·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory spec tires sizes include:

18": 255/65/18
19": 255/60/19
20": 255/55/20

For any of you running a wider tire (275 or 285, most likely on aftermarket wheels), are you getting any scrubing or rubbing?

Please specify your tire size (if applicable). Also, your wheel offset (if known).

(i.e. 275/50/20, 285/50/20[/color], 285/40/22) red[/color] = largest, most likey tire to rub, but the one that offers the most choices.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Judging from the minute amount of clearance of the bottom strut spring mount and the stock tire/wheel combo, any changes of the tire size will have to be monitored very carefully. Changing the tire to something bigger or wider may necessate a change in the wheel offset. This, in turn, may cause issues with fender rubbing or strut rubbing. Be sure to measure twice and buy once!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am interested in the same thing (for winter tire purposes). There is only about a 1-1/4" clearance from the wheel housing to the tire so I think any increase to the diameter will cause rubbing or snow "blow through" issues with snow trying to move up and over the tire getting stuck.

As far as width, I have yet to get any information on that. One of us might just have to suck it up and get a set of the 275's and see if that 8% width increase works w/o rubbing. Seeing as I live in AK and winter is almost here, I might be the first. I'll keep you posted.

FunkD

Someone also mentioned the idea of going with 245's...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None of the tire sizes above increase the diameter significantly. It is the tire width that is primarly changing.

The most likely scrubbing would be done during turns.

I have been in contact with Stevenbekah and Rocafella. I think Steven had the 285/40's and Rocafella had the 285/50's. Both stated they are getting zero rubbing.

However, your offest will play a role as well. A higher offest actually brings the tires inward further. I think a +40 offest (factory is about +50) is "offsetting" the diffrence in width and keeping the wider tire from rubbing on the inside. I believe Steven's wheel's may have been approx +40.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts