outlook, but the rear of the Acadia. Our local GMC dealer doesn't really have Acadia's in stock, but there are plenty of Outlooks at the Saturn dealer. We're leaning towards the Acadia (GM card earnings) and I don't believe in Saturn's no haggle pricing. I want a discount and will haggle for it. But I don't have a problem paying $40K for a Saturn, as this is an excellent SUV. GM really needs to let Saturn accept GM card earnings though - it's about time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Although i dont have the earnings, that is something GM needs to start letting Saturn accept as it costing them a bit of buisness to other GM brands.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It all comes down to EXTERIOR appearance according to my WIFE. She picks out her own and has to have only a few designated options before I go into dealer to buy. Said Acadia was masculine which she liked. Her car and gets what she wants every 4 years with her certain designated few options.

·
Registered
284 Posts
fenwah said:
My wife owned a Saturn once. We won't make that mistake ever again!
Oh yeah, good reason ::)

Because the Outlook is just so completely different from the Acadia...right. The old plastic bodied, flimsily built, and unrefined Saturn is gone, and now all of the products are either direct from Europe (new Vue & Astra), or based on other GM products--the Sky, Aura, and Outlook. They're attracting a huge number of import buyers as well, so it's not even fair to remotely compare them to Saturn of old. They're now the "Euro" brand of GM.

UNLESS, that is, you just had bad dealership experiences. It's not the usual case, but just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Keith said:
5) GMC wanted my biz. Saturn dealer did nothing to get me into the car and the store was often not even open when it was supposed to be. Overall a poor experience with Saturn dealer and figured service would be equally unrelaible.
I guess this was part of it as well. The Saturn dealer was WAY more "salesmanish" than our GMC dealer. Both are no-haggle but the Saturn guy really turned me off. I don't do salesman. On the other hand, the Honda dealer couldn't care less if we bought something or not. I think it actually bothered him when we came back for a test drive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I looked at both. The Acadia felt higher end to me, and I also didn't want to spend $35K plus on a Saturn. Also, resale value has historically been better on a GMC than Saturn.

Plus, the no-haggle pricing made the Saturn more expensive. I couldn't get the Saturn salesman to understand that a $35,500 Acadia, discounted down to $33,500 is cheaper than a less-equipped Saturn that stickers at $34,000.

But, all in all, I like them both. I think you'll be happy either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow....we have been having this EXACT same dilemma. Spent 2 1/2 hours in the GMC dealer last Friday, and ended up walking out just plain irritated. So, we decided to go look at the Saturn as a friend of ours just bought an Aura and raved about the experience. Now, keep in mind, I would rather have a ROOT CANAL than go to a car dealer. I hate the whole car buying experience. So, we walk into our local suburban Chicago Saturn dealer. We are greeted by a nice guy. He made a point to introduce himself to our kids!!! We are talking with him, and tell him exactly what we want. He asks if he can pull one around for us. Uh, YES! So we drive it. It does not drive A BIT different than the GMC. Accelerated the same, handled the same, was quiet. And, I personally liked the interior much better on the Saturn...like another poster said, the GMC felt like a GMC...too truckish for me. I am in a Buick now, so I kind of like my woodgrain trim. :p Then we start talking pricing....and we lease my car. I can't keep a car longer than 3 years.....an equally equipped Saturn was almost $100 less per month than the Acadia. Since I actually like the interior better, it was a done deal. We are ordering a Saturn so I can get it exactly how I want it. NEVER, NEVER did I think I would own (well, lease) a Saturn, but the whole experience was so pleasant, I am no longer wishing for a root canal instead. And my kids can't stop talking about getting balloons and popsicles!!! Happy kids equal happy parents. :cheers:

Bottom line, they make different cars for different people. Some love the GMC, some love the Saturn...go look at them and price them and decide which one you like better!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
mrspmc00 said:
Wow....we have been having this EXACT same dilemma. Spent 2 1/2 hours in the GMC dealer last Friday, and ended up walking out just plain irritated. So, we decided to go look at the Saturn as a friend of ours just bought an Aura and raved about the experience. Now, keep in mind, I would rather have a ROOT CANAL than go to a car dealer. I hate the whole car buying experience. So, we walk into our local suburban Chicago Saturn dealer. We are greeted by a nice guy. He made a point to introduce himself to our kids!!! We are talking with him, and tell him exactly what we want. He asks if he can pull one around for us. Uh, YES! So we drive it. It does not drive A BIT different than the GMC. Accelerated the same, handled the same, was quiet. And, I personally liked the interior much better on the Saturn...like another poster said, the GMC felt like a GMC...too truckish for me. I am in a Buick now, so I kind of like my woodgrain trim. :p Then we start talking pricing....and we lease my car. I can't keep a car longer than 3 years.....an equally equipped Saturn was almost $100 less per month than the Acadia. Since I actually like the interior better, it was a done deal. We are ordering a Saturn so I can get it exactly how I want it. NEVER, NEVER did I think I would own (well, lease) a Saturn, but the whole experience was so pleasant, I am no longer wishing for a root canal instead. And my kids can't stop talking about getting balloons and popsicles!!! Happy kids equal happy parents. :cheers:

Bottom line, they make different cars for different people. Some love the GMC, some love the Saturn...go look at them and price them and decide which one you like better!!!!
I feel that the dealership and their service department have a lot to do with the sale of a car. We bought our first new car from a local GM/Pontiac/Buick Dealer back in 1989, Pontiac Bonneville, and kept it for 10 years. I bought from a different dealer, Chrysler, a 3 year old Plymouth Voyager, had such a horrible experience with the vehicle and service department there I went back to the GM/Pontiac/Buick Dealer and bought another new car in 2001, Pontiac Montana. Last week I ordered a 2008 Acadia (just love it - inside - outside and the drive!). I swore after my experience with the Chrysler Dealership and their service department I would never buy from any other dealer or have anyone other than my GM dealer's service department service my car. They have always treated me as if I was a family member. Something to be said for small, hometown businesses.

Everyone's taste is different and that is why there are so many choices out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aside from the reasons already stated: HUD, ULGY Wood trim (personal preference), Bose, Tailpipes; I wanted to avoid the Saturn = Family Friendly = Minivan. :binky:

Only knowing about the Outlook at first, I came close to buying it but with the fear it would be too much like a minivan. (I was in the market for an SUV). Then we spotted the GMC (bone-crushing >:D death-defying :angryfire: lumber-hauler 8)) Acadia.

I preferred the trim and the upgraded features of the Acadia, and despite it's the same darn car as the Outlook, the giant "GMC" logo helps fend off any minivan comment from "the guys" :beer: and keeps my manhood intact :angel:.

Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but it was honestly part of the decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I posted the following statement a month ago. I LOVE THIS VEHICLE. Even though I have had a couple problems with my Acaidia, as I have posted, I still believe I made a good decision. By the way, just my opinion, but I prefer the GMC looks.

"I just bought an '08 Acadia on 8/4/07. It was love at first sight. (ashamed to say because I usually haggle strategically)

Now, 3 days later, I joined this sight. What a whirl-wind romance.

I Started my morning early last Saturday to buy a Dodge Charger. When the salesman that I spoke to over the phone was a no show (idiot), I went to the next dealer. A Buick/GMC Dealer. I was going to check into a Buick Lucerne CXS when the Liquid Silver Acadia caught my eye. Wow, was I impressed. Yada, yada, yada, a few hours later, I drove it off the lot.

I knew of the Acadia but thought it was just another overpriced, modern day station wagon (SUV). I was wrong. Although I still think the sticker is a little high when compared to a Yukon or Tahoe, it was a nice fit for my needs.

I am now enjoying my honeymoon with my new love and have been swept off my feet."

·
Registered
542 Posts
I too feel the Outlook is a more feminine looking/appealing car than the Acadia. Of course I am VERY secure in my manhood so that did not factor into the decision. ::)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was first drawn to the Lambdas by the Outlook. I really like the outside styling. I don't care for the 'leaping frog' look of the front of the Acadia.
In the end, it appears like an Acadia will be in our future due to a few reasons:

1) no local saturn dealer (closest is 2 hours away)
2) no roof rack on the base Saturn
3) incentives and end price of an Acadia will probably be lower.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts