GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I received a call from a the Service manager at the GM dealer regarding the idling issue with my acadia. he told me that according to GM engeneers, i should be using Top Tier Fuel.

Now i have always used hi grade fuel, now what the heck is top tier fuel Exactly?

what if i am on a roadtrip and i need to refill and the only gas station available does not have top tier fuel, what am i supposed to do.

this is not acceptable, i would think that GM engeneers ar smart enough to come up with a solution to this issue.

Never had a problem with my Honda Cars.

·
Registered
681 Posts
http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

It is all about the additives - still, it should not have that much of a effect on the engine performance - also, GMC is not even listed as an automaker that recommends this fuel. If you look at the list of suppliers of top tier fuel, I do not have many in my area and I do not think I ever used one on any consistant basis and I have not had any idle problems. I think thereis something more with your Acadia and the service mamanger is blaming it on fuel. Maybe you go a bad batch of fuel but that should have worked itself out of the engine by now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

But i have filled up at many different top fuel companies, like Esso, Sunoco, Shell, Petro Canada, and still have the same issue,

the service manager said that higher fuel rating like 91, 92 or 94 is not the same as top tier gas. HMMMMM.....

That's why i ask is it top tier gas Jet fuel for crying out loud?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Although I really don't think the fuel has anything to do with your idle issue, as Johnway mentions, the top tier fuel thing is a rating based on cleaning additives being done at a level higher than the minimum government requirement. The implication being control of the buildup of long term deposits. Most of the suppliers you mentioned are on the list, but not all, (such as Esso). It really has nothing to do with octane. General Motors is a proponent of the program although it is hard to say how much is driven by marketing and how much is technological.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Maybe water in the tank. Try a bottle or 2 of HEAT. If that no workie, take it to another dealer. May have a partial injector clogged.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
thewal said:
Thanks,

But i have filled up at many different top fuel companies, like Esso, Sunoco, Shell, Petro Canada, and still have the same issue,

the service manager said that higher fuel rating like 91, 92 or 94 is not the same as top tier gas. HMMMMM.....

That's why i ask is it top tier gas Jet fuel for crying out loud?
Top Tier gas is just gas with good additives that have met the testing required to be labeled Top Tier. See this link http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

For example: Shell is a Top Tier gas. It does not matter what octane (87,89, etc) you buy, all Shell gas is Top Tier.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You learn something every day...I've been using a Top Tier Fuel (shell) and didn't know it ;D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
In my area, Shell is the cheapest gas. Top that off with my 5% Shell MC discount and the local station giving 5 cents off if you use a Shell card or cash, and I have been paying $3.40 - $3.50 this week for Top Tier gas. :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Do any of you think top tier is that important?

I almost always use non-top tier (not by choice)
gasoline, probably more than 90% of the time.
I've put 76,000 mile on my honda element and have never
had any idle or combustion problems/issues.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hard to say Copper. When I experienced the idle fluttering, top tier gas fixed it. So in my case it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Maybe a faster way would be to to do some system cleaning by adding a bottle of Chevron Techron or Shell V-power fuel system cleaner to a tank of gas. I think they are two of the better cleaners and they're available at Wal-Mart. Personally, I always buy top tier gas, unless I just can't find it. Around here, probably 75% of the stations are Top Tier

·
Registered
156 Posts
Top tier fuel for your issue is just a cover up IMHO.  What was the idle issue? And why did they recommend the top tier fuel? I'd get their recommendation in writing - just to protect your butt!!! Try some fuel injector cleaner just for gee whiz. 

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Good point 3rd Timer - The idle issue should be fixed. I could see if one tank of gas was bad one time and caused an idle problem, but in no way should a car of this caliber be that sensitive to fuel additives. That does not make sense.

Take it back and make them fix it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The issue with the idling is when the car is cold and you go to start it, it idles eractly for 10 seconds, then its fine. but it's a piss off, i really dont think fuel is the issue here, if it were then almost every acadia on the road would have that problem.

i think i will try a different dealer. I mean i love the acadia but now I am really starting ro regret buying it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine was sitting at red lights. Wild fluttering and rocking. And fully clothed. ;D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
thewal said:
The issue with the idling is when the car is cold and you go to start it, it idles eractly for 10 seconds, then its fine. but it's a piss off, i really dont think fuel is the issue here, if it were then almost every acadia on the road would have that problem.

i think i will try a different dealer. I mean i love the acadia but now I am really starting ro regret buying it.
That definitely does not sound like a fuel problem. Push them hard to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
GAR said:
thewal said:

That definitely does not sound like a fuel problem. Push them hard to get it fixed.
:ditto: My second response to this issue. If continues, get GM rep to meet you at your dealer or visit second dealer if possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to take it to a different dealer, funny i spoke to them this morning and explained the situation, and the service person said no it should not be the fuel.

one dealer says it's the fuel the other says it's not. hmmmmmm.

Do they all do to the same training school. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Just a question, why would you buy non top tier fuel when the good stuff is usually within $.03 of the discount fuel? This does not make any sense unless you are unable to get this fuel. It is my experience that when the dealer suggests you use a better fuel he is telling you that he wants to eliminate the easy things to fix so he does not have to rip apart your acadia for nothing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Using top tier fuel makes a difference over the life of the vehicle.  However, using lesser grade gas and a fuel system cleaner like Amsoil's Performance Improver which has a money back guarantee (http://www.amsoil.com/products/promos/P.i.GuaranteeWeb.pdf).  A decent over-the-counter fuel system cleaner would be the Chevron Techron.  I use the P.I every 6 months.  In my '07 VW GTI 2.0 turbo I feel the seat-of-the-pants difference after a tank full.

Back on topic... taking it to another dealer might be the best thing.  Second opinion these days does count for something. 

Best of luck.  Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.  Nothing like having a nice new vehicle and a challenge to deal with. 

1 - 20 of 61 Posts