GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think about the DVD option? Go with factory install or get one installed later if wanted? Told its like $800 to get one put in but $1100 for one that comes with the car. Can't decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
The Factory one is pretty nice, good color, you get dolby 5.1 which sounds great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Get it! You wont regret it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
I don't have the DVD on mine, but my input on something like this is that it's better to have it installed at the factory than chance someone screwing up your Acadia on you trying to put one in after the fact. That's just my 2 cents. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Either get it factory installed or buy a portable one that hangs in between the two front head rests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
I decided against the factory one for a few reasons. 1--the cost, couldn't afford the extra per month with my budget. Of course after I ordered, we came into some money from a relative and it wouldn't have mattered... 2--Decided that the rear flip down would block my rearward visibility, which is already somewhat slim. 3--really wanted the dealer installed headrest units instead if I felt a need to have DVD in the car. 4--Still undecided if its necessary since we can use cheap portables that do the job for far less money, and they are able to come with us in the hotels/wherever if the kids need them.

The only thing I do wish for is the 5.1 surround sound that came with it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Ok, here is what I like about the factory unit--

-- It was going to be perfect, right off the bat.
-- it would be included in the bumper to bumber, and any service contract (so would dealer installed at purchase I suppose)
-- Stereo is just awesome with the DD 5.1
-- Pair of wireless included, and also jacks in the back of the front armrest for additional headphones. Additional wireless would be easy to find from GM Accessories
-- The DVD slot is in the front, since we have a 2.5 year old, we can change disks for her. Even after she can work it, then we will be able to control content and use.
-- When her friends start coming with, the position of the ceiling DVD will allow viewers from any position in the back two rows. Headrest DVDs would only be good for the person directly behind that one headrest.
-- You have the option to play through the main stereo speakers. As we have toddler, we are not crazy about her wearing headphones (all the time, because on the 3rd viewing of Cinderella in a row, she will probably need to wear those headphones)

Here is what I don't like about it--
-- Getting the factory DVD means giving up the in-dash changer.
-- Headrest units would mean that I could ride in back with my daughter and watch something different. Since I can still carry our old $100 portable I can watch something different in the passenger seat, or I can watch it on my 17" laptop, so that is no biggie for us-- but anyone with 2 kids the headrest units might be better if they allow different disks to play.



One thing about the rear visibility that has been noted-- my wife and I both do not think this is a problem. You DO see it in the rearview mirror, but in the top of it. Unless you are concerned about low flying planes instead of ground vehicles, it should not be much of an issue. However, a ceiling mounted 9" or larger might very well be a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I do like the factory unit, good picture and the sound is amazing, I am really peeved that I lost the 6 disc CD changer - it showed on the sticker on the left side as an option on the SLT2 - then on the right side it mentions the Nav system radio addition but does not mention losing the 6 disc changer, I really wish the dealer had told me that - with the DVD and NAV if you are playing a DVD for the back you cannot listen to a CD, all that is left is XM and Radio and thank goodness you can plug a MP3 player in the AUX jack that is what i use when the kids are watching movies in the back.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
mitchl - Very good review. You pretty much said everything I was planning on saying. If you plan on trying to duplicate the functionality of the onboard DVD player (meaning one central screen), don't waste your money on aftermarket part. The 8" screen looks great, is integrated into the headliner and doesn't impede rear view (like mitchl said, you can see about 1 inch of the bottom of the screen in your rearview mirror, but it basically ends where the rear window begins) anything bigger and it WILL start the impede the view. The integrated 5.1 surround sound, steering wheel mounted controls and front loading DVD are WELL worth a slight price increase you mightp ay over an aftermarket version.

If you have two larger kids and really need the functionality of multiple DVD unit playing separate movies at once, then maybe you'd be wasting your money on the built-in DVD. With a 2 year old, it's absolutely the best option we could have gotten and I would have paid double for it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for their help. You have convinced me to pry open my wallet and splurge for the factory installed DVD. The comments about 2 year olds were especially well received as we have a two year old and one on the way next year. I do not have a 6 cd changer now and do not feel it would be a loss for me. If I can put my fave tunes on I pod or burned CD then I would not have need for more than one CD at a time anyway. Here is what I ordered.

SLT-2 Liquid silver
Ebony interior leather (see 2 year old above)
HUD (really cool on the Acadia. Have on my Pontiac but is not as nice)
8 passenger seating
DVD
Sunroof/skylight

All for under $37,000 including $1000 conquest
Also have a GM card so take $3500+- off the price there too so looking more like $32,000



I can't wait!![/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
admin said:
The 8" screen looks great, is integrated into the headliner and doesn't impede rear view (like mitchl said, you can see about 1 inch of the bottom of the screen in your rearview mirror, but it basically ends where the rear window begins) anything bigger and it WILL start the impede the view.
Cool. I was wondering whether or not the DVD impeded the rear view, I guess I'll have to add the rear DVD back into the
list of must have options. :clap2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Keith said:
Thanks to everyone for their help. You have convinced me to pry open my wallet and splurge for the factory installed DVD. The comments about 2 year olds were especially well received as we have a two year old and one on the way next year. I do not have a 6 cd changer now and do not feel it would be a loss for me. If I can put my fave tunes on I pod or burned CD then I would not have need for more than one CD at a time anyway. Here is what I ordered.

SLT-2 Liquid silver
Ebony interior leather (see 2 year old above)
HUD (really cool on the Acadia. Have on my Pontiac but is not as nice)
8 passenger seating
DVD
Sunroof/skylight

All for under $37,000 including $1000 conquest
Also have a GM card so take $3500+- off the price there too so looking more like $32,000



I can't wait!![/color]
Great choice, kids under 12, factroy DVD is priceless!,,,They can wear the headphones and are happy, while you are happy!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Keith said:
SLT-2 Liquid silver
Ebony interior leather (see 2 year old above)
HUD (really cool on the Acadia. Have on my Pontiac but is not as nice)
8 passenger seating
DVD
Sunroof/skylight
Other than the int/ext color and the sunroof, exactly what we just bought. Love it. Wishing you a fast delivery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
johnway said:
I do like the factory unit, good picture and the sound is amazing, I am really peeved that I lost the 6 disc CD changer - it showed on the sticker on the left side as an option on the SLT2 - then on the right side it mentions the Nav system radio addition but does not mention losing the 6 disc changer, I really wish the dealer had told me that - with the DVD and NAV if you are playing a DVD for the back you cannot listen to a CD, all that is left is XM and Radio and thank goodness you can plug a MP3 player in the AUX jack that is what i use when the kids are watching movies in the back.
With music going digital...I would just copy your existing CDs to your computer into a .wav format...then use a shareware program to convert the .wav files to .mp3...then save them onto a memory stick on your MP3 player...and then just play your music from there. Granted, it's a lot of work...but once you've gone through that conversion process, you're golden.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Now that I'm being "forced" to get an Acadia, I am questioning the need for the DVD player. I have a six and two year old now...with one on the way. I won a 6" portable DVD player at my companies Christmas party five months ago. We could use that instead of the $1295 DVD option. However, I do like the fact that they come with wireless headphones. Any idea if additional wireless headphones can be purchased...and will the DVD system accept that third output?

It would probably be smart of me to go for the option since this will become our main traveling vehicle. I'm such a cheapass though when it comes to adding on options. I think I have my configuration set to the following:

SLT-1
Dual Skyscape Sunroof
Convenience Package
Trailering Package
HUD
XM
Cargo Package
Entertainment System (maybe)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
I did a dealer add on. It was cheaper and had the wireless headphones. It kept the 6 disk, but we don't have 5.1 Dolby. I really didn't care since I really won't listen to what they are listening to anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Just curious how tall those are that say the dvd affects the rear visibility very little? I'm 6'3'' and when the dvd is down it nearly blocks out the entire middle third of my view out the back window. This was an easy decision for me because I felt the safety issues far outweighed the look of the overhead dvd. I also am more interested in the headrest dvd system because of the ability to watch two different things. I'll probably start with inexpenisve headrest strap ons like this http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=367591 and if they work out then eventually get some custom ones put into the headrest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
fenwah said:
Any idea if additional wireless headphones can be purchased...and will the DVD system accept that third output?
I got a third set of headphones at Best Buy for $30 or $40 - I don't remember. They work fine except that they only have one channel. The headphones that came with the car are two channel - channel one works with the dvd and channel 2 works with the radio. Now my kids fight over the 2 channel headphones if they all want to listen to radio disney in the back.

I chose the entertainment system because we've had several portable dvd players and they are a pain to deal with with the kids. You either have to worry about wires or charging them, and they can so easily get dropped and destroyed. One portable dvd player ruined a bunch of our dvds. So far I'm loving the entertainment system in my Acadia - I'm just trying to be good and not let the kids watch a movie every time we're in the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
azfun said:
Just curious how tall those are that say the dvd affects the rear visibility very little? I'm 6'3'' and when the dvd is down it nearly blocks out the entire middle third of my view out the back window. This was an easy decision for me because I felt the safety issues far outweighed the look of the overhead dvd. I also am more interested in the headrest dvd system because of the ability to watch two different things. I'll probably start with inexpenisve headrest strap ons like this http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=367591 and if they work out then eventually get some custom ones put into the headrest.
6'3" here also, and yes it blocks almost the entire view of the rear window. I can still see around it enough that I don't think it is a safety issue. The side mirrors are enough for when the DVD is down. Which isn't so often.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top