GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 275/45/22 tire made by Avon, the Tech ST. Its not the proper plus size upgrade, but very close. Its rated #1 on Tire Rack's website in the Street/Sport Truck All-Season category. Most(All?) 22" tires I have found tend to be in the Summer tire category, which does not leave me any room to keep them on all year round through the Chicago winter. Nuts I know, but an option I have been kicking around...

Sidewall hieght comes down by 1.66, section width increases by .79. So it would look the part. However of concern is the overall diameter and circumference. Diameter goes UP by .69 and circumference goes UP by 2.18.

So my question is...will the increase in diameter cause the tire to rub? The larger circumference throws off the revs per mile which in turns makes my speedometer off by 1-2 mph higher than stated.

Looking for thoughts on this tire size and whether or not it would be worth the hassle. And how bad will ride quality suffer?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you checked out the Falken tires, specifically the S/TZ04 285 40 22 tire. They have a 50000 mile warranty, are lighter, the proper plus size, higher load rating, rim protector, deeper tread (as compared the the Avon tires) and are all season rated. They are not offered at tire rack though. I dont have a cost comparision either. The winter will ruin a set of wheels in as little as a week. After checking the clearances with my stock tires I would be worried about going any taller. good luck

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Everything I have read on this forum indicates that there is almost no extra clearance in the wheel wells. It seems like a risk to move to anything that increases the overall width or diameter.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked into the Falken Ziex, but reviews didn't sound very good. I know 2 users on this board who have 22's are using them and seem to be satisfied, but reading alot of alignment issues and blowouts in reviews. Found a Yokohama Parada Spec-X that is rated all-season, in the proper size and appears to have quality ride. The Ocean Mist Outlook is running them in 20'S and the owner is very happy. A bit pricey in comparison to others, but ride comfort is worth it.

After sleeping on it some more I think I need to just accept that I WILL be swapping these in the winter. So I should just go with the proper plus sizing so I don't mess with the electronics and possible rubbing. As long as I can find the most comfortable tire around in the correct 22" size.

·
Registered
812 Posts
:ditto: i had bad experience with the Falken Ziex tire which i bought from Discount Tires, i was running one on a 215/45/18 Rota wheels on my old Civic Si, it tends to develop premature wear especially on the outer threads no matter how many times i did the alignment or rotate my wheels, still the same results.... the grip is below average too.... i change all four at no expense due to warranty until i sold my Si.Dont know if im considering one for the Acadia as the rim protector is a nice feature. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is what I did for my Infiniti FX35, I searched online for the couple sets of 22 inch rims, and a couple sets of tires... Had Discount Tires order them, then test fit those combinations... then purchase the set that worked for me...

Here is my suggestion... If you have a Discount Tire close to you, have them order a set if they don't have one in stock, test fit, and check for rubbing... If it doesn't fit, try a different set. Thats one benefit from purchasing from Discount Tires. The others are free tire rotating and balancing whenever you need it and last, they do price match...

Oh by the way, your setup would be .1 inch shorter than the setup what I want to put on my Acadia with 24s... As soon as I find 24s that I like, Discount Tire will test fit it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts