GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add the old car horn from the wife's last car to the '21 Acadia (novelty, will not be replacing stock horn).

Is there a post on here about adding a toggle switch to c1xx model? Where is the least obtrusive place to Mount one?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'd like to add the old car horn from the wife's last car to the '21 Acadia (novelty, will not be replacing stock horn).

Is there a post on here about adding a toggle switch to c1xx model? Where is the least obtrusive place to Mount one?
On her previous car? LOL :)
A toggle switch wouldn't be what you need... you'd want a spring loaded push switch.
I'd not mess with the vehicle in this manner, but to each their own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm thinking that a 1972 awoogah horn would be a great addition to an Acadia of this vintage. And I might go spring loaded, if I find one that isn't hideous

·
Registered
2019 Acadia Denali
32 Posts
You're talking about a selector switch that would allow you to switch between Stock and Novelty, and still use the stock horn button on the steering wheel? One of the potential issues is how many amps the Novelty horn will draw. If it is equal or less than the Stock horn, my recommendation would be to use a SPDT 12vdc relay, driven by the horn button. Then use the relay to switch between the 2 circuits. It would be pretty straightforward, except for the pain of running the wire from the switch to the relay through the firewall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, just a direct switch to the novelty horn. Stock system totally untouched.

I'm wondering if there's a good place to drill a hole through the dash? Is there a good power supply in the cab I can tap into?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Nope, just a direct switch to the novelty horn. Stock system totally untouched.

I'm wondering if there's a good place to drill a hole through the dash? Is there a good power supply in the cab I can tap into?
If you look under the hood at the firewall, you should be able to see a few rubber grommets already in place that are used for pass throughs for stock wiring or other uses. Some have used these by popping a small hole with a pick or possibly an unused "knock out" plug for add on accessory wiring.
Find a few possible ones and take a look under the dash in the corresponding places to see what would work.
Make sure you use proper automotive grade wiring and maybe even plastic loom around any wires.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
IMO, you're on your own with that modification. If you follow someone's advice and it harms the vehicle, you'll be paying for any repair. Warranty will not cover it. Break out the VOM to find a suitable power source and look behind the dash for the best place to drill. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I remember the "AWUUUGAH" horns. I would like one for my golf cart.

George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts