GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the built in Nav. System on the Acadia worth the extra cash? I ordered mine the the Nav but after reading some negatives toward the system I am second guessing myself. Do the positives outwiegh the negatives? My Acadia has not been built yet so I think I could change the order. Just want your opinions on the system. I do like the touchscreen though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did get Nav...but you lose the 6-disc changer with Nav AND DVD in the rear...bummer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a big fan of Nav systems since I get lost going around the corner plus, it's just really cool.
That said, I own a portable nav system (Garmin Nuvi 660) that is fantastic. The obvious benefit of the portable is that it can be used in any vehicle I drive. This is helpful also, when I go on vacation or travel for work. I take the nav with me and use it in my rental car. Very useful in a strange town.
From an operational standpoint, one of the things that bothers me with the built-in systems is that they are typically located too low for convenient viewing. Although they give voice directions, nav systems aren't perfect and requires in my opinion, audio and visual of the map road ahead. One of the only vehicles I've seen with a top-of-the-dash nav system is the new Acura MDX.

If your're interested in a portable nav, I highly recommend the Garmin Nuvi 660.
Rather than trying to explain all the features, here's the link. http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi660/
It's pricey for a portable but cheaper than the Acadia option and has more functionality.

Curious what you think.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm with bobambrosini. Garmins are great, and portable (perhaps a little bit more hassle to place/remove; built-in one you just turn on). Having said that, I imagine that if I did have a built-in one I wouldn't be disappointed. But I wouldn't have use of it outside of that one vehicle, either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
O my gosh! Definitely get it! DO NOT SECOND GUESS THIS ONE! It makes the whole radio cooler also, touch screen change channels, etc. PLUS you can watch dvds through it (sshhh, with just a little switcherooing) (you can watch dvds on it in park anyway, while waiting for spouse to go to Starbucks!
It makes the whole car SOO much more elite! If you can get it, do! I was wondering about it also. BUT, it is the coolest thing ever! Everyone loves the touch screen changing feature, definitely car of the future! YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm on the fence to re: the Nav system. I'm probably purchasing my Acadia this fall because I'm waiting for aftermarket toys to show up. I need roof racks to carry kayaks, etc. Can anyone provide a list of features available with the Nav system? I'm aware of the GPS capabilities, etc, but what other features comes with it? I tried looking on the GMC site, but I didn't see any great descriptions.

One question, anyone know if you'll need the Nav system for the backup camera?

I may just opt out for a Garmin.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jewelacadia said:
O my gosh! Definitely get it! DO NOT SECOND GUESS THIS ONE! It makes the whole radio cooler also, touch screen change channels, etc. PLUS you can watch dvds through it (sshhh, with just a little switcherooing) (you can watch dvds on it in park anyway, while waiting for spouse to go to Starbucks!
It makes the whole car SOO much more elite! If you can get it, do! I was wondering about it also. BUT, it is the coolest thing ever! Everyone loves the touch screen changing feature, definitely car of the future! YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!!!!!!!
Agreed. And with HUD, you get the maneuvers and a "countdown" bar displayed on the windshield! Really neat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jewelacadia said:
Yes, By all means, do pay GM $2000 for something for can buy aftermarket for $500. Who cares that its redundant with the Onstar directions service, at least you'll look cool while announcing to the world that you get lost a lot. >:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
I vote Garmin. I have the Nuvi 350. Love it, especially for its portability and ability to download software updates.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Guess I need to try OnStar directions to determine if it could replace the NAV. One caveat--I've never had NAV and didn't think I would like it. I must say that I love the NAV system -- and I fully agree with the comments by Jewelacadia and Naplesam. It's dead on, even out here in the middle of nowhere in WV. Actually, I'm amazed that it can find things out here!

If cost is the issue, go with what works for you. But, remember, you CAN deal back from the 2K MSRP on the option.

·
Registered
159 Posts
rwolson said:
One question, anyone know if you'll need the Nav system for the backup camera?
Thanks
Yes you need the Nav system for the backup camera..

And today i was at a GMC dealership and the salesman was talking to us about the navigation system and he said that there is a way around having to be in park to watch movies on it!! But he didnt say how :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get the NAV. I have a Garmin Nuvi, it's great. I use it in my Honda Ridgeline and out of town but we got the NAV in my wife's Acadia and it is really cool. The NAV also integrates with the heads up display, makes the radio really easy to use, can view DVD's and it just is so much easier for normal to non-techie people (the wife) to use.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. But you also get voice recognition commands as well.

Push the button on the steering wheel and tell it to change channels, go to destination, change CD tracks etc.

Way cool

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jewelacadia said:
Hey Jewel, any more info on the 'switcherooing'?? :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Racefla said:
But you also get voice recognition commands as well.
Push the button on the steering wheel and tell it to change channels, go to destination, change CD tracks etc.
Way cool
Correct, correct, correct. I will underscore how it fully integrates with the HUD--very impressive. You won't get that with an aftermarket.

Really looking forward to info on the DVD work around out of park and the "switcherooo"!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Kelly,

Still waiting for my Acadia to arrive.
Hoping this week! God, I'm hoping this week!!!

The Garmin comes with a suction cup mount for the windshield. Most people put it just below the rearview mirror. It also comes with an adhesive back dash-mount but I would not recommend that option.
Garmin also has an optional bean-bag mount that works very well. The bean bag has a rubberized suface that keeps the unit from sliding around on the dash. That said, I'm looking forward to experimenting with having the unit sit in the Acadia's storage compartment on the dash. That would be the perfect location for it.

Bob

·
Registered
261 Posts
'And today i was at a GMC dealership and the salesman was talking to us about the navigation system and he said that there is a way around having to be in park to watch movies on it!! But he didnt say how'

there are several places that sell add on modules.

http://www.coastaletech.com
http://tvandnav2go.com/

However, don't know what these add ons do to your warranty. Void them?? Maybe

Another advantage of the factory GPS is the points of interest or phone book entries. You go to the point of interest, get information and there usually is a phone number. If you have the phone service with OnStar (or thru OnStar with Verizon), you just push a button and your connected. Its great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
oicu812 said:
Jewelacadia said:
Yes, By all means, do pay GM $2000 for something for can buy aftermarket for $500. Who cares that its redundant with the Onstar directions service, at least you'll look cool while announcing to the world that you get lost a lot. >:D
LOL!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts