GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2009 Acadia SLT1; Carbon Black Metallic / Ebony Leather. I absolutely LOVED the heated seats this morning (especially with it being 44 degrees outside). *sigh* OMG, it drove like a dream. hehe

Unfortunately, it's just a rental from Enterprise. I dropped my Acadia off at the dealership this morning for the 30K service (even though I'm over 36K) and to have the transmission checked again.

I explained the problems that I was having with it to Tony. Unlike other service advisers I've talked to there, he always listens and takes notes. :thumb: I told him about the vibration in stop/go traffic just before it feels like it should shift. I also told him about an incident I had last week pulling into an intersection from a stop sign. The Acadia did not want to go, at all. It slowly moved into the intersection (minivan coming my way, me freaking out), so I let off the accelerator and started again. Nothing. I had to floor it to get it to jolt me across the intersection. Totally freaked me out. I've never had that happen before. He said that he knows they have been having a lot of problems with the Acadia and transmissions. I'm out of my 36K warranty, so this falls under the powertrain warranty and my rental is still covered. (yay!)

I don't know how long they'll have it. I guess it depends on what they decide to do about the transmission. I hope they decide to do something about it. If I get it back again with a "normal operating condition" excuse, I'm gonna be sad.

So after checking in my Acadia, I sit and wait for the Enterprise guy. He logs in my info and grabs some keys. He says "I have an Impala here for you." "Or, for $10 a day, an Acadia." I considered it, then said "Eh, it's not worth it just for a day." But then I thought it might be more than a day. So I joked "is it fully loaded?" And he says "It's a 2009. Leather seats." So I'm like "Okay, I'll take it!" heh Who wants to be stuck with a base model Impala for more than a day? lol

Mostly I wanted to see how it drove compared to my 2007. Secondly I wanted to pamper myself. ;) Had it been Dark Crimson... they might not ever see me again.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I hate to say it, but it really, really sounds like they should try a completely new transmission Charlene. From the vibration issues to this now, they really should just try a new unit. Software programming can't fix all this stuff. :-\

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony just called with an update. Of course, they can't get my transmission to duplicate the problem, but then again they only drove it 10 miles. I gave him the okay to take it on an extended test drive and explained a little more to him exactly when I can feel the vibration and how it occurs. Hopefully that will help them duplicate the problem.

The computer returned no error codes. He was about to recommend a trans flush until he read that it has synthetic fluid in it and would cost me $250. He said if they cannot duplicate the problem, GM did not recommend taking the trans apart at this time, but would give me a document/flow chart to fill out after driving to document the problems I'm having. But again, if I brought it back and they could not get it to duplicate, they wouldn't tear the trans apart. At that point, he said they'd put something like a "flight recorder" into my Acadia and I would push a button when I experience the problem and it would record everything that's going on at the time.

*sigh*

At least it seems like they are really trying to find the problem and understand how to fix it instead of giving me the brush-off.

On another note, I remembered something he told me this morning... he asked if one of my tires had been replaced. I said no. Apparently three of them are at "6" and one is at "8". I'm guessing those are the measurements from the tread gauge he used on my tires. Why would one be so different?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So, how do they compare, 2007 vs 2009?

And don't you dare leave out any sordid details ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
my guess would be that the one with 8 is the left front. that is probably the primary drive tire. although i am sure you have rotated the tires often. if so, then maybe there is a problem with the install of the half shaft. a bearing could not be seated properly which may cause an inter. vibrations at certain temps. we had the same vibrations on our last trip but only one time after an extended down hill. maybe it is the tcc? debris is an evil thing.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copperhead13 said:
So, how do they compare, 2007 vs 2009?

And don't you dare leave out any sordid details ;)
Well so far I've only put 35 miles on it. And considering I normally drive an SLE and this is an SLT (along with mine having a funky transmission) - they definitely drive differently. Acceleration was smooth, shifting was hardly noticeable at all. Taking turns felt much smoother as well. I don't think it had as much pep as it should have though. It might just be that I'm accustomed to driving mine though. But when accelerating on the highway, while it was smooth, it didn't feel like it had "get up n go" unless you really stepped on the pedal.

The heated seats were dreamy. LOL I could have taken a nap on my way to work if it had auto-pilot. Of course, with my cloth seats, there is no need for heat because they don't freeze your *** as soon as you sit on them like the leather ones do.

I didn't mess with the sunroof because it was cold outside. And the rear one was closed. I briefly considered trying out some buttons to see if I could open the shade, but then I flashed back to an episode of "Til Death" where Eddie bought that Chrysler convertible and had all those crazy issues with it at the Winky Mart when he started pushing buttons. LOL I didn't want to get ejected from the Acadia while going 55mph.

I noticed the mirrors were kind of funky. The side mirror made everything look a little warped. What's up with that?

I loved that it told me what direction I was traveling in. Right under the temperature on the dash. I'm very directionally-challenged, so it's nice to know which way I'm going.

Even though I have the Ebony interior in mine, this carpeting seemed darker. Did they change it for 09? The whole interior seemed a lot darker. It was nice. Had that "new car" smell. Mine has long since worn off. lol

I like the radio controls on the steering wheel. I had that in my Vue. I miss it in my Acadia. It has XM radio. Which was okay. But why would you pay for radio that has commercials anyway? I don't get it. I'd rather listen to a CD or my MP3 player I guess.

I noticed the control arm for the wipers is different. And the rear wiper is controlled by buttons on the console.

I played with the tri-zone climate control a bit. I'm not sure if I care for it or not. Maybe when I learn to use it a little better. But I like my manual climate control just fine in my SLE. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything there.

I don't really care for the Carbon Black much. It looks too ordinary.

I didn't really have time to notice anything else. I'm still debating on whether or not to go out at lunch and mess around with its DIC (is that sordid enough for you? See other thread on MPG... LOL). If I do that, then I can check out all the other goodies too.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
My take:
I drive a 2009 Acadia SLT1; Carbon Black Metallic / Ebony Leather. I absolutely LOVED the heated seats this morning (especially with it being 44 degrees outside). *sigh* OMG, it drove like a dream. hehe

For it to truly be a "dream" Acadia, wouldn't it have to be Dark Crimson?

I explained the problems that I was having with it to Tony. Unlike other service advisers I've talked to there, he always listens and takes notes.
One of two things:

Tony's notes:
1. Pay cell bill
2. Pickup coffee at store
3. Hand off this whiner to someone else next time
4. Price some waterbeds

-OR-
1. This chick is really smart, I bet if she was an admin or a forum mod that place would really be great!
2. She really seems to know a lot about Acadias, she should really be an admin or a forum mod for an Acadia website!
3. I should ask her out, but I need to do some more research first. If only there was a way to monitor what goes on in that Acadia...

So after checking in my Acadia, I sit and wait for the Enterprise guy. He logs in my info and grabs some keys. He says "I have an Impala here for you." "Or, for $10 a day, an Acadia." I considered it, then said "Eh[/color], it's not worth it just for a day."
Was he Canadian?

$10/day? Don't these people know who you are? They should be paying you for the privilege of you using their otherwise unworthy vehicle. :)

Had it been Dark Crimson... they might not ever see me again.
Now that is more like it. Statute of limitations for most auto theft is <4 years anyway. It would still be in good shape at that point.

At that point, he said they'd put something like a "flight recorder" into my Acadia and I would push a button when I experience the problem and it would record everything that's going on at the time.

Tony's notes, continued:
4. She is pretty smart, but I think I can get a webcam in there if I tell her it is actually something else.

Now that the entertainment part is over, tires are measured in 32s of inches. 8/32 is 1/4" of tread. It is weird to have a 2/32" difference if the tire pressure is the same and they have been regularly rotated. Have you been driving on three wheels? Doing burnouts after certain tire rotations?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's funny, Blue.

Webraven, mine has started the shaking. Does yours do it when you are in idle too?

My son and I like playing with the heated seats. There's nothing better than driving around town in 90+ weather and having your rear end start sweating. Both of us should know by now the other has turned them on, but it still takes a few minutes before I realize that they are on. My son just loves all the ways he can mess with the car and make me think I am crazy! It's times like those that I miss the Volvo. You could push a button and the headrests would fold up and hit both kids on the head.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mckcab said:
Webraven, mine has started the shaking. Does yours do it when you are in idle too?
It's not really what I would call "shaking". It's a slight vibration felt mostly in the gas pedal, but also somewhat in the steering wheel and shifter. But only when accelerating slowly just before it shifts. Sounds like yours has something else wrong with it entirely.

mckcab said:
You could push a button and the headrests would fold up and hit both kids on the head.
OMG, I laughed at this. That is totally something I would do. When my son was younger, I had him convinced the hazard lights button was actually for ejecting the passenger seat and often threatened to push it. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Now that the entertainment part is over, tires are measured in 32s of inches. 8/32 is 1/4" of tread. It is weird to have a 2/32" difference if the tire pressure is the same and they have been regularly rotated. Have you been driving on three wheels? Doing burnouts after certain tire rotations?
Funny. :p After talking about his wife and her fascination for herding dogs, and discussing my Australian Cattle Dogs, I somehow don't think his notes included asking me out or putting a webcam in my Acadia.

No driving on three wheels. No burnouts. Though, you know, sometimes the tires do screech a bit when I take off from a stop light. I won't even be trying, it just happens. It's happened when my son was driving too.

The tire pressure is relatively the same in each tire. Admittedly I don't make a habit of checking it. Once a month Onstar emails me a report and tells me how it is. Maybe that's what the difference is being caused by and I should pay more attention to my tires in the future. And actually, the tires haven't been rotated as often as they should either... I think I missed my last tire rotation because the stupid place I had my oil changed at, didn't rotate tires. WTH? So yeah, I missed one. They'll rotate them for me today though.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I discovered at lunch that the Acadia is AWD. Maybe that has something to do with the ride difference between it and my own.

Also discovered that the turn signal noise is WAY louder than it is in my SLE. Holy cow. I don't like it. I'm glad mine is quieter.

I also noticed, glancing toward the rear seats, that you can see right under the third row. What's up with that? On mine, I think a piece of material or something hangs over it so you can't see under the seats. That wasn't there on this Acadia. It made it look tacky.

I finally figured out the DIC. I was looking in the wrong place. Apparently I had no idea where the Acadia's DIC was located. Oy. It does work while in motion. So I reset everything and then went out for lunch. I averaged 21.2mph with 18.6mpg. I'll check it again after I drive home.

And a question: There are three buttons on the overhead in between the dome lights. They are not flat with the surface. I waited until I was parked, just in case one was a seat-ejection button, and then pushed each of them. They lit up a little arrow just in front of them, but seemingly did nothing else. What are they for?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Web Raven said:
I discovered at lunch that the Acadia is AWD. Maybe that has something to do with the ride difference between it and my own.

Also discovered that the turn signal noise is WAY louder than it is in my SLE. Holy cow. I don't like it. I'm glad mine is quieter.

I also noticed, glancing toward the rear seats, that you can see right under the third row. What's up with that? On mine, I think a piece of material or something hangs over it so you can't see under the seats. That wasn't there on this Acadia. It made it look tacky.

I finally figured out the DIC. I was looking in the wrong place. Apparently I had no idea where the Acadia's DIC was located. Oy. It does work while in motion. So I reset everything and then went out for lunch. I averaged 21.2mph with 18.6mpg. I'll check it again after I drive home.

And a question: There are three buttons on the overhead in between the dome lights. They are not flat with the surface. I waited until I was parked, just in case one was a seat-ejection button, and then pushed each of them. They lit up a little arrow just in front of them, but seemingly did nothing else. What are they for?
They would be the programmable garage door buttons. :)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dmajr said:
They would be the programmable garage door buttons. :)
So garage doors were opening and closing in the nearby neighborhood while I was pushing them. LOL

Thanks for solving that mystery.

I just heard back from Tony. They took it on an extended test drive. He did personally. He said he didn't notice anything unusual. :( *sigh* So they are going to give me some packet from GM that I'm supposed to fill out and then make an appt. to bring it back for a few days. He said at that point they'd probably approve the data recorder installation. I don't know what all that entails. Then any time I experience a problem with the transmission, I'm supposed to hit a button to record what's going on.

Oh well. At least they aren't in complete denial that something could be wrong. Looks like I get my Acadia back today. Good thing I didn't bond too much with the '09. ;) My Acadia would be jealous.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Web - While they have not yet solved it, the fact that they are doing something is encouraging. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got off the phone with the dealership. Tony said GM engineering called this morning and they asked him to fax me some document. I don't know what it's about yet. He said to look it over and give him a call to see if it's something I want to go along with. *scratches head* Now I'm really curious!

I'll let you guys know what it says once I get it.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ugh. All he sent me was the May 8th TSB that was updated as of August 1, 2008. It reads exactly the same as the May 8th update except it has an A at the end of the number. Everything else is identical, even the Labor Operation code. Wouldn't he be able to tell that this was already done to my vehicle this past June based on that code alone?

They can't perform the update twice, can they? Could it be remotely possible that a software update could be done incorrectly?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Queen Web said:
...Could it be remotely possible that a software update could be done incorrectly?
LOL you work around computers a lot and ask this? I'm sure GM has it's share of the BSOD from time to time.

The "A" suffix to me means something changed... wouldn't hurt to try it. Along the lines of what GAR said, you are truly blessed to have such a great service department & adviser.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called him back and said that I thought it might be the same update that was done on June 6th. He disagreed and said that this one was dated after the fact. (I knew this - but if you read the contents of the bulletin, it is identical and even has a disclaimer stating that it was only revised because of a formatting issue in the table of the printed version of the TSB) But he was having none of that. LOL He is of the opinion that it's worth a try and at this point I'm willing to try anything. So I'm bringing it in at 7am tomorrow morning and he's going to have a technician standing by to perform the update while I wait so that I won't be too late for work. Luckily the dealership is just down the street from my house. :)

*fingers crossed*

Mr. Blue - You are correct. I've only ever had a negative experience with this service department once, and that was when I ended up speaking with another adviser who apparently wasn't a people person. Now when I bring my Acadia in, I make sure that Tony is available to speak with.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Web - I believe they updated the document that went with the #08-07-30-022 TSB and therefore had to add the "A" to make it
#08-07-30-022A. I'm near 100% sure the programming did not change. At least they are trying which is nice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Web Raven - your description of the vibration sounds exactly like a problem we experienced with my daughter's Mercury Cougar. It turned out to be the torque converter clutch "juddering" when it engaged or disengaged during shifts. The fix was a simple fluid flush ($150 on that car).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts